Cultivated Reef

Manual focus or auto?

And realistically, you'll need a true macro lens to really get much better.

i tried both auto and manual focus with similar results.

looks like a good macro lens is on my wish list.

merry christmas to me!

strawberry shortcake is STN'ing from the base.... testing everything now...

why is there always 1 coral that seems to do bad at any given time....

edit test results:

temp: 79.0

Ca: 380 (haven't dosed yet today, a 20mL dose of BRS brings it to 400)

Alk: 8.3

Mg: 1320

Seems a lot of people have issues with strawberry shortcake acros. Checked phosphates? Both for too high and too low? Is it starving? Just throwing out standard ideas.

Seems a lot of people have issues with strawberry shortcake acros. Checked phosphates? Both for too high and too low? Is it starving? Just throwing out standard ideas.

i don't have a phosphate test kit, but i have evidence of low phosphates (0-minimal microalage, macroalgae won't grow, very pale sps). this is actually the second coral that started to STN from the base in the last week, my formosa did the same thing, i fragged it and it stopped. i also feed this system daily now so i can get some nutrients back into the water.

I would remove all media except carbon and start feeding heavier for a few weeks ... see what happens. Any coral food like reef chili or my favorite, reef roids?

I would remove all media except carbon and start feeding heavier for a few weeks ... see what happens. Any coral food like reef chili or my favorite, reef roids?

i run passive carbon and GFO, the last time i removed my carbon i lost my prized open brain, so i may just cut carbon down 1/2. and i'll take the GFO out. i normally feed reef chili, azox, phyto, and cyclopeeze in my normal mixture. i'm gonna add oyster feast and reef frenzy to the mix next time i make a trip to the LFS.

i run passive carbon and GFO, the last time i removed my carbon i lost my prized open brain, so i may just cut carbon down 1/2. and i'll take the GFO out. i normally feed reef chili, azox, phyto, and cyclopeeze in my normal mixture. i'm gonna add oyster feast and reef frenzy to the mix next time i make a trip to the LFS.
Go to my 40/46 thread and look for a link to a feeding article in the last 2 pages. It is an experiment with various foods and coral growth. Reef Chili and Reef Roids were far better than other more expensive artificial foods. I'll try and find it, but android tablet copy and paste is not easy. :)

This post: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313924-marks-40b-and-46-bow/?p=4579823

Go to my 40/46 thread and look for a link to a feeding article in the last 2 pages. It is an experiment with various foods and coral growth. Reef Chili and Reef Roids were far better than other more expensive artificial foods. I'll try and find it, but android tablet copy and paste is not easy. :)

This post: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313924-marks-40b-and-46-bow/?p=4579823

thanks! will do.

do you thing i should frag the SSC to try and save some of it?

thanks! will do.

do you thing i should frag the SSC to try and save some of it?

Can't help there. With having AEFW and not knowing it for months I'm not sure what works with acros. I have both fragged and superglue dead areas of stylophora with great success. Maybe just plop some superglue on the dead area?

Can't help there. With having AEFW and not knowing it for months I'm not sure what works with acros. I have both fragged and superglue dead areas of stylophora with great success. Maybe just plop some superglue on the dead area?

its the whole base... i'll post a pic, i think i i may just frag it and mount it on a plug to be safe.

i don't have a phosphate test kit, but i have evidence of low phosphates (0-minimal microalage, macroalgae won't grow, very pale sps). this is actually the second coral that started to STN from the base in the last week, my formosa did the same thing, i fragged it and it stopped. i also feed this system daily now so i can get some nutrients back into the water.

Same thing happened to me. My water was too clean and I lost half of my mini colony. Now that I have drastically reduced the amount of biopellets that I am I using, the PE is coming back but the color is slow to return.

Same thing happened to me. My water was too clean and I lost half of my mini colony. Now that I have drastically reduced the amount of biopellets that I am I using, the PE is coming back but the color is slow to return.

hmm. i should just take the skimmer offline lol. for whatever reason my water is just too clean. maybe a water change with water from the frag tank would be better. there's more nutrients in the frag tank.

:/ everything was going so well until this morning. agh

hmm. i should just take the skimmer offline lol. for whatever reason my water is just too clean. maybe a water change with water from the frag tank would be better. there's more nutrients in the frag tank.

:/ everything was going so well until this morning. agh

Are you skimming really wet? If you think it is too low nutrients, you could make the skimmer skim dry for a bit and see what they does. You could also just have the skimmer shut off for a few hours every day and see what that does too. There is a lot of trial and error and a great many variables :(

Are you skimming really wet? If you think it is too low nutrients, you could make the skimmer skim dry for a bit and see what they does. You could also just have the skimmer shut off for a few hours every day and see what that does too. There is a lot of trial and error and a great many variables :(

i have it skimming very dry. what collects is almost black. lol i posted a pic a few days ago but here it is again:

11346652953_8702b56a39_c.jpg
this is about a week of collection.
Yum by TheKleinReef, on Flickr

If it were me, I would keep the skimmer going and up my zeovit additives. Maybe more Phol's Xtra? Remind me how much are you feeding your fish daily? You are not running any GFO or carbon dosing, right? I don't see any mentioned on your equipment list.

i have it skimming very dry. what collects is almost black. lol i posted a pic a few days ago but here it is again:

11346652953_8702b56a39_c.jpg
this is about a week of collection.
Yum by TheKleinReef, on Flickr

If it were me, I would keep the skimmer going and up my zeovit additives. Maybe more Phol's Xtra? Remind me how much are you feeding your fish daily? You are not running any GFO or carbon dosing, right? I don't see any mentioned on your equipment list.

i feed my fish 2-3x a day with spectrum pellets and cyclopeeze.

no carbon dosing.

i'm using 6 tbsp of GFO passively but i'm taking it out now.

i decreased from 8 to 4 tbsp of rox 0.8 carbon (last time i ran 0 carbon i ran into problems)

i feed my fish 2-3x a day with spectrum pellets and cyclopeeze.

no carbon dosing.

i'm using 6 tbsp of GFO passively but i'm taking it out now.

i decreased from 8 to 4 tbsp of rox 0.8 carbon (last time i ran 0 carbon i ran into problems)

I agree with removing the GFO. Try feeding some frozen stuff and get all the juices into the water if you can. That should make things happier. Keep us informed as to how things respond and we can go from there.

I agree with removing the GFO. Try feeding some frozen stuff and get all the juices into the water if you can. That should make things happier. Keep us informed as to how things respond and we can go from there.

don't take out the gfo? should i decrease the amount?

edit:

current amount:

GFO: 4 tbsp

Carbon: 4 tbsp

don't take out the gfo? should i decrease the amount?

edit:

current amount:

GFO: 4 tbsp

Carbon: 4 tbsp

I would take out the GFO completely if you believe that nutrients are low. I would leave the carbon in.

How is coral growth lately? Unless it is just a lighting/camera issue, your recent pics of your acros make them look very white.

I would take out the GFO completely if you believe that nutrients are low. I would leave the carbon in.

How is coral growth lately? Unless it is just a lighting/camera issue, your recent pics of your acros make them look very white.

Growth is insane. 20ppm of calcium consumption per day and new tips are sprouting everywhere. The last picture I took was awful. I was just too lazy to take a better one. As of right now I'm having trouble coloring up two coral: the SSC and the dessalwii. Everything else is looking amazing. The green even came back on my myagi tort. And the purple hue of my deep water is coming back as well.

• Like 1