Top Shelf Aquatics

I feed at night sometimes. It's easy. 2-3 hours after lights out I throw in amino acids which gets a polyp feeding response. Then I throw in the coral foods. Wait 30 minutes without pumps and turn back on everything.

Now to do this once a week you could shut off lights sooner so that it's not past your bed time to feed the tank. My Nasuta likes night time feeds Mr. Klein. :lol:

I feed at night sometimes. It's easy. 2-3 hours after lights out I throw in amino acids which gets a polyp feeding response. Then I throw in the coral foods. Wait 30 minutes without pumps and turn back on everything.

Now to do this once a week you could shut off lights sooner so that it's not past your bed time to feed the tank. My Nasuta likes night time feeds Mr. Klein. :lol:

Night feeding is easy 9-10pm is manageable. I do that now, But I couldn't wake up at 3-4am to feed the system. Lol

K+ is at 404. perfect. now i'm going to test in 7 days to see weekly consumption. hopefully i can figure out the consumption pattern. i'll probably have to keep testing for a few weeks to really get an accurate picture of K+ consumption.

corals are responding well to the zeovit products. polyp extension is much better than it has been. i'm gonna try and snap some pics this week. pink colors are starting to brighten up as well, hopefully i can get my strawberry shortcake to color back up.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

:D i can't wait! i think these blue bottles just compound the effects of my SPS addiction... baha

I also KNOW.... they are working because my pink milli and red planet are finally starting to encrust and show different polyp extension, and color shift MONTHS after being added...I got them before MACNA! LOL

• Like 1

I also KNOW.... they are working because my pink milli and red planet are finally starting to encrust and show different polyp extension, and color shift MONTHS after being added...I got them before MACNA! LOL

red corals are my biggest problem right now. the pink hue in my mille and SSC are coming back, but my red and green birdsnest is almost a fait orange/yellow and my red monti digi has a grey undertone. which is why i haven't bought a red planet, red dragon, etc.

hopefully zeovit will be my savior

jedimasterben

Not enough food. Their polyps are primarily to take in food, they contain little zooxanthellae, so it is in their best interest to keep them drawn in during the day unless they can benefit from it, aka food. :)

Not enough food. Their polyps are primarily to take in food, they contain little zooxanthellae, so it is in their best interest to keep them drawn in during the day unless they can benefit from it, aka food. :)

sooooooo i should feed moar?!

you have to retrain them to know there is food available during the day. Throw in coral aminos then throw in coral food.

mk. i shall try this!

moved some frags from the frag tank over to the 65 to see how they look under t5s. among the frags were some zoanthids, hopefully i can get them to actually open up... also did another redbug dip, man i think i may need to treat the whole tank...

jedimasterben

got any good recipes?

"Pappone Recipe“ Italian Coral Food (Updated 12/20/2006)

Materials:

5 Oysters

5 Mussels

5 Clams

5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)

1 Tablespoon of Sugar

200 mL of RO/DI water

10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)

and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all. You want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AAs, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don't have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don't forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

"Pappone Recipe“ Italian Coral Food (Updated 12/20/2006)

Materials:

5 Oysters

5 Mussels

5 Clams

5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)

1 Tablespoon of Sugar

200 mL of RO/DI water

10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)

and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all. You want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AAs, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don't have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don't forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

you told me about this before... isn't this the recipe you said to use when running blu coral?