Cultivated Reef

Redbug update: no visible signs but I'm sure they'll be back.

Coral update: sps are growing like mad. I didn't notice it because I was so worried about the color. Turns out my Ca dropped from 430 to 400 in a little over 2 days! It shows too. New stubs are appearing off of many sps's main branches.

Lighting update: only running all 6 bulbs for 3 hours total is doing wonders. Most of the day I run 2 blue+ 1 coral+ and 1 purple+. I've grown a liking to the combo as well.

BRS order should be here by Thursday. Can't wait to start a mini Zeo regimen. (Thanks nanotopia) ;)

• Like 1

my favorite LPS. just grabbed a quick pic and edited it. i'm going to try and get better pics soon.

11196406105_1156c5b628.jpg
I need to get better at photography, capturing this shot effectively is a goal of mine
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

I need to get better at photography, capturing this shot effectively is a goal of mine

11196476716_84576356e5.jpg

What are you wanting to do differently? Get the whole coral in focus?

What are you wanting to do differently? Get the whole coral in focus?

i want the branch growing towards the camera clear, while the back branches are blurry. i kinda did it, but i need to perfect it.

jedimasterben

i want the branch growing towards the camera clear, while the back branches are blurry. i kinda did it, but i need to perfect it.

Decrease your aperture (well, technically increase, but a lower number lol) and you'll get a shallower DoF.

• Like 1

Zeovit seems cool, but it looks like so much work with the daily dosing and stuff. What do people do if they are gone for a weekend and mix something up in their regimen?

I use a couple of zeo products. But anybody will agree my tank is the the anti-zeo, it is so nutrient rich. :lol:

What products do you use? Did you notice any differences? I always wondered what kind of results people get when they use a few products and not the full zeovit system.

i guess when they people on the forums say it's a commitment they really don't lie. but the results are clearly evident. something must be working. i still don't know how it all works but i'm dipping my toes in. my BRS order just arrived (pohl's extra, coral vitalizer, b-balance, and sponge power). along with a potassium test kit and elos potassium pro additive.

• Like 1

Welcome to the blue bottles, Klein :). I've been trying this sort of sorta-Zeo for a couple of months now and I for sure get better growth and colour. Probably not as much as a full Zeo setup, but I've been happy with it.

• Like 1

Welcome to the blue bottles, Klein :). I've been trying this sort of sorta-Zeo for a couple of months now and I for sure get better growth and colour. Probably not as much as a full Zeo setup, but I've been happy with it.

hopefully zeovit doesn't get too addicting...

haha i plan on going full zeo once college is done and i'm home to actually keep up with the regimen. but as for now, i'm just learning!

:)

• Like 1

K+ is at 320.

elos potassium directions aren't too specific, so i dosed 10mL and i will test later today.

the directions say 5mL/26g. so i definitely under-dosed, but that's better than overdosing in my opinion.

• Like 1

woot, pics just for fun!

11209674763_34fce4f6c6_z.jpg
image by TheKleinReef, on Flickr
already running out of room for additives/supplements/foods,etc.!
  • Like 1

haven't posted a pic of this beauty in a while:

12-4-13: K+ 320ppm dosed 10mL
12-5-13: K+ 340ppm dosed 5mL
looks like 10mL was still too much, and what blows my mind is the bottle recommended i dose 20mL! that just goes to show you shouldn't follow bottle directions verbatim.
  • Like 2

Raise to 380ppm, stop dosing, wait a day, test again, dose if necessary.

I read the article from AA that Ben posted a link to, IMO no too much groundbreaking info in it but a nice package of information more geared to LPS. One thing I did find interesting was this...

"It must be noted that heavy feeding of corals can have its drawbacks. In our lab at Wageningen UR, we studied the short-term effects of zooplankton feeding on light and dark calcification rates of the coral Galaxea fascicularis. Although feeding had little effect on growth under light conditions, in total darkness, calcification rates of fed corals were close to zero (Wijgerde et al. 2012b). Our current hypothesis is that dark calcification is inhibited by heavy feeding due to a temporary acidosis of coral tissue, caused by increased metabolic activity. During night time feeding, corals may invest energy into soft tissue growth and organic matrix synthesis, rather than calcification." (Taken from online article, Dec 5 2013, Tim Wijgerde, Ph.D, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/12/aafeature.)

This was related to Galaxea fascicularis, but I wonder if the same is true for Acropora spp., seems logical it would be, at least to some extent. This would mean it might more beneficial to feed in the early morning before lights on rather than at night when lights go off, the energy would then be used for calcification in a greater way.

• Like 2

Raise to 380ppm, stop dosing, wait a day, test again, dose if necessary.

I read the article from AA that Ben posted a link to, IMO no too much groundbreaking info in it but a nice package of information more geared to LPS. One thing I did find interesting was this...

"It must be noted that heavy feeding of corals can have its drawbacks. In our lab at Wageningen UR, we studied the short-term effects of zooplankton feeding on light and dark calcification rates of the coral Galaxea fascicularis. Although feeding had little effect on growth under light conditions, in total darkness, calcification rates of fed corals were close to zero (Wijgerde et al. 2012b). Our current hypothesis is that dark calcification is inhibited by heavy feeding due to a temporary acidosis of coral tissue, caused by increased metabolic activity. During night time feeding, corals may invest energy into soft tissue growth and organic matrix synthesis, rather than calcification." (Taken from online article, Dec 5 2013, Tim Wijgerde, Ph.D, http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/12/aafeature.)

This was related to Galaxea fascicularis, but I wonder if the same is true for Acropora spp., seems logical it would be, at least to some extent. This would mean it might more beneficial to feed in the early morning before lights on rather than at night when lights go off, the energy would then be used for calcification in a greater way.

i wonder if there's a way to test it. but i don't want to wake up at 5am to add food to the system. i think this is still to scientific for me. i'm a KISS kinda guy. hah

will do about the K+ i'll test again tonight/tomorrow to see where i'm at. i suspect i'll be around 350-360.

• Like 1