Cultivated Reef

"Pappone Recipe“ Italian Coral Food (Updated 12/20/2006)

Materials:

5 Oysters

5 Mussels

5 Clams

5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)

1 Tablespoon of Sugar

200 mL of RO/DI water

10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)

and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all. You want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

Procedure: One hour prior to turning off your lights, you have the option of adding Amino acids to the tank. (For example, 11pm Halides off, add AAs, 12am, actinics off, then add pappone). Take off the cup of your skimmer, but leave the skimmer running (so you don't have a massive drop in O2 levels overnight). After the lights are off, start with only a ¼ of a cube per WEEK for every 400 L of tank water (approx 100 gallons). Be sure to measure NO3 and PO4 the next morning so that these parameters don't spike after feeding. You can reduce the amount fed if you are having nutrient problems. Also don't forget to put the skimmer cup back on the next morning before the lights go back on.

Just throw in some "Reef Frenzy" and call it a day, I don't feed it often but every time I do every thing goes nuts for it.

• Like 1

Just throw in some "Reef Frenzy" and call it a day, I don't feed it often but every time I do every thing goes nuts for it.

haha, is that frozen food? i think my LFS has it, i've been meaning to grab some but i always forget.

jedimasterben

you told me about this before... isn't this the recipe you said to use when running blu coral?

When running anything. It's super high protein, and is great stuff.

It's basically the same thing lol, just costs more. My fish do all love it.

• Like 1

haha, is that frozen food? i think my LFS has it, i've been meaning to grab some but i always forget.

Yep, I usually don't raise it like I do normally with other frozen foods. I just break a small piece from the package and let it thaw in a cup of tank water, from the smell alone you know it's fresh. I have a few acros that will slime up when I do this.

• Like 1

Yep, I usually don't raise it like I do normally with other frozen foods. I just break a small piece from the package and let it thaw in a cup of tank water, from the smell alone you know it's fresh. I have a few acros that will slime up when I do this.

i shall try this!

I usually wait for lights out and x3 a week I turn off all pumps, mix some oyster feast, KZ coral vitalizer, and reef chili and baste it onto the my SPS with my turkey baster. I've seen some of my bigger polyps grab and eat some of the bigger stuff so I know it is doing something.

I usually wait for lights out and x3 a week I turn off all pumps, mix some oyster feast, KZ coral vitalizer, and reef chili and baste it onto the my SPS with my turkey baster. I've seen some of my bigger polyps grab and eat some of the bigger stuff so I know it is doing something.

i usually do this once a week, maybe i should up it to 2-3x

i usually do this once a week, maybe i should up it to 2-3x

Ya, it couldn't hurt.... unless the algae takes over lol. I find that I can feed pretty much as often/as much as I want with the biopellets, so I do it. :D

did a small barrage of tests!

Ca: 410

Alk: 7.7 (tad high, but its been stable at 7.7 for 3 weeks)

K+: 398

temp: 79.2

things are looking good. zoanthids are actually opening up. :o:D

if i can keep them alive i'm gonna get my hands on some fancy ones. :P

• Like 2

got any good recipes?

right now i feed this concoction:

seachem fuel

phyto

azox

reef chili

cyclopeeze

anything i should add?

The question is what shouldn't you add. :)

A list of what I feed corals in rotation:

Live phyto or preserved

Live rotifers or preserved

Live BBS

Decapsulated brine eggs

Golden pearls 0.5 micron food

Reef cleaners filter feeder formula

Marine snow

Fuel

Reef Chilli

Oyster feast

Vitamins

Amino acids

Carbohydrates

LRS reef frenzy is getting noticed. Which is the same result as the pappone.

Coral smoothie is very good too. Reef roids have the correct particle size as does reef chilli.

• Like 2

Anyone else think it's weird that my tank uses 20ml of alk solution per day to stay at 7.7 but I only need to dose calcium once a week to go from 400 to 410? Should I dose a smaller amount each day?

It's weird to me because my frag tank uses 20ml of both per day....

Na imbalance from dosing too much ALK/Ca and not enough WC's. Happened to me a couple of years ago, I did some big WC's and things improved within a week. Since then I never skimp on changing water when dosing two part.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Na imbalance from dosing too much ALK/Ca and not enough WC's. Happened to me a couple of years ago, I did some big WC's and things improved within a week. Since then I never skimp on changing water when dosing two part.

#winning

• Like 1

#winning

Na as in sodium?

just checked my log, haven't done a water change in almost 2 months.... :o

i'll get right on that.

• Like 1

Also, a thing to note.

TN from the base and poor colour is generally a chemistry imbalance, or salinity/SG is off. You can have salinity readings within normal range but your chemistry may be totally off. The refractometer tells you very little.

TN on the tips "burnt tips" indicates one or more elements is OD (out of balance). Ca, ALK, K, Sr, Mg, are some of the big culprits for this.

Secret for success...

Keep NSW parameters and do 10-15% WC weekly, cross check salinity/SG with two different instruments and check twice a week.

Na as in sodium?

just checked my log, haven't done a water change in almost 2 months.... :o

i'll get right on that.

Yes Na as in Sodium :)

Change 30% x 4 over the next 10 days. Watch colours improve by Christmas :)

• Like 1

Also, a thing to note.

TN from the base and poor colour is generally a chemistry imbalance, or salinity/SG is off. You can have salinity readings within normal range but your chemistry may be totally off. The refractometer tells you very little.

TN on the tips "burnt tips" indicates one or more elements is OD (out of balance). Ca, ALK, K, Sr, Mg, are some of the big culprits for this.

Secret for success...

Keep NSW parameters and do 10-15% WC weekly, cross check salinity/SG with two different instruments and check twice a week.

Yes Na as in Sodium :)

Change 30% x 4 over the next 10 days. Watch colours improve by Christmas :)

no tissue necrosis anywhere and colors are already improving thanks to the KZ products.

i probably won't do 30% because my clams always look ghastly after anything over 10%

parameters seem pretty good except for mg which is a tad high at 1350.

alk: 7.7 (this is a touch high, but it stable so i decided to keep it here)

ca: 410

• Like 1

Fair enough, then start doing 10% water changes twice a week for the next 30 days. PITA I know but when you see everything improve it will seem worth it :)

Fair enough, then start doing 10% water changes twice a week for the next 30 days. PITA I know but when you see everything improve it will seem worth it :)

i remember doing this with my old 10g tank, and i think it was you that recommended lots of water changes to fix it. its funny how i'm potentially running into the exact same problem again. <_<

• Like 1