Coral Vue Hydros

Some people have said they fair well with highly aerated water as well but I'm not sure how accurate that claim is.

everything needs highly aerated water right? lol

i have a ric in the frag tank that i've had forever. might move that one to this tank as well. its bright red with a yellow mouth.

• Like 1

Might have to come over to help you with something or the other even if you're done re scaping. Might leave with the yuma in my purse.

bahaha. my mom picked it out. along with the green torch. (for a total of 3 torch corals lol)

• Like 1

Sucks about the slimer but on the bright side the dual islands look great.

my tank is curse i guess. all my old colonies that were starting to grow like weeds started to die. now they're growing like weeds in my frag tank. i guess if they're growing somewhere it's okay... :/

thanks for the compliment on the scape. i acually came home today and one of them collapsed. so i had to do some major reconstruction... i think it's sturdy now...

that urchin can really knock stuff around.

What the hell could it be. Tanks are hooked together, right? A flow or lighting issue? Something wrong with the lights? I can't kill my slimer, and I've tried numerous times (not on purpose).

What the hell could it be. Tanks are hooked together, right? A flow or lighting issue? Something wrong with the lights? I can't kill my slimer, and I've tried numerous times (not on purpose).

nope two seperate systems. the slimers in the frag tank all 7 of them (lol) are doing fine. growing like mad. the one frag in the 65 is melting away.

specs of each:

display:

65 g

2 vortech mp10wes

asm g-1 skimmer

1" miracle mud

ball of caulerpa

GHL doser dosing alk 4x/day, ca 4x/day, mg 1x/week

feed daily

ati 6x39 (6 bulb peak for 2 hours.)

5 fish 1 shrimp

frag tank

50g 12" tall

2x250w halides @ 18"

2 koralia 1000gph

reef dynamics ins-80 skimmer

LR in sump

GHL doser alk 4x/day, ca 4x/day mg 1x/week

2x250W 14K halides

corals rarely fed.

3 fish 1 shrimp

nope two seperate systems. the slimers in the frag tank all 7 of them (lol) are doing fine. growing like mad. the one frag in the 65 is melting away.

Then I think it's clearly contamination, almost without a doubt. Maybe some copper got in, a brass screw, bad silicone, etc? Have you put in some polyfilter to see if you get a coloration indicating contamination. I'm also thinking of recent findings of copper wire in some maricultured corals.

Then I think it's clearly contamination, almost without a doubt. Maybe some copper got it, a brass screw, bad silicone, etc. Have you put in some polyfilter to see if you get a coloration indicating contamination.

would it really only effect one coral?

would it really only effect one coral?

Get over the seemingly common sense observations. The answer to all of these types of questions, when dealing with nature, is almost always YES IMO. :) And you say these are the oldest corals, so the ones longest exposed to any contamination. Sounds similar to a contamination building up in the body.

Regardless, because of course nothing is definitive here, it's worth a test or two to check. Green Slimers just don't melt away, they are one of the most rugged Acropora on the planet. I can't kill one. This fact alone should sound the alarm bells!

my tank is curse i guess. all my old colonies that were starting to grow like weeds started to die. now they're growing like weeds in my frag tank. i guess if they're growing somewhere it's okay... :/

thanks for the compliment on the scape. i acually came home today and one of them collapsed. so i had to do some major reconstruction... i think it's sturdy now...

that urchin can really knock stuff around.

heh I got fed up with rock balancing and did my big rocks all epoxied together as the frame then placed lots of smaller on top. Everything stays put and new growth onto the rubble= easy frag lol.

Get over the seemingly common sense observations. The answer to all of these types of questions, when dealing with nature, is almost always YES IMO. :) And you say these are the oldest corals, so the ones longest exposed to any contamination. Sounds similar to a contamination building up in the body.

Regardless, because of course nothing is definitive here, it's worth a test or two to check. Green Slimers just don't melt away, they are one of the most rugged Acropora on the planet. I can't kill one. This fact alone should sound the alarm bells!

see that just doesn't make sense to me. since i bought the suharsonoi before the slimer and it's more sensitive yet it shows no signs.

I'm gonna cut my loses with the slimer and just get a new frag of it. since it's doing fine in the frag tank i can always try again later.

i highly doubt there's a contamination. logically it makes no sense. i'll try again in a few months.

heh I got fed up with rock balancing and did my big rocks all epoxied together as the frame then placed lots of smaller on top. Everything stays put and new growth onto the rubble= easy frag lol.

i think that's sorta what i did.

• Like 1

see that just doesn't make sense to me. since i bought the suharsonoi before the slimer and it's more sensitive yet it shows no signs.

I'm gonna cut my loses with the slimer and just get a new frag of it. since it's doing fine in the frag tank i can always try again later.

i highly doubt there's a contamination. logically it makes no sense. i'll try again in a few months.

What are the symptoms of copper poisoning? :)

Anyway, I know it's frustrating, I hope everything works out!

What are the symptoms of copper poisoning? :)

Anyway, I know it's frustrating, I hope everything works out!

lethal to corals, crabs, shrimp, and snails.

seems like i ruled that out. i think i just have a suicidal coral. :/

lol

I vote a rabbitfish since I just lost my last one today, I guess I'll just live vicariously through others :(

is there a species that'll be happy in a 65? i was thinking more along the lines of a blenny. but then i have to worry about jumpers

kinda wanna add another fish to the tank, something active. any suggestions that'd be safe with the current stock?

2.5" yellow tang

2" flame angel

2 clowns

1 swalesi basslet

How do you like your flame angel and does it nip at your corals?

jedimasterben

is there a species that'll be happy in a 65? i was thinking more along the lines of a blenny. but then i have to worry about jumpers

Pretty much any of the Siganus species will reach 6-8" in captivity (with the largest recorded wild adult male being 9-14" depending on the species), with Siganus unimaculatus having the smallest recorded wild adult male size of 7", so theoretically that one will stay smaller than the rest.