ReefCleaners.org

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

They're sps nippers in general.

But I had that Kat under lots of PAR give that baby some light! ;)

I also moved my UC Super Blue Vermiculata nearly to the top. I really hope I can get more blue out of it. It's about to pop out branches. Had to move the Fauxkins too. The octospawn was getting within millimeters of wiping it out. lol
  • Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Thanks to the profit made from selling a few nems, I was able to purchase this sweet setup from mptsi05! It's the MarineColor MCD-3-M. He also included the nice dosing containers and tube holder in with the deal! Everything was packed very well and the dosing pump was in the original box with the instructions.

I'm gonna try plugging it in and calibrating it tonight. One of the nice features of this brand of dosing pumps is that I can get an expansion with three more dosing heads for only $60 if I want to dose six things at once.

doser%202015.02.17_zpsmhs9gr9x.jpg

Also, I'm gonna start tracking growth and color on this guy. It's the Super Blue a. vermiculata from UC. I moved it a good six inches higher and more in the center than it was before. That also makes it a lot easier to photograph.

UC%20Super%20Blue%20Vermiculata%202015.0

You can see a combination of green and baby blue at the moment. I hope I can get it looking more like this in time:

ScreenShot2014-09-13at82516PM_zps4a99004

• Like 13
Mr. Microscope

Ok. So, I got the doser working tonight. The pumps seem to be slipping a bit which is going to make dosing somewhat inconsistent, but at least it'll be on the lower side rather than the upper side. At first, the metal rods were spinning without moving any of the parts. I opened up the pump heads and cleaned them up a bit. That got them working. Hopefully, it will smooth out over time.

I'm confused by the programming of this thing. There is a setting called SETUP PROGRAM to change the amount of times you want things dosed and the total mL/day. I set it to 24 times/day (the maximum) and 48mL/day. So, that should end up doing 2mL/hour. The confusing part is that there is another setting called SET WORKING TIME. I want the device on all the time so I set stop time one minute away from start time (so it's on 23:59 hours/day??). Not sure what this setting does or if it applies to the program.

I'm a little nervous about what I'll wake up to tomorrow.

Grrrr...

I think I'm going to just shut it off for the time being(or at least until I figure out the contradictory programming) and wait until the weekend to start using it so that I can monitor the situation while it happens. Otherwise, I'll never sleep.

• Like 1

I've been dorking with my Jebao for a couple weeks now. My primary lesson learned? Run it with RODI water into waste containers for at least 24 hours so you can verify that it's actually pumping what you think it should :) Good luck!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I've been dorking with my Jebao for a couple weeks now. My primary lesson learned? Run it with RODI water into waste containers for at least 24 hours so you can verify that it's actually pumping what you think it should :) Good luck!

Great idea teeny! I'm going to try that tonight. Thank you!

I'll set it up with a 50cc tube and measure it against what I set it for to see how accurate it is.

I am so nervous to get my new Jebao doser set up. I predict that will be a headache. I hope you get your new doser all tuned in correctly.

I imagine new, your Jebao should do the job. I imagine your biggest headache will be dialing in the amount you need. Once your corals settle in, it'll probably double consumption.

I changed my plans to the Marine Color since I had the deal from mptsi05 and I like the capability to expand it to six heads for so cheap.

• Like 1

Old video from Brad aka deckoz is what I used to set it up, now when setting the work time for each individual pump I didn't keep them the exact same and that way neither ever got dosed at the same time. But I only dosed cal and alk and manually dosed mag when needed. So cal working time was 00:30 to 22:30 then alk was 01:30 to 23:30. Something like that to make sure they weren't dosed at the same time.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

My tank will be 3 years old tomorrow. I'm not really sure if that counts though considering the redo (Cube 2.0) that started as of last September.

I finally took some time and got out the camera and tripod last night to take some FTS's. I've gone through a LOT of changes. For starters, I've sold off most of my anemones and replaced them with my growing collection of SPS. I added some branch pieces to put the acros closer to the light and keep them separated. I moved the UC Super Blue, Fauxkins, Saramentosa, Monti Satosa, mystery acro from Cherry Corals, Red Planet, and mounted the Katropora. Since my last FTS, I've also added an Octospawn and a beautiful specimen of Hurlock Acro.

FTS 2015.02.26

FTS%202015.02.26_zpso0acqnr2.jpg

and a version in blue as always:

FTS%20Blue%202015.02.26_zpslrwc6bju.jpg

Here's my FTS from December for reference. You can see all the changes.

FTS 2014.12.23

FTS20141223_zps1d8805ef.jpg

Here's a shot of that Hurlock from above. It's growing really well.

Hurlock%20top%202015.02.26_zpsbwwkgwrr.j

Here's my happy torch. Rather than drooping, it stays up like this when I turn off the pumps. lol!

torch%202015.02.26_zpsud6cpphy.jpg

..a nice close-up of the octospawn:

Octospawn%2001_zpskvza0exa.jpg

This thing looks awesome, but it's been peeving me off lately. It keeps bailing out polyps or tentacle tips and they land in my acans. Every time that happens, the head dies off. grrr..

Shooting around last night, I noticed that the Joe the coral is continuing to take off, or at least one branch of it is.

Here it was back on December 14th:

e1410631-a8ad-49a8-bf14-65c428d35148_zps

Today:

Joe%202015.02.26_zpsqfawchg4.jpg

Finally, I was playing around with angle and grabbed this fun shot of the tank. It kinda give you a better idea of how I see it as I 'm walking around it.

FTS%20off%20center%202015.02.26_zpsyilvv

One note I'd like to add on TLF AcroPower. I ran out of my bottle about a month and a half ago and decided to stop using it for a while to see if any changes occur. I'll admit that I feel I've lost some color. I'm planning to get another bottle and we'll see if things pick back up a little.

• Like 19

Here's my happy torch. Rather than drooping, it stays up like this when I turn off the pumps. lol!

torch%202015.02.26_zpsud6cpphy.jpg

Mine gets all droopy :lol:

Yay, 3 years! I admit, I'm sad to see some of the bubbliciousness go, but your sticks sure are nice. I'm thinking about trying a blue stick so I can get some blue in the tank after the failed clammage, but my duncans are already struggling with the flow :unsure:

• Like 1

3 years old?! Wow, that is impressive! I love all the changes. The branches with the SPS corals are really cool looking. Can't wait to see how that looks once they get fully encrusted onto the branches. That torch is NEON green! Love it and that new octospawn!

So I guess you really like the Acropower? I'm planning to dose it on my new tank once I finally get around to setting up my doser.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Mine gets all droopy :lol:

Yay, 3 years! I admit, I'm sad to see some of the bubbliciousness go, but your sticks sure are nice. I'm thinking about trying a blue stick so I can get some blue in the tank after the failed clammage, but my duncans are already struggling with the flow :unsure:

Thank you Jaime!

I still have a couple small BTA's left on the rock and a few in a basket that I'm still trying to sell. Yes, I've been all about the blue acros lately. It actually seems to be one of the easier colors for me to achieve. I wish I was as successful with pink. My bubblegum milli looks lame..

Oh no! You lost your clam?! So sorry to hear that. You'll also want to consider flow with your fungia. I lost a nice orange one due to having too high flow.

3 years old?! Wow, that is impressive! I love all the changes. The branches with the SPS corals are really cool looking. Can't wait to see how that looks once they get fully encrusted onto the branches. That torch is NEON green! Love it and that new octospawn!

So I guess you really like the Acropower? I'm planning to dose it on my new tank once I finally get around to setting up my doser.

Thank you Felicia! Yes, I'm really looking forward to seeing how everything looks in like six months.

I'm starting to think that my octospawn has to go. I found another bailed out polyp on my Fauxkins and it took out a branch. Grr..

I was never sure how well the Acropower was working, but the results are a lot more apparent after stopping use. I'm definitely going to pick up another bottle the next chance I get.

• Like 3

Thank you Jaime!

I still have a couple small BTA's left on the rock and a few in a basket that I'm still trying to sell. Yes, I've been all about the blue acros lately. It actually seems to be one of the easier colors for me to achieve. I wish I was as successful with pink. My bubblegum milli looks lame..

Oh no! You lost your clam?! So sorry to hear that. You'll also want to consider flow with your fungia. I lost a nice orange one due to having too high flow.

I wish I could fit a BTA in my tank, but a 20 seems a bit on the small side. Plus, I have a lot of coral & RFAs already so I feel like I'd just be asking for one to go on a rampage :lol:

I think my problem is having too much flow. The duncans look like they're getting stretched to the point that they're thinking about tearing off, and the rics are having trouble staying attached to their rocks. But, everyone else seems to like the flow a lot. I took the vortech off yesterday to see what it would be like without it and I'm worried now there's too little. I may fiddle with placement of the vortech and turn it down lower, but keep it in the tank.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Pictures look amazing!! The frogspawn I got from Klein did the same thing for a while. Kept landing on my plates. It's so pretty though.

Thank you Ninja!

I believe ours are the same. Mine came from Klein as well, I think you got one of the heads.

Congratulations on your three year birthday :happydance: That's a huge milestone!

I've had the same experience with Acropower. Sometimes I wonder if it's doing anything, but then I do notice a difference if I miss a weekly dose.

• Like 1
TheKleinReef

Yeah, I to keep mine in very low flow or it kept on releasing pieces of itself. It got really annoying after a while. But that hurlock is looking amazing, once it recovers from the frogspawn disaster it should be a showpiece. ;)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Congratulations on your three year birthday :happydance: That's a huge milestone!

I've had the same experience with Acropower. Sometimes I wonder if it's doing anything, but then I do notice a difference if I miss a weekly dose.

Thank you teeny! I'm glad to hear you've made the same observation.

Yeah, I to keep mine in very low flow or it kept on releasing pieces of itself. It got really annoying after a while. But that hurlock is looking amazing, once it recovers from the frogspawn disaster it should be a showpiece. ;)

lol! Yeah, the flow in my tank is pretty crazy. Your hurlock is one of my favorite pieces now. It's already recovered from the sting and transfer. I can't wait to see how it looks in like six months.

Terrific FTS, and 3 years! Wow. Acros look fantastic.

Thank you mark!
Mr. Microscope

My cleaner shrimp molted for the third time since I got it back in the beginning of January. Yes, you could say it's growing fast! It seems to eat at least one or two pellets every time I feed my fish. This is one happy invert!

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Skunk cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis). I originally wanted the Blood Red Fire Shrimp variety, but it wasn't in the budget (Old Orchard Aquarium near me was selling them for $60! lame...). I got my shrimp at Reefwise for $15.

shrimpy%202015.02.26_zpshl3n2agt.jpg

• Like 3

Nice. They run about 25 at my lfs. The blood reds are usually around 40. I was also considering a peppermint since they seem to be pretty hardy.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Nice. They run about 25 at my lfs. The blood reds are usually around 40. I was also considering a peppermint since they seem to be pretty hardy.

I think the peppermint are a little more risky, though I could be wrong.