SaltCritters.com

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Wow- those pics are fantastic! Great job

I'm done tracking growth on my Palmers Blue prostata and nasuta. I accidentally knocked a couple tips off the prostata while doing maintenance and there is a Joe the Coral growing over the nasuta which obstructs the images. I did, however manage to catch a series of pics for several months. I erased the background from each image, layered them in a stack, and carefully aligned them to make a couple of animations. Each frame represents two weeks of growth. Enjoy! Palmer's BluePB-animation_zpsoi7k6tjs.gif A. Nasutanasuta-animation02_zps9azrqjkz.gif

Gotta bring em to a new page

• Like 5

I'm done tracking growth on my Palmers Blue prostata and nasuta. I accidentally knocked a couple tips off the prostata while doing maintenance and there is a Joe the Coral growing over the nasuta which obstructs the images. I did, however manage to catch a series of pics for several months. I erased the background from each image, layered them in a stack, and carefully aligned them to make a couple of animations. Each frame represents two weeks of growth. Enjoy!

Palmer's Blue

PB-animation_zpsoi7k6tjs.gif

A. Nasuta

nasuta-animation02_zps9azrqjkz.gif

Amazing! The growth you are getting is just insane.

If you ever frag that Nasuta and are willing to ship let me know please. I knew it had potential early but man its turning into a really good looking piece!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Nice!

Thank you Hypo!

Amazing! The growth you are getting is just insane.

If you ever frag that Nasuta and are willing to ship let me know please. I knew it had potential early but man its turning into a really good looking piece!

Thank you Chris!

Yes, it hasn't reached that size yet, but I've been amazed how nicely it's developed from a random LFS frag. You can only see it in the last frame of the animation, but the tips have completely lost all signs of green and pretty much all of the growth is just a stark white which is striking. The polyps are sort of a maroon-brown. From an angle, I'd swear the coral is starting to turn a little pinkish. I'm excited to see where it ends up. I just started using the KZ Automatic Elements. The Pols-B is supposed to help with pinks and reds. So, I'm hoping that helps put it over the edge.

• Like 1

Yes, it hasn't reached that size yet, but I've been amazed how nicely it's developed from a random LFS frag.

Oh yeah definitely not ready to be cut, I was just saying when it is I called dibs :lol:

You can only see it in the last frame of the animation, but the tips have completely lost all signs of green and pretty much all of the growth is just a stark white which is striking. The polyps are sort of a maroon-brown. From an angle, I'd swear the coral is starting to turn a little pinkish. I'm excited to see where it ends up. I just started using the KZ Automatic Elements. The Pols-B is supposed to help with pinks and reds. So, I'm hoping that helps put it over the edge.

Losing the green is something I fulled expected honestly. Most acros show green before their true colors come out, which I'm sure you've noticed yourself before :) I definitely see a pink/purple hue wanting to shine through and I don't think its fully colored up by any means just yet! I look forward to seeing what it does with the KZ products..... Are you running a ULNS now/ is that the end goal if not already there?

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Oh yeah definitely not ready to be cut, I was just saying when it is I called dibs :lol:

Losing the green is something I fulled expected honestly. Most acros show green before their true colors come out, which I'm sure you've noticed yourself before :) I definitely see a pink/purple hue wanting to shine through and I don't think its fully colored up by any means just yet! I look forward to seeing what it does with the KZ products..... Are you running a ULNS now/ is that the end goal if not already there?

Yes, I'm definitely shooting for very low nutrients utilizing All-in-one BioPellets/skimmer/etc. I'm very careful when feeding my fish only a few pellets every other day and I make sure they eat every one. Though, I add a LOT of nutrients to the tank when I feed SPS. However, I'm focused on adding nutrients in the form of food as opposed to dissolved NO3/PO4 in the water. I'm still getting algae. Though, I just refreshed every part of my RO/DI system including the RO membrane. I've been doing large water changes and have reduced my lighting schedule a little. I'm tempted to add a few more BP, but I'm very cautious with those things.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I love palmers blue, esp how you can get that metallic blue color out of it, so cool!

Thank you Jstn! It seems the faster I get it to grow, the more blue it shows.

• Like 1

I have never seen this before! It's awesome!

I'm done tracking growth on my Palmers Blue prostata and nasuta. I accidentally knocked a couple tips off the prostata while doing maintenance and there is a Joe the Coral growing over the nasuta which obstructs the images. I did, however manage to catch a series of pics for several months. I erased the background from each image, layered them in a stack, and carefully aligned them to make a couple of animations. Each frame represents two weeks of growth. Enjoy!

Palmer's Blue
PB-animation_zpsoi7k6tjs.gif

A. Nasuta

nasuta-animation02_zps9azrqjkz.gif

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Those growth animations are fantastic Mr M. How long did it take you to make them?

Thank you Kat! It took a couple hours for each one. Alignment and contrast matching probably took the longest. Setting up the animation is fairly straightforward though. Of course, there was the two week waiting period between each frame...

I have never seen this before! It's awesome!

Thank you Brady!

• Like 2

Yes, I'm definitely shooting for very low nutrients utilizing All-in-one BioPellets/skimmer/etc. I'm very careful when feeding my fish only a few pellets every other day and I make sure they eat every one. Though, I add a LOT of nutrients to the tank when I feed SPS. However, I'm focused on adding nutrients in the form of food as opposed to dissolved NO3/PO4 in the water. I'm still getting algae. Though, I just refreshed every part of my RO/DI system including the RO membrane. I've been doing large water changes and have reduced my lighting schedule a little. I'm tempted to add a few more BP, but I'm very cautious with those things.

With only feeding the fish ever couple days I'd say you have to be adding a ton of nutrients when feeding the corals, other wise I am sure you would completely strip the water. I feed fish fairly heavily daily and throw in a little coral food too right now and still am around .03-.04 with my skimmer and ecobak plus pellets, which is where I target to stay around personally.

Its weird your getting algae with the skimmer and pellets, were you getting a higher TDS reading before changing over the RO/DI? What is your phosphate reading now/ what # are you shooting for in particular? I know some like to have it a little higher so just curious :)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

With only feeding the fish ever couple days I'd say you have to be adding a ton of nutrients when feeding the corals, other wise I am sure you would completely strip the water. I feed fish fairly heavily daily and throw in a little coral food too right now and still am around .03-.04 with my skimmer and ecobak plus pellets, which is where I target to stay around personally.

Its weird your getting algae with the skimmer and pellets, were you getting a higher TDS reading before changing over the RO/DI? What is your phosphate reading now/ what # are you shooting for in particular? I know some like to have it a little higher so just curious :)

Shooting for zero-ish to .04-ish with PO4 and >1ppm NO3. I usually come in around 0.75 or unreadable on NO3. Haven't tested in a while though. My main reason for the algae bloom was the Tech-M treatment though. I eliminated water changes while doing it and didn't bother to trim other pest algaes hoping they would also help starve out the bryopsis. It seemed to have worked. I figure in a couple months, I should be relatively back to being algae free. It's already falling back a little.

• Like 2

Those are really awesome gifs!! Im going to make more of an effort to track the growth of my corals so I can do this too. Nice to see how much growth really happens when it seems to look the same day to day!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Those are really awesome gifs!! Im going to make more of an effort to track the growth of my corals so I can do this too. Nice to see how much growth really happens when it seems to look the same day to day!

Thank you Kim! Let me know if you need any help throwing together the animation. Good luck! It's a lot of fun seeing how your corals change over time, especially when they have a dramatic color shift.

Wow!!

Thank you pico!

very cool Mr. M., love the animation :)

Thank you GHill!

How's the hurlock doing? Still tough as nails I hope.

Yes. It's trucking along quite well! I snipped a small branch off the back that had some recession and when I initially mounted it, I had to snip a few tips, but everything is completely healed and very stable. I expect it to start taking off any moment. It should be growing out of the water in a couple weeks, lol. Thank you Klein!

Amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you cju!

I'm sad that i had to trim a bunch off in the first place. <_<

but that coral grows like mad.

stick of hope march 2014:

https://flic.kr/p/mwcwLT'>13468879995_b47d64a824_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/mwcwLT'>test-acro by https://www.flickr.com/people/113969537@N03/'>xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

stick of hope december 2014:

https://flic.kr/p/qumiCa'>16073385845_c590b696e8_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qumiCa'>12_21_14-2 by https://www.flickr.com/people/113969537@N03/'>xMrKleinReef, on Flickr

i'm excited to see some growth gifs starring this coral as well! :P

• Like 5
Mr. Microscope

i'm excited to see some growth gifs starring this coral as well! :P

Good idea! This will be a great candidate for growth tracking. Hmmm....Gonna see about that.
  • Like 2