SaltCritters.com

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

I hate to hear that man, how big of a population do you think you have?

Not sure, but I don't think too bad. A few of my acros seem unaffected. My palmers blue and bubble gum milli were the hardest hit. I whole lot fell off of those during the dip. I also found a bunch of eggs on them. Now, it the watch and redip period.

Sorry to hear about the aefw. A constant struggle. Happens to the best of us. Or in my case I've had them before, twice. :/

Yikes! Makes you kind of an expert then. How did you eliminate them? I'm using TLF ReVive.
  • Like 1
Nano sapiens

Looks like you are having a whole string of battles :(

Keep at it and I'm sure it'll be back to it's former glory again.

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

I just beat AEFW, hopefully i didnt just jinx myself.. but hang in there.

Good luck! What was your strategy?

Looks like you are having a whole string of battles :(

Keep at it and I'm sure it'll be back to it's former glory again.

Thanks for the encouragement NS!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/fascinating-and-insightful-research-about-aefw

Interestingly it takes 5 to 7 days for AEFW to starve without a host. So if you dip and place the frags in a separate tank the main display should be worm free in a few weeks.

Hey! Neat article. Thanks for the link and tip. That does sound promising.

AEFW! Ouch. Sorry man. You have a fight ahead of you.

Have you experienced them?

Good luck! What was your strategy?

Tore the tank apart, put all SPS in a 10 gallon and did a huge dip in bayer. Did a heavy concentration dip. Couldnt tell you the exact dosage, i started at 1 ml to 100 of water but said screw it and went all in and made it super milky white. Lol, i dont suggest that. Havent seen anything since though, and nothing died in the dip.

Also, the AEFW were munching on my tenius colony that was half dead. So when i pulled it i luckily got the one that the majority were on so i just threw the whole piece out in case of eggs and such.

• Like 1

Not sure, but I don't think too bad. A few of my acros seem unaffected. My palmers blue and bubble gum milli were the hardest hit. I whole lot fell off of those during the dip. I also found a bunch of eggs on them. Now, it the watch and redip period.

Yikes! Makes you kind of an expert then. How did you eliminate them? I'm using TLF ReVive.

Both times sucked. I wasn't fortunate at the time to have any space for a quarantine tank. So I treated the worms in the display. I would dip the colonies in revive. Before each dip I would take a led flashlight and shine the underside of the acros. Egg clusters were along the base of the colony. Then took a knife and scraped the clusters of eggs off. Then dipped the corals. Shook the colonies fairly well in the solution and rinse water to help knock off any worms before replacing back into the tank. Using the flashlight to shine on the acros you start to get a good eye for spotting the eggs and bite marks of the adults. Did this every couple days until no visible signs of the worms. I've also helped a friend do the same using Bayer. Both Bayer and revive works just fine.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Tore the tank apart, put all SPS in a 10 gallon and did a huge dip in bayer. Did a heavy concentration dip. Couldnt tell you the exact dosage, i started at 1 ml to 100 of water but said screw it and went all in and made it super milky white. Lol, i dont suggest that. Havent seen anything since though, and nothing died in the dip.

Also, the AEFW were munching on my tenius colony that was half dead. So when i pulled it i luckily got the one that the majority were on so i just threw the whole piece out in case of eggs and such.

Both times sucked. I wasn't fortunate at the time to have any space for a quarantine tank. So I treated the worms in the display. I would dip the colonies in revive. Before each dip I would take a led flashlight and shine the underside of the acros. Egg clusters were along the base of the colony. Then took a knife and scraped the clusters of eggs off. Then dipped the corals. Shook the colonies fairly well in the solution and rinse water to help knock off any worms before replacing back into the tank. Using the flashlight to shine on the acros you start to get a good eye for spotting the eggs and bite marks of the adults. Did this every couple days until no visible signs of the worms. I've also helped a friend do the same using Bayer. Both Bayer and revive works just fine.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences. I'm planning to check everything again tonight. So, far I've been blowing at them with a pipette and turkey baster and haven't seen any more fly off. Though, I suppose it only takes one to repopulate...

To be honest with you. I would just toss whatever is easily replaced or too far gone. Its hard but that's what i did with two of my pieces which the AEFW targeted first. Pulling them and throwing them out, i feel, is why i ended up getting rid of them so easily. They were heavily attacking those pieces so the majority were on them and i assume all eggs were on those pieces. The worms you see aren't the problem its the eggs.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

To be honest with you. I would just toss whatever is easily replaced or too far gone. Its hard but that's what i did with two of my pieces which the AEFW targeted first. Pulling them and throwing them out, i feel, is why i ended up getting rid of them so easily. They were heavily attacking those pieces so the majority were on them and i assume all eggs were on those pieces. The worms you see aren't the problem its the eggs.

I've been seriously considering that. Thank you for the suggestion.

I figured I might not be able to scrape off every last egg which is why I decided to frag the hell out of the colonies and toss the egg plagued bases. I'm eager to see if I blow off any worms tonight or if I see any eggs. That picture of the worm I found on the glass was taken after I dipped. So...hmm

I've been seriously considering that. Thank you for the suggestion.

I figured I might not be able to scrape off every last egg which is why I decided to frag the hell out of the colonies and toss the egg plagued bases. I'm eager to see if I blow off any worms tonight or if I see any eggs. That picture of the worm I found on the glass was taken after I dipped. So...hmm

I wouldn't blow them off. Just going to give them the chance to go into your rocks if they haven't. When i had them i never saw them anywhere other than on SPS (doesn't mean they aren't still on my rock work). Just take them out dip and throw out whatever is beyond the saving point. The way i thought of it was, if i don't get rid of them ill lose every sps i have and anything i ever get in the future. So the causalities are worth it in the long run as much as they suck.

I did the same thing when i had MEN too. But with those i just tossed everything since its only montis and they are easy to get free from locals.

Its easier said than done though. I cryed a little bit inside when i had to toss my blue tenius colony. It was easily my favorite piece in my tank.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I wouldn't blow them off. Just going to give them the chance to go into your rocks if they haven't. When i had them i never saw them anywhere other than on SPS (doesn't mean they aren't still on my rock work). Just take them out dip and throw out whatever is beyond the saving point. The way i thought of it was, if i don't get rid of them ill lose every sps i have and anything i ever get in the future. So the causalities are worth it in the long run as much as they suck.

I did the same thing when i had MEN too. But with those i just tossed everything since its only montis and they are easy to get free from locals.

Its easier said than done though. I cryed a little bit inside when i had to toss my blue tenius colony. It was easily my favorite piece in my tank.

I figured I'd take them out of the water and try blowing them off in a separate container. But, yeah. Ditching them completely is definitely a strong possibility. I really don't want to get the rest of my SPS infected.

breaking mine down per turf algae. goodluck with yours :)

dang..I've definitely considered another fresh start. I really like my current scape though..

I'm sorry to hear about the AEFW. I had a major scare of the same last week. The only thing was that I could not see any bite marks on the piece in question. I may have gotten a stroke of luck and they may just be the FW that smother corals instead of the acro eating kinds. God knows all the bastards look the same. Good luck with managing them Mr Scope. Also, look into biological control - a wrasse.

• Like 3

Have you dipped them yet? How many frags/colonies are infected? I've noticed they tend to stick to a particular species/colony at first.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

I'm sorry to hear about the AEFW. I had a major scare of the same last week. The only thing was that I could not see any bite marks on the piece in question. I may have gotten a stroke of luck and they may just be the FW that smother corals instead of the acro eating kinds. God knows all the bastards look the same. Good luck with managing them Mr Scope. Also, look into biological control - a wrasse.

I hope you don't end up with the invisible ones. Yikes!

yes! get a wrasse! a pretty one!

Any suggestions on type?

Yes, I've thought about adding a wrasse, but in my limited gallonage (territory) (18 x 18 x 18 cube), I'm not sure about it. A six line might work, but I've heard they can be agressive. The four line I had years ago was a nightmare of a bully.

Actually been strongly considering a royal gramma for the last several months. Nothing to do with pest control, I just think they're pretty and kinda want a third fish.

Have you dipped them yet? How many frags/colonies are infected? I've noticed they tend to stick to a particular species/colony at first.

Yes, I've dipped the affected colonies. There do seem to be several colonies unaffected that I haven't dipped yet.
  • Like 1
Justind823

Sorry for your troubles. Your tank is looking great at least!

I'm a huge advocate for cryptic wrasses. The pink streaked wrasse I had would chow down on the RPFW in my old tank. I think one of them would be just as likely to eat flatworms as a six line

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

Sorry for your troubles. Your tank is looking great at least!

I'm a huge advocate for cryptic wrasses. The pink streaked wrasse I had would chow down on the RPFW in my old tank. I think one of them would be just as likely to eat flatworms as a six line

Thank you Justin!

Cool. I've heard pink streaks are a lot friendlier. I really like the possum wrasses. I wonder if those are flatworm eaters?

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Good luck! There are at least two RC TOTM living with AEFW and I believe they can be managed by interrupting their life cycle if you can't eradicate them via dipping.

Don't know if you've seen this but a good read. https://www.reefs.com/magazine/170076-anatomy-disaster-ii.html AEFW along with a few other disasters.

Interesting! I hope I can manage them. Thank you for the link.
Justind823

Thank you Justin!Cool. I've heard pink streaks are a lot friendlier. I really like the possum wrasses. I wonder if those are flatworm eaters?

Oh yeah. You'll never see a bit of aggression from one of those wrasses. Very peaceful.

I'd say most likely for the possum wrasse as well. I remember reading a pretty in depth article somewhere about cryptic wrasses and their benefits somewhere, I'll have to look for it. They do however need rock work to hide in and under so I'm not sure if your scape would work well for their needs but it's hard to say.

• Like 1