Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Here's a little less than three months growth on my fauxkins. If you look at the right, you'll see no new growth. All new growth came from

Fauxkins%202015.03.12_zpsimsj6itx.jpg

fauxkins%202015.06.08_zpsjwievmyj.jpg

• Like 7
Mr. Microscope

The theme of today is all blue lighting.

Here's a couple more angles on the fauxkins:

fauxkins%20side%202015.06.08_zpscrqbmtfc

fauxkins%20front%202015.06.08_zpszy482kt

These have been on my rack for like a year. I finally decided to add them to the main display. I don't know if I'll keep them there.

zoas%202015.06.08_zps9aaqqn3v.jpg

The nasuta continues to truck along.

nasuta%202015.06.08_zpsjy180qhk.jpg

My platty has to be one of the most humble pieces in my tank. Nice color, slow growth, near the bottom towards the back, but always happy.

platty%202015.06.08_zpsmpuaeowz.jpg

I love this thing..Hurlock from a few angles.

hurlock%202015.06.08_zpsx0xfmjon.jpg

hurlock%20macro%202015.06.08_zps2d5lewty

hurlock%2002%202015.06.08_zpsqyf1epj6.jp

puffy puffy!

acans%202015.06.08_zps5jaajpsr.jpg

Just gonna leave this here:

stylo%202015.06.08_zps4idkdson.jpg'

and this

satosa%202015.06.08_zps8n0gbb1c.jpg

I also mounted the ORA pavona. It has a nice intimate spot with lower lighting and lower flow to keep it happy. It's also right near the glass so it'll be easy to photograph and track growth.

ORA%20pavona%202015.06.08_zpsyeortsre.jp

Quack.

nassarius%202015.06.08_zpsdzeqmxz4.jpg

• Like 18

Those look like some happy SPS corals. Love all the macro shots! Glad to see the tank is doing so well. I love the shades of blue on the fauxkins and the hurlock :)

• Like 1

They are all so beautiful and healthy. Are those puffy ones blastomussa? One of my favoites. I sometimes get them confused with Acans. ORA pavona is so nice now...will be very stunning with some growth on it. Some wonderful pieces!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Great shots, everything looks healthy

Thank you Arce!

Those look like some happy SPS corals. Love all the macro shots! Glad to see the tank is doing so well. I love the shades of blue on the fauxkins and the hurlock :)

Thank you Felicia! Some of them seem to be on cruse control. I hope I can get them all there.

Yes, the fauxkins and hurlock seem to have blue growth tips. Especially the fauxkins. Those are probably my two favorites at the moment.

They are all so beautiful and healthy. Are those puffy ones blastomussa? One of my favoites. I sometimes get them confused with Acans. ORA pavona is so nice now...will be very stunning with some growth on it. Some wonderful pieces!

Those are acans. I really like them too. The whole bottom of my rockwork is dedicated to them ("acan garden").

Yes, I'm really looking forward to seeing the pavona take off. Thank you Mom2many!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Everythings looking beautiful! Love the tiny feather duster growing on the nass' shell :).

Thank you Gena!

LOL, Good eye! I noticed that too. I have them all over my tank, literally thousands of them. Some get on the order of 1cm in diameter. I wonder what will happen when they get bigger on it?

• Like 2

Thank you Gena!

LOL, Good eye! I noticed that too. I have them all over my tank, literally thousands of them. Some get on the order of 1cm in diameter. I wonder what will happen when they get bigger on it?

1000's, thats amazing! My old tank I had years ago had a lot of them. I had a few red ones but mostly other colors. I started the small reef tank I have now with base rock so dont have any in this tank. I was hoping some would come to my tank on a frag but so far nothing. I have been looking for a very small piece of live rock at fish stores, when I go, with a few on it. Amazing one being on a snail!

• Like 2

Love that pavona. I saw some when I visited VIPReef in Miami but my tank is so full with the rock flowers that I couldn't. Maybe one day.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

1000's, thats amazing! My old tank I had years ago had a lot of them. I had a few red ones but mostly other colors. I started the small reef tank I have now with base rock so dont have any in this tank. I was hoping some would come to my tank on a frag but so far nothing. I have been looking for a very small piece of live rock at fish stores, when I go, with a few on it. Amazing one being on a snail!

Yeah, rock was all dry too, but I must have gotten a few hitchhikers. Since I feed my SPS with extremely small food, I imagine it helps to spark the feather duster population.

Love that pavona. I saw some when I visited VIPReef in Miami but my tank is so full with the rock flowers that I couldn't. Maybe one day.

Two words, BRANCH ROCK! I imagine if you threw a few branches in your tank, that you could put some SPS in there. That being said, I really like your tank with just the RFA's in them. ;)
  • Like 1

Yeah, rock was all dry too, but I must have gotten a few hitchhikers. Since I feed my SPS with extremely small food, I imagine it helps to spark the feather duster population.

Two words, BRANCH ROCK! I imagine if you threw a few branches in your tank, that you could put some SPS in there. That being said, I really like your tank with just the RFA's in them. ;)

Once the rock flowers are out of the 34 maybe I can do a piece. Waiting for my BRS replacement filter set TDS was 1 for the first time so I'm changing it out, then I can clean down the top part of the 60 and get it started cycling with my 34's fuge rock and maybe rock from Gertie's tank to have enough bacteria, and I'll put the 60fuge rock in there to get that cycling. All in time.

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Incredible Pavona! I just got a little frag but it's not NEARLY that dark! I'm thinking the high light might be bleaching it.... Time to move it around!

• Like 1

Very nice! That nassarius cracks me up :lol: And he seems very happy despite not having a sand bed!

I still love that pavona. Every time you post a picture it gets a little higher on my wish list :wub:

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Once the rock flowers are out of the 34 maybe I can do a piece. Waiting for my BRS replacement filter set TDS was 1 for the first time so I'm changing it out, then I can clean down the top part of the 60 and get it started cycling with my 34's fuge rock and maybe rock from Gertie's tank to have enough bacteria, and I'll put the 60fuge rock in there to get that cycling. All in time.

I replace mine once a year. That seems to be the ticket. Though, I imagine you're making more water than me.

Incredible Pavona! I just got a little frag but it's not NEARLY that dark! I'm thinking the high light might be bleaching it.... Time to move it around!

According to Reefbuilders, it likes lower light and lower flow.

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/03/01/mint-pavona-pavona-frondifera-offered-ora/

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/11/01/pavona-frondifera/

Very nice! That nassarius cracks me up :lol: And he seems very happy despite not having a sand bed!

I still love that pavona. Every time you post a picture it gets a little higher on my wish list :wub:

Yeah, I was a little worried about having a barebottom tank and nassarius, but they tend to just hang out under my display rock and come out when food is in the water column.

I fell in love with the pavona frondifera last November when Jake Adams wrote about it in Reef Builders. Once UC started propagating it, I knew I had to have a piece. It was just a matter of time.

• Like 2

I replace mine once a year. That seems to be the ticket. Though, I imagine you're making more water than me.

Luckily, our water here in Western NC is very clean as it comes down the mountain and gets pumped in to the water dept. Without filtering it is at 26-36. I just checked it now, it was 44 so I don't know why it's higher. So, this is the first time I've changed it since I bought it my first year of reefing as it was reading 1 and I didn't want that. I also make about 15g every week for my friend so across 5 tanks it's been busy.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Looking great. Those acro, yeah man.

Thanks neuwave! I hope I can bring the growth rate up more with more stable and higher Alk.

I've recently moved my dosing tubes into the DT rather than the sump lately. I figured something had to be going wrong as I was dosing 105mL/day of each Alk and Ca, I couldn't maintain an Alk higher than 7, and all of my sump equipment and sump was rapidly getting coated in calcium precipitate. So fast that I had to vinegar soak them all like once every month or so to keep them working.

After moving the tubes to the tank, my I lowered dosing to 60mL. Again, low Alk. I've been slowly raising it back up and watching Alk. At 105mL/day, I've been able to maintain 7.6-7.8! I just raised it this morning to 115mL/day. I hope that does the trick. My target is 8-8.4. It sucks dosing directly to the tank, but so far the added volume has brought precipitate down to nearly zero.

• Like 1

Great pics Mr M, and the acros look great.

The fauxkins, do you know where you got that? I have something similar from a LFS that orders from A&M aquatics and I believe it is A. jacquelineae, but I could be wrong. I identified a WYSIWYG picture on the A&M site soon after I bought it that was on the same odd rounded plug with an identical branch structure.

They only have one picture at the moment, with what looks like red bugs. :o

On this page: http://www.amaquatics.com/products/aquaculturedList.php#sps

t0rG3t.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks neuwave! I hope I can bring the growth rate up more with more stable and higher Alk.

After moving the tubes to the tank, my I lowered dosing to 60mL. Again, low Alk. I've been slowly raising it back up and watching Alk. At 105mL/day, I've been able to maintain 7.6-7.8! I just raised it this morning to 115mL/day. I hope that does the trick. My target is 8-8.4.

I know the feeling. I use kalkwasser in my ato. Helps with my alk and ca dosing. I'm getting my doser online today to even out the alk dosing. I want to improve acro growth

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Great pics Mr M, and the acros look great.

The fauxkins, do you know where you got that? I have something similar from a LFS that orders from A&M aquatics and I believe it is A. jacquelineae, but I could be wrong. I identified a WYSIWYG picture on the A&M site soon after I bought it that was on the same odd rounded plug with an identical branch structure.

They only have one picture at the moment, with what looks like red bugs. :o

On this page: http://www.amaquatics.com/products/aquaculturedList.php#sps

t0rG3t.jpg

LOL! Keep your red bugs dude! Why would they post that pic?

The Fauxkins came from a local reefer. It was sold to him as a Hawkins, but he soon realized that it has a different growth pattern and color. Hense, he named it the, "Fauxkins." haha!

Good find on that ID! I think you might be right. It's definitely not a turaki. I see both growth forms in that pic, just like I have on my piece. You see the more classic looking hawkins style nubby growth (top of your pic, left side of my pic), but also more more tightly packed coralite like growth (bottom of your pic, right of my pic).

I know the feeling. I use kalkwasser in my ato. Helps with my alk and ca dosing. I'm getting my doser online today to even out the alk dosing. I want to improve acro growth

I have some kalk, but don't have an ATO yet. I'm strongly considering the Tunze Osmolator to try to implement it. It'd be nice to save on Alk and Ca.
  • Like 1