SaltCritters.com

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

As has been obviously apparent by my lack of activity (for nearly 7 months!), my passion for reefing has waned.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%2011.35.

However, I still have my tank going and it is actually somewhat flourishing despite a recent dip in maintenance. I experienced a huge algae outbreak, but replaced the filters in my RODI system and have done some manual removal and larger water changes. I also added a Royal Gramma several months ago and she's gotten quite fat! :)

Here's a recent shot of the tank:

FTS 2016.02.11

FTS%202016.02.11_zpstvrwssov.jpg

and a few more from different angles:

corner%2001%20fts%202016.02.11_zpssla7ml

side%20fts%202016.02.11_zpsolf1fj7u.jpg

corner%2002%20fts%202016.02.11_zpszgkgai

My shrimp is still a happy guy and still gives me regular manicures. He gets a couple pellets every time I feed my fish. He takes them directly out of my fingers. When I target feed my corals, I just coral him into a little basket for a few minutes so he doesn't steal anything and irritate the polyps.

shrimpy%202016.02.11_zpsf8ftxyub.jpg

I grew tired of having my BTA's in a basket on the side of my tank. So, I decided to just put them back on my rocks. So far, they've behaved and not killed anything. There's five in all up there.

top%20down%2002%202016.02.11_zpsmkcj4hp9

My pocci or stylo or whatever it is has grown into a respectably sized piece.

poccistylo%202016.02.11_zpsevsfuolt.jpg

My fauxkins has also really taken off. Here's a few angles on it. The tips came out white in the pics, but in reality they are kind of a baby blue:

fauxkins%2001%202016.02.11_zpsx1dqwd8g.j

fauxkins%2002%202016.02.11_zps0xk5i5cx.j

fauxkins%2003%202016.02.11_zpsqcfoh4pr.j

This guy is tabling out well. I got this as a tiny frag. So, I'm really quite proud of it.

table%202016.02.11_zpsbx6d0mi4.jpg

This thing is trucking along quite well too:

SPS%202016.02.11_zpsvmaifo4l.jpg

My acan garden hasn't really changed much in the last few months, but I haven't spent any time targeting the polyps. So, it is what it is.

acans%202016.02.11_zpsb6axd5vt.jpg

Finally, platty platty!

Platty%202016.02.11_zpszoquvxza.jpg

That's it for now. I'll try to stick around the forum for a few weeks and catch up with everyone.

Mr. M

• Like 18
Mr. Microscope

Wow, so that was not what I was expecting from a so called neglected tank! Everything looks great.

Thank you vlangel! Things weren't looking so hot a few months ago. I've put in some work to bring it back up to par. Adding a new fish helped to spur some inspiration out of me.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Looks great! How do you coral your shrimp? Mine is always stealing food from my LPS!

My shrimp is very curious and really likes me. It automatically climbs up on my hand whenever I put it in the tank to pick under my nails or take food from me. So, it's really easy to just put a basket in there and have him eventually get interested about it. Then, I just lift it up to the top so the edges are above the water and use a large chip-clip to attach it to the side. I'll also throw a pellet or two in there to keep him happy while I target feed.

Yes, it used to drive me nuts when he would steal food from my LPS or nems. He also crawls all over my SPS when I'm using powder food which causes the corals to close up so they don't take the food. I used to chase him around with a pipette and knock into corals and break them. I first tried this a few weeks ago and it has really helped to lower my blood pressure during feedings. :)

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Tanks looking good. Hope you stick around and get your MOJO back. Have always taken inspiration from this tank.

Thank you for the kind words Slow!

It just occurred to me that this tank will be 4 years old at the end of the month!

• Like 4

I love the height on it and that it's just bursting with acans and corals. I haven't seen another tall one like this yet here. It looks really clean and in shape! One of my favorites on NR. You had a different vision for the shape and it works so well.

• Like 2

Hello All,

As has been obviously apparent by my lack of activity (for nearly 7 months!), my passion for reefing has waned.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-12%20at%2011.35.

However, I still have my tank going and it is actually somewhat flourishing despite a recent dip in maintenance. I experienced a huge algae outbreak, but replaced the filters in my RODI system and have done some manual removal and larger water changes. I also added a Royal Gramma several months ago and she's gotten quite fat! :)

Here's a recent shot of the tank:

FTS 2016.02.11

FTS%202016.02.11_zpstvrwssov.jpg

and a few more from different angles:

corner%2001%20fts%202016.02.11_zpssla7ml

side%20fts%202016.02.11_zpsolf1fj7u.jpg

corner%2002%20fts%202016.02.11_zpszgkgai

My shrimp is still a happy guy and still gives me regular manicures. He gets a couple pellets every time I feed my fish. He takes them directly out of my fingers. When I target feed my corals, I just coral him into a little basket for a few minutes so he doesn't steal anything and irritate the polyps.

shrimpy%202016.02.11_zpsf8ftxyub.jpg

I grew tired of having my BTA's in a basket on the side of my tank. So, I decided to just put them back on my rocks. So far, they've behaved and not killed anything. There's five in all up there.

top%20down%2002%202016.02.11_zpsmkcj4hp9

My pocci or stylo or whatever it is has grown into a respectably sized piece.

poccistylo%202016.02.11_zpsevsfuolt.jpg

My fauxkins has also really taken off. Here's a few angles on it. The tips came out white in the pics, but in reality they are kind of a baby blue:

fauxkins%2001%202016.02.11_zpsx1dqwd8g.j

fauxkins%2002%202016.02.11_zps0xk5i5cx.j

fauxkins%2003%202016.02.11_zpsqcfoh4pr.j

This guy is tabling out well. I got this as a tiny frag. So, I'm really quite proud of it.

table%202016.02.11_zpsbx6d0mi4.jpg

This thing is trucking along quite well too:

SPS%202016.02.11_zpsvmaifo4l.jpg

My acan garden hasn't really changed much in the last few months, but I haven't spent any time targeting the polyps. So, it is what it is.

acans%202016.02.11_zpsb6axd5vt.jpg

Finally, platty platty!

Platty%202016.02.11_zpszoquvxza.jpg

That's it for now. I'll try to stick around the forum for a few weeks and catch up with everyone.

Mr. M

WOW! Everything looks great! Things have REALLY filled out too!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I love the height on it and that it's just bursting with acans and corals. I haven't seen another tall one like this yet here. It looks really clean and in shape! One of my favorites on NR. You had a different vision for the shape and it works so well.

Thank you FM! I just wish I could pick up that rock and drop it into a bigger tank! :D

I'm starting to see a lot more purple coralline popping up. I hope that stuff takes over the rocks in place of algae. lol

Everything looks like its quitehappy.

Always like to see the mass of Acans :)

Thank you NS! I just wish the Acans didn't play such a big roll in Calcium and Alk maintenance. I wonder how much they actually consume? Right now, I still need to add approx. 60mL of each Cal and Alk each day to maintain levels. With my next tank (if that ever happens :( ), I'll probably just stick to sticks.

WOW! Everything looks great! Things have REALLY filled out too!

Thank you M2m! Yes, I've seen considerable growth on some things. My green torch on the left started with just one head. There are now five!

• Like 1

I still need to add approx. 60mL of each Cal and Alk each day to maintain levels. With my next tank (if that ever happens :( ), I'll probably just stick to

Growing LPS take up a lot more Ca & Alk than we tend to realize since we don't see growth linearly, as we do in branching SPS.

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

Looking great! I've missed seeing this tank! Thanks for the update! Keep em coming

Thank you Sk8n!

Growing LPS take up a lot more Ca & Alk than we tend to realize since we don't see growth linearly, as we do in branching SPS.

Hmm...I wonder what I could get for my collection of acans?...

• Like 1

My shrimp is very curious and really likes me. It automatically climbs up on my hand whenever I put it in the tank to pick under my nails or take food from me. So, it's really easy to just put a basket in there and have him eventually get interested about it. Then, I just lift it up to the top so the edges are above the water and use a large chip-clip to attach it to the side. I'll also throw a pellet or two in there to keep him happy while I target feed.

Yes, it used to drive me nuts when he would steal food from my LPS or nems. He also crawls all over my SPS when I'm using powder food which causes the corals to close up so they don't take the food. I used to chase him around with a pipette and knock into corals and break them. I first tried this a few weeks ago and it has really helped to lower my blood pressure during feedings. :)

That's genius! I'll have to try something like that.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I was just thinking about you the other day. Glad to see you back around :)

Thanks Ben!

tank looks great! time for another Chicago meet up??

Thank you ninja! Perhaps another one is in order.

Good to see an update from you, tank looks rather good for being neglected.

Hope all is well otherwise.

Thank you Kat! Yes, work has been preventing me from accomplishing much lately. I've also taken up another hobby. So, my focus was diverted for a while. I'm in balancing-out mode at the moment though and trying to keep the tank happier.

Welcome back! How did the clowns take to the Gramma to begin with? Thinking of the same myself but concerned about territory issues..

Thank you Murphy! The gramma was of course shy at first, but it resides mostly in the bottom half of the tank whereas my clowns mostly hang out up top with the nems. I haven't had any issues at all as of yet. The gramma is now out and about all the time and eats with the clowns. Again, no aggression. I'm a little worried what may happen when the clowns start laying fry. They are approaching five years old. So, I expect them to egg-up soon. Hopefully, they will continue to leave the gramma alone. She's such a docile and pretty fish.

That's genius! I'll have to try something like that.

Thank you niQo. I wish I had thought of it sooner. I'd have produced a lot less, "frags.":lol:

Awesome Mr M. The tank still looks fantastic, I hope you stick around more!

Thank you markalot!

Looking good! Thanks for the update :)

Thank you teeny!

I love that pop of green from your torch, such a pretty color contrast.

Me too! It always seems to be one of the first corals that catches my attention when I look at the tank. I just noticed one of the heads has two mouths. So, soon to be six!

• Like 2