inTank Media Baskets

TR0Ns ZEOvit ..::SouthReef::..

SouthFlorida_Tron

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SouthFlorida_Tron
awesome camera. but too much money for me!!! how about letting me borrow it for a week and i'll give it back :D

You can find easier entry level used dslr solutions for less but either way a macro alone is 400-600.... Used or new.

SouthFlorida_Tron
These pics are perfect! It looks like I am saving up for one of these Cannon cameras!

Ya, now I see the buzz behind the 100mm L. It's everything they say it is. Can double as a portrait too. Loving it so far. Can't wait to put it on a tripod!

Ya, now I see the buzz behind the 100mm L. It's everything they say it is. Can double as a portrait too. Loving it so far. Can't wait to put it on a tripod!

Nice to see your liking the 100L, cant go wrong with any of the macro lenses imo, L or not as long as they are designed right. I use the Sigma 150mm which is an award winning lens and it produces awesome photos. You should see how that lens performs on a full frame DSLR like the 5D or 1D series, you'll be amazed

SouthFlorida_Tron
Nice to see your liking the 100L, cant go wrong with any of the macro lenses imo, L or not as long as they are designed right. I use the Sigma 150mm which is an award winning lens and it produces awesome photos. You should see how that lens performs on a full frame DSLR like the 5D or 1D series, you'll be amazed

Im planning for a 7D sometime in the summer if i can get a decent price for my T3i in mint condition :)

Im planning for a 7D sometime in the summer if i can get a decent price for my T3i in mint condition :)

That would be a nice upgrade, though 7Ds are more for sports photography. the 100L macro is a full frame lens so on a crop sensor you the focal length is more so 160mm.

I almost traded my 150mm in for the 100mm L but my girlfriend managed to convince me that I dont need the hybrid IS on the lens as I shoot all my macro on tripods

SouthFlorida_Tron
That would be a nice upgrade, though 7Ds are more for sports photography. the 100L macro is a full frame lens so on a crop sensor you the focal length is more so 160mm.

I almost traded my 150mm in for the 100mm L but my girlfriend managed to convince me that I dont need the hybrid IS on the lens as I shoot all my macro on tripods

I either have an AMAZING copy of the 100L or my non-L was ####e. either way, im happy i sold my nonL and 50mm 1.4 to get this one... hand held shots are coming out great and i cant wait to pull out the tripod and test out the glass without the IS.

what interests me on the 7d (over say a 60d) is its fast AF... erego for sports etc.... and i feel itd be beneficial for what i shoot.... my kid, the fish, (soon to be going to more Miami Heat games).... etc.... so i think in the long run, its a solid choice, i dont ever plan on spending more then $1500 on an actual camera... im not that rich, i can swing 1300-1500 but not 2000 lol i cant comprehend it, even if its FF, im not that "guru" about it

I either have an AMAZING copy of the 100L or my non-L was ####e. either way, im happy i sold my nonL and 50mm 1.4 to get this one... hand held shots are coming out great and i cant wait to pull out the tripod and test out the glass without the IS.

what interests me on the 7d (over say a 60d) is its fast AF... erego for sports etc.... and i feel itd be beneficial for what i shoot.... my kid, the fish, (soon to be going to more Miami Heat games).... etc.... so i think in the long run, its a solid choice, i dont ever plan on spending more then $1500 on an actual camera... im not that rich, i can swing 1300-1500 but not 2000 lol i cant comprehend it, even if its FF, im not that "guru" about it

It could be either, but those photos are coming out nice and thats all that matters ( you are making me consider about trading in my 150mm again lol...)

Sounds like for what you want to shoot the 7D is the way to go. The 5D series although is FF has crap AF...that is probably the worst thing about the 5D along with the price tag that comes with it. I shoot quite a bit of photos and to be honest I still keep a spare XSi around for when I need the extra photo length. Man if I could I would have a 7D and a 5D but that would probably empty out my bank account lol

SouthFlorida_Tron
It could be either, but those photos are coming out nice and thats all that matters ( you are making me consider about trading in my 150mm again lol...)

Sounds like for what you want to shoot the 7D is the way to go. The 5D series although is FF has crap AF...that is probably the worst thing about the 5D along with the price tag that comes with it. I shoot quite a bit of photos and to be honest I still keep a spare XSi around for when I need the extra photo length. Man if I could I would have a 7D and a 5D but that would probably empty out my bank account lol

actually, i had a guest at the hotel the other week with his family have me take photos of them with his own 5dmkII + 24-105L (which i also own) and to be honest, when i tried to press the shutter to aquire focus, it looked like a giant blur in the viewfinder, and the only thing i could go off was the light meter telling me exposure..... it was weird, then i saw the photo on the screen and it seemed fine, very strange for a $2k camera lol

ever heard of that?

actually, i had a guest at the hotel the other week with his family have me take photos of them with his own 5dmkII + 24-105L (which i also own) and to be honest, when i tried to press the shutter to aquire focus, it looked like a giant blur in the viewfinder, and the only thing i could go off was the light meter telling me exposure..... it was weird, then i saw the photo on the screen and it seemed fine, very strange for a $2k camera lol

ever heard of that?

yup, thats the biggest drawback of the 5D/ 5Dmk2, its AF is so bad that its not meant for any action shots. It'll first defocus then refocus, and even then 1/4 of the time it'll focus on the wrong part lol.. What you pay for with the $2k is he sensor to be honest, its hard to manufacture a FF sensor without flaws. If the 5D has true X focus instead of just horizontal and vertical then It would become so much more useful, but we can wish :P quite alot of speculation as to when the 5Dmk3 will be out and what it'll pack inside. Needless to say I'm sticking with my 5D until I see an upgrade that's worthwhile.

I find myself shooting quite alot with manual focus as I own quiet a few MF contax carl zeiss lenses and dont really shoot many action packed shots so the 5D was perfect. But I know the feeling of losing that shot due to the AF on the 5D...its quite annoying

SouthFlorida_Tron
yup, thats the biggest drawback of the 5D/ 5Dmk2, its AF is so bad that its not meant for any action shots. It'll first defocus then refocus, and even then 1/4 of the time it'll focus on the wrong part lol.. What you pay for with the $2k is he sensor to be honest, its hard to manufacture a FF sensor without flaws. If the 5D has true X focus instead of just horizontal and vertical then It would become so much more useful, but we can wish :P quite alot of speculation as to when the 5Dmk3 will be out and what it'll pack inside. Needless to say I'm sticking with my 5D until I see an upgrade that's worthwhile.

I find myself shooting quite alot with manual focus as I own quiet a few MF contax carl zeiss lenses and dont really shoot many action packed shots so the 5D was perfect. But I know the feeling of losing that shot due to the AF on the 5D...its quite annoying

hah, unbelievable... you dont sound like a photographer, you sound like a Photography connoisseur

hah, unbelievable... you dont sound like a photographer, you sound like a Photography connoisseur

lol, Im just a photographer/ industrial designer/ hobbyist :) as with anything I associate myself with, I try and learn as much as possible about it...A few of my friends call me the "walking encyclopedia of aquariums" among many of the nicknames I have now.

from reef central, someone did a straight up test on ai SOL blue, radion, and vertex or w/e...

PAR Numbers @ 12" height

AquaIllumination

Center: 510

6" Left: 180

12" Forward: 120

Vertex Illumina

Center: 118

6" Left: 113

12" Forward: 109

Ecotech Radion

Center: 215

6" Left: 148

12" Forward: 130

PAR Numbers @ 6" Height

AquaIllumination

Center: 640

6" Left: 240

12" Forward: 103

Vertex Illumina

Center: 232

6" Left: 195

12" Forward: 171

Ecotech Radion

Center: 395

6" Left: 226

12" Forward: 158

Link to the thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...8048&page=4

SkullV did another test that is much more in line with what I have seen in other tests and what Sanjay Joshi did in January. Here's the link. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...1150&page=3

My coral growth has been phenomenal everything looks fantastic. Because of the 135 degree optics I get very nice MH like lighting in my tank.

SouthFlorida_Tron
SkullV did another test that is much more in line with what I have seen in other tests and what Sanjay Joshi did in January. Here's the link. http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...1150&page=3

My coral growth has been phenomenal everything looks fantastic. Because of the 135 degree optics I get very nice MH like lighting in my tank.

Every tank is different I guess, every meter is different... I dunno, as far as I know, I wanted a radion but $750 is not worth a risk to know I'm growing corals as well as I am with the sol, it's not broke y fix it...

lol, Im just a photographer/ industrial designer/ hobbyist :) as with anything I associate myself with, I try and learn as much as possible about it...A few of my friends call me the "walking encyclopedia of aquariums" among many of the nicknames I have now.

Lol, nicknames, love it haha

tron you heard anything good/bad things about this

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NEX3A-Digital-C...e/dp/B003LM2K3Y

For that price, u can get a used dslr and lens, this is an example of a current FS classified on Photography-on-the.net forums. Sign up, check it out!

Camera Model: Canon Rebel xsi

Body Condition: 8/10, screen has scuff marks and eye cup is gone (cheap on ebay)

Number of Shutter actuations: unknown

Sale Includes: 18-55mm kit lens, batteries (2), charger, opteka grip, strap, boxes/manuals, and all caps.

Price: $450 shipped

Payments Accepted: PayPal

For that price, u can get a used dslr and lens

Camera Model: Canon Rebel xsi

Body Condition: 8/10, screen has scuff marks and eye cup is gone (cheap on ebay)

Number of Shutter actuations: unknown

Sale Includes: 18-55mm kit lens, batteries (2), charger, opteka grip, strap, boxes/manuals, and all caps.

Price: $450 shipped

Payments Accepted: PayPal

do want a link to that

SouthFlorida_Tron
I know it's going good

Just saying hi

Ah, ya bro, chillin, playin FIFA 12 pro clubs. Bunch of Mexicans online tonight!

Archived