ReefCleaners.org

TR0Ns ZEOvit ..::SouthReef::..

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron
Are you still considering the switch to a radion ?

quite possibly. i have a sweet, sweet oppurtunity on one soooo, its tempting, yet my LFS said its a week module... that the par isnt very strong. imma make a few posts today on a few sites and get feedback specific to the switch from AI SOL....

one more for kicks :)

6840025215_a4749f45b2_z.jpg

From the Side by J.L Photography, on Flickr

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This guy - look omgomgomg! lol

Beautiful corals and clam bro! i can't wait to get down there and look for a job and setup a new tank!

SouthFlorida_Tron
This guy - look omgomgomg! lol

Beautiful corals and clam bro! i can't wait to get down there and look for a job and setup a new tank!

Gogo gadget movers!

Just now:

Canon CA10028LMIS

EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens

USA

Estimated Delivery Date:

Friday February 10, 2012

SouthFlorida_Tron
So they are saying that the radion is weaker than the sol ?

Their information is as reliable as a 3 year olds'

Awww man, I was hoping there was a good fight going on. This aquastyles fight isn't doing it for me anymore.

:lol:

I should try to contact TFF again! ;)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Basically Joel, I have an opportunity to sell my SOL w/ controller, and then get a steal on the radion... But how will I deal with:

Optics vs no optics

Par

Spectrum

It could go both ways...

My main issue is that I have great growth, n you see color to an extent.... But is the upgrade needed-or-wanted

Your tank is shallow so I would make a case that the optics aren't needed. And I think that the spectrum balances out any loss of PAR.

But at the end of the day, who doesn't want the next newest toy? :D

I don't think you'll get enough growth to justify the switch, but I do think your non blue and green coral would eventually look better (not that they don't look great now).

SouthFlorida_Tron

from reef central, someone did a straight up test on ai SOL blue, radion, and vertex or w/e...

PAR Numbers @ 12" height

AquaIllumination

Center: 510

6" Left: 180

12" Forward: 120

Vertex Illumina

Center: 118

6" Left: 113

12" Forward: 109

Ecotech Radion

Center: 215

6" Left: 148

12" Forward: 130

PAR Numbers @ 6" Height

AquaIllumination

Center: 640

6" Left: 240

12" Forward: 103

Vertex Illumina

Center: 232

6" Left: 195

12" Forward: 171

Ecotech Radion

Center: 395

6" Left: 226

12" Forward: 158

Link to the thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...8048&page=4

That's very nice to know that info. When hed did the test he had the AI mounted opposite of how I have mine and I dont have issues with spread. That's a TON of PAR. Its funny I recently turned the intensity down a bit on all timers and the corals possitively responded to that from growth and color. Guess it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

SouthFlorida_Tron
That's very nice to know that info. When hed did the test he had the AI mounted opposite of how I have mine and I dont have issues with spread. That's a TON of PAR. Its funny I recently turned the intensity down a bit on all timers and the corals possitively responded to that from growth and color. Guess it's possible to have too much of a good thing.

Ya. I saw that and all my anticipation of adding spectrum with the radion went out the door, I'm good with my sol lol...

Saying that, I'm still planning to elevate its height from 7" to 10-12" to maximize spread

Ya. I saw that and all my anticipation of adding spectrum with the radion went out the door, I'm good with my sol lol...

Saying that, I'm still planning to elevate its height from 7" to 10-12" to maximize spread

Good choice! I'm not really WOW'd by the spectrum choices from the radion....It's just something I don't need or want. Now the SOL on the other hand I NEEDED and wanted :P

SouthFlorida_Tron
Good choice! I'm not really WOW'd by the spectrum choices from the radion....It's just something I don't need or want. Now the SOL on the other hand I NEEDED and wanted :P

Yaaaa.... Spectrum is more of a want, par is a NEED... Lol, need to figure how to raise my light, my girl is anti me raising our artwork above the tank...

Yaaaa.... Spectrum is more of a want, par is a NEED... Lol, need to figure how to raise my light, my girl is anti me raising our artwork above the tank...

Same boat im in. I may just raise the mirror 2" and she if she notices then just play dumb.. Kinda like when I swapped out my 46" led for a 55" led... She came home and said wow why does the tv look bigger lately.. I just said cause i mounted it on the wall so it looks bigger.. Lol that didn't last but 2 days

from reef central, someone did a straight up test on ai SOL blue, radion, and vertex or w/e...

PAR Numbers @ 12" height

AquaIllumination

Center: 510

6" Left: 180

12" Forward: 120

Vertex Illumina

Center: 118

6" Left: 113

12" Forward: 109

Ecotech Radion

Center: 215

6" Left: 148

12" Forward: 130

PAR Numbers @ 6" Height

AquaIllumination

Center: 640

6" Left: 240

12" Forward: 103

Vertex Illumina

Center: 232

6" Left: 195

12" Forward: 171

Ecotech Radion

Center: 395

6" Left: 226

12" Forward: 158

Link to the thread.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...8048&page=4

Numbers are good and all, but sometimes it's the look that really gets me. I have both the Illumina and the AI Sol and I feel that even though the Sol is an incredible value, I love that the Illumina imitates the look of a metal halide much better. It looks much brighter as well, and the modularity of it allows me to adjust the spectrum to my needs. I just added 3 red modules to my unit and WOW does it make a difference.

Radion on the other hand... meh

SouthFlorida_Tron
Numbers are good and all, but sometimes it's the look that really gets me. I have both the Illumina and the AI Sol and I feel that even though the Sol is an incredible value, I love that the Illumina imitates the look of a metal halide much better. It looks much brighter as well, and the modularity of it allows me to adjust the spectrum to my needs. I just added 3 red modules to my unit and WOW does it make a difference.

Radion on the other hand... meh

That's what the article said, appearance alone, the illumina was very attractive. (lighting wise, not actual fixture lol)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Oh....My....God.... this new Canon 100mm L Macro is .......too say the least, unbelievable, the feel in your hands while it focuses.... the detail level, oh, uhg i could go on, so happy i ditched the Non-L for this one! cant wait to snap plenty of pics today for everyone!

Archived