Pod Your Reef

TRON - SOL Blue - BC14 (soon 22g Custom Pico) - SPS reef

That's a 14?! Wow you've done a lot with it. I guessed I just assumed it was larger cause of what's in it.

SouthFlorida_Tron
That's a 14?! Wow you've done a lot with it. I guessed I just assumed it was larger cause of what's in it.

Lol ya, I surprised a lot of people with the success I've had with SPS in it. BocaIvan came by to snag a few frags from me and was like whoa! That tank is tiny in person! Lol

Wow that's really clean looking. Nice. Did that used to be a BC HQI? I did the same thing but the nano wasn't out at the time so went with the regular one. Looks great!

Yes it is/was a BC29 HQI. Read your thread and seems we went down similar HOT roads, but I just refused to buy a Chiller. AI to the rescue.

Very nice! I like ur scape as well! And welcome

Thanks! Love the BRS Pukani. Ordered 30lbs and only used about 18lbs, but at least got to cherry pick the pieces I wanted to use. Also cut a few down to make a couple small islands which was really easy with hacksaw. Now just looking for first signs of coraline. Hopefully the dry will start looking live soon.

Yes it is/was a BC29 HQI. Read your thread and seems we went down similar HOT roads, but I just refused to buy a Chiller. AI to the rescue.

Thanks! Love the BRS Pukani. Ordered 30lbs and only used about 18lbs, but at least got to cherry pick the pieces I wanted to use. Also cut a few down to make a couple small islands which was really easy with hacksaw. Now just looking for first signs of coraline. Hopefully the dry will start looking live soon.

The chiller was perfect and kept temp very stable. However, it ran all the time an was a huge eyesore. Thats really the main reason for getting LEDs. I'm glad my lfs sold me on the SOL, although they did not profit cause they were out...

I wonder why some people have major problems with the HQI overheating and some don't. I have three pumps running during the day and they are all in the water. Maybe those with the Vortech MP's don't have the heat prob?? I tried with the lid on or off. Still the same. Idk. Anyway I was SOL with the Halide, so I got the SOL. Now I'm good.

Edited by pschom
The chiller was perfect and kept temp very stable. However, it ran all the time an was a huge eyesore. Thats really the main reason for getting LEDs. I'm glad my lfs sold me on the SOL, although they did not profit cause they were out...

I wonder why some people have major problems with the HQI overheating and some don't. I have three pumps running during the day and they are all in the water. Maybe those with the Vortech MP's don't have the heat prob?? I tried with the lid on or off. Still the same. Idk. Anyway I was SOL with the Halide, so I got the SOL. Now I'm good.

I live in Central FL where it gets hot in the summer. I like to keep the house at 78 to keep the power bill in line. Tank with halide would get 82-84 running just 6hrs per day so had to cut my light cycle back to 4 hrs. and drop the thermostat to 76. Was worried about it all the time! Since switching to the AI I had to bump my heater up to compensate for not having the MH heat the tank =) Now it is staying right at 78 with maybe 1 degree fluctuation and I do not have a Temp controller. Also love the adjustability of the AI. All around very pleased with the investment. Amazing color and temp worries gone. Now I just want to see amazing growth... Would love to see some side by side growth comparisons between AI and Halide. Hard to control the parameters for the study I'm sure though. Anyone out there that switched to LEDs from Halides that could chime in on their experiences with growth before and after switching?

Edited by SynRG
Now I just want to see amazing growth... Would love to see some side by side growth comparisons between AI and Halide. Hard to control the parameters for the study I'm sure though. Anyone out there that switched to LEDs from Halides that could chime in on their experiences with growth before and after switching?

On growth, I got minimal growth after the switch until I changed salts. Now it's like 1/8 inch on the SPS everyday. Shrooms don't like the PAR as much as they loved the halide. Sorry if I'm flooding the thread. I'm bored sitting in court.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Just bored playing with my new skimmer & thought I'd share some SPS growth/color shots

6205982831_a5eb809ce0_z.jpg

Valida 8-7-11 by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

6205984189_6d170938dd_z.jpg

Valida 10-2-11 by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

ca6f50cb.jpg

6341947091_943de05ea8_z.jpg

Pearlberry Acropora by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

6206496952_ec6cf58945_z.jpg

Anemone 6-16-11 - Bleached by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

6206346222_978cd55967_z.jpg

2 Clowns by SFL_Tron, on Flickr

Edited by SouthFlorida_Tron
SouthFlorida_Tron

Thx y'all, I haven't even been using a skimmer, but just dropped in the tunze 9002 into the display to break it in for the new custom rimless, just got the ok to set it up once it arrives!

SouthFlorida_Tron
Lol. The ok from who? Or do I need to ask?

My pops... Don't get me wrong, I'm 27, married, 2 year old daughter... Lol but instead of polos & new nikes my parents know I'm into my hobbies but since dslr lenses are sooo $$$ they settled on a new tank, & my dad knows take it seriously so he's just as anxious to see it up & running as I am :P

I am getting alot of responses to a 20 long and will a single SOL NANO cover the setup. I have been telling every one to check out rbaby's build for some pics and to see how the custom stand was made!

Looks like you have somthing going on rbaby! Hope you dont mind Im directing people to your build, but you have done such a nice job eith the single Nano covering the entire tank that Im using yours as a "GO TO" for info! :P

If you have any questions anyone, PM me and I will try my best to answer them or point you to the right location for the answer!

I'm a she :), but thank you! I helped henryc524 spec out the same stand for his, I hope he posts pics too.

saltwatercoral
My pops... Don't get me wrong, I'm 27, married, 2 year old daughter... Lol but instead of polos & new nikes my parents know I'm into my hobbies but since dslr lenses are sooo $$$ they settled on a new tank, & my dad knows take it seriously so he's just as anxious to see it up & running as I am :P

Your tank is packed full of Awesome! And I agree, the Pearlberry is crazy!

I'm a she :), but thank you! I helped henryc524 spec out the same stand for his, I hope he posts pics too.

My bad, about the mix up... You should try to get henryc524 to come on over to the dark side (The AI Club) LOL

Time I join the club...Here's my 30 gal AIO with one AI Sol Blue

imag0337a.jpg

Welcome to the Club! Your now a member! Keep the Pics and updates rollin! I love the cubes, great job!

Here's a LOL FTS :)

cc0a49a1.jpg

"Break in period"

Very nice work SouthFlorida_Tron! I see your getting a new tank up and running here soon! Please say that you adding another tank to the AI family :D How big is it going to be?

SouthFlorida_Tron
Your tank is packed full of Awesome! And I agree, the Pearlberry is crazy!

Very nice work SouthFlorida_Tron! I see your getting a new tank up and running here soon! Please say that you adding another tank to the AI family :D How big is it going to be?

Thx dude, that PearlBerry has come along way, and got lucky, because of the color, it's impossible to photograph!

New tank will be just ass my bc14... 15.5" wide, 14" high, but a meer 24" long!!! Also, no more acrylic, say hello to sexy 3/8" starphire glass!

Thx dude, that PearlBerry has come along way, and got lucky, because of the color, it's impossible to photograph!

New tank will be just ass my bc14... 15.5" wide, 14" high, but a meer 24" long!!! Also, no more acrylic, say hello to sexy 3/8" starphire glass!

I thought biocubes were glass?? Huh.

SouthFlorida_Tron
I thought biocubes were glass?? Huh.

oh, thought mine was acrylic, guess im wrong, either way, it feels cheap and looks it too, this new one is going to be wicked regardless!

While I don't own a AI, I thought I'd post a couple of links to this guy that posted on RC. He has a 470 gallon tank that has AI Sol Blue on it for 10 months.

Check out the thread and especially the vid! You will be amazed!

This might get me off the "LED fence"!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2094893

The video link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/reefkeeper2?feature=mhee

Enjoy!! ;)