Pod Your Reef

saltwatercoral
That's kinda weird because I don't remember taking or posting that picture on here. Maybe I did though. I took more pictures of it today but the glare is so bad they aren't worth posting. I also took a video of the thunderstorm but again, glare is so bad you can't even tell what's happening.

You didn't, I posted a pic of it, lol. I googled images and found this on there Facebook page. The funny thing is that on there website, they still the pics of the old lighting, but Facebook they have pics of the new AI SOLs. Do you work there Forula462?

saltwatercoral
DSC_0059.jpg

heres mine

2 ai sol blues over a 70 cube

Welcome to the Club rrcg50! Pm me a link to a build thread and I will link it to your name! Your in the list of members on the first page! I love cubes they just seem to have a real nice foot print to work with!

IME, 1 would not be sufficient unless your going to have a mostly lps or softy tank. It will be hard to get good par bc of the 30inch length but I would be more worried about the 24" width. I don't like to be limited of what corals I have because of my equipment so I would go with two.

I have alot of sps in my tank now . Im just running the 24" aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 fixture with giessman bulbs. Im getting 1-2 inch growth a month out of my digita, poci,monti, purple acro, and birdsnest. I also have a few others that im not sure about on the names. they are all healthy with really vivid colors. how would the phoenix compare the current fixture i have now?. If it's stronger then I should be able to get by with 1 fixture. If it's weaker(which i doulbt) then I should be looking for a good MH-T5 fixture. Thanks for the advice

Welcome to the Club rrcg50! Pm me a link to a build thread and I will link it to your name! Your in the list of members on the first page! I love cubes they just seem to have a real nice foot print to work with!

Oh man your SPS colony is the sh!t. I'm happy when I get a new tip of sps growth. Lol. I'm nowhere near that kind of colony. I mean, they're growing but they don't look like that. Maybe in a few years......

You didn't, I posted a pic of it, lol. I googled images and found this on there Facebook page. The funny thing is that on there website, they still the pics of the old lighting, but Facebook they have pics of the new AI SOLs. Do you work there Forula462?

Oh yeah I forgot we had a facebook page. I don't have a facebook so I never check it. They need to update the pics for the website. Those are some old school MH fixtures lol. The ballasts were freaking heavy. To work on that tank we have to lay a ladder across the top of it and I have to crawl across the ladder. It's very freaky.

saltwatercoral
I have alot of sps in my tank now . Im just running the 24" aquaticlife 4 bulb t5 fixture with giessman bulbs. Im getting 1-2 inch growth a month out of my digita, poci,monti, purple acro, and birdsnest. I also have a few others that im not sure about on the names. they are all healthy with really vivid colors. how would the phoenix compare the current fixture i have now?. If it's stronger then I should be able to get by with 1 fixture. If it's weaker(which i doulbt) then I should be looking for a good MH-T5 fixture. Thanks for the advice

What is your tank dimensions? If it's widest/longest part is 24" then a Phoenix will work great as long as

You don't have a real deep tank. If you go with the MH/T5 you may need to invest in a chiller which is an added expense. The Phoenix has so many features and is fully customizable. Once you get your settings dialed in your corals are going to grow and look CrAzY! They are wireless ready and simulate cloud cover and thunderstorm mode as well.

Oh yeah I forgot we had a facebook page. I don't have a facebook so I never check it. They need to update the pics for the website. Those are some old school MH fixtures lol. The ballasts were freaking heavy. To work on that tank we have to lay a ladder across the top of it and I have to crawl across the ladder. It's very freaky.

Lol, so I take it you work there! That's very cool! You should have someone take a pic of you on the ladder on top of the tank wearing a white beard!

What is your tank dimensions? If it's widest/longest part is 24" then a Phoenix will work great as long as

You don't have a real deep tank. If you go with the MH/T5 you may need to invest in a chiller which is an added expense. The Phoenix has so many features and is fully customizable. Once you get your settings dialed in your corals are going to grow and look CrAzY! They are wireless ready and simulate cloud cover and thunderstorm mode as well.

Lol, so I take it you work there! That's very cool! You should have someone take a pic of you on the ladder on top of the tank wearing a white beard!

I don't have to "wear" one lol. I have one growing out of my face. :lol:

Awsome! I see you moves the clam lower in the second pic. Was that because of lighing or flow? Very nice setup might I add as well! I also added you to the member list in the begining part of the forum, Welcome!

Thanks. Yeah, I had it on the bottom first, tried to move it to a rock so the clam would have a semi seperate view instead of being so close to the brain. But it liked to sandy bottom.. jumped off, so I put a piece of live rock under the sand and set it on top..

Tank is unsightly now.. in the process of setting up my 40 breeder right now.. can't wait to move everything.

Well you should see better growth once the LEDs get dialed in. Fortunately a lot of those sps you named don't seem to be super light demanding sps compared to some others in order to get the best coloration. IME, I feel like my AI sol does not cover the 17" width of my tank 100 percent since I have it mounted lengthwise. It does create some shadows. I'm not saying it is a bad product at all in fact it is awesome. However, I would like two for my 24x17x12. The depth is never really an issue with these bc of the optics. It's more of a coverage problem. If the light is hitting an area of the tank then it is also penetrating pretty well too.

It is def a stronger light but these units have horrible coverage if you are use to a fixture running the length of your tank. It's not really an issue of which light is stronger but will the LEDs provide the coverage you need. While the light is stronger than say a 250w mh at the same time it does not have the coverage. Especially with the AI units having 40 and 70 degree optics the light is focused directly to one specific area of the tank. That is one main reason why 72w of cree LEDs are stronger than a 250w mh. You can put a piece of paper up to these lights and it will burn a tiny pen sized hole because of of focused the lights are.

I was satisfied with one until I saw a guy with two on a 24x24x12 and it created no shadows, colors were better, and of course coverage. You could probably get away with only one with careful coral placement but if expense is not an issue I would def go with two especially on a 56 gal tank.

Edited by ajgouty
I don't have to "wear" one lol. I have one growing out of my face. :lol:

Chiller? No, I have an SOL. I'll just take a couple of those sea snails. The ones on the bottom. :lol:

I got my ReefAngel Controller working with the Ai Nano. All the same functionality as the Ai Controller. Now I can sell that off.

Interested in your AI Controller. PM sent

saltwatercoral
I was satisfied with one until I saw a guy with two on a 24x24x12 and it created no shadows, colors were better, and of course coverage. You could probably get away with only one with careful coral placement but if expense is not an issue I would def go with two especially on a 56 gal tank.

+1

If you have the $ invest in 2.

I currently have an AI SOL Blue over the center (lengthwise) of my 20 gallon long and replaced the optics to 70 degrees all around, suspended about 6 inches over the tank (so about 16 in from the sandbed). I have it cranked to about 45% at max power and have good growth from a birdnest high in the rocks in the middle and from a duncan in the middle of the tank in the sand... but the rest of my corals aren't showing much growth (towards the edges of the tank)....

Do I just need to crank the juice up and, if so, how many incremental percentage points and over how long? How do I know when I have maxed out (without bleaching preferably)? I know I can't get it to 100% without cooking my corals...

I know a 20L is a bit long for a single AI unit but I am hoping that I can get away with it... what do you all think? Will I end up cooking the center corals in an attempt to get more growth from the corals on the edges? I am starting to think maybe I should stuck with my MH or gone with a 30in fixture :(

saltwatercoral
anyone have an ai sol over an 18" cube?

Hy check out Adam_T and rbaby's tank setup! That will give u a good idea!

Rbaby has pics with the default stand the sol nano came with and the coverage that did, and then he made hiw stand and then showed pics of that coverage. Worlds different. go to the first page and sheck out there build threads (click on there name) and scope it out!

Edited by saltwatercoral
saltwatercoral
I currently have an AI SOL Blue over the center (lengthwise) of my 20 gallon long and replaced the optics to 70 degrees all around, suspended about 6 inches over the tank (so about 16 in from the sandbed). I have it cranked to about 45% at max power and have good growth from a birdnest high in the rocks in the middle and from a duncan in the middle of the tank in the sand... but the rest of my corals aren't showing much growth (towards the edges of the tank)....

Do I just need to crank the juice up and, if so, how many incremental percentage points and over how long? How do I know when I have maxed out (without bleaching preferably)? I know I can't get it to 100% without cooking my corals...

I know a 20L is a bit long for a single AI unit but I am hoping that I can get away with it... what do you all think? Will I end up cooking the center corals in an attempt to get more growth from the corals on the edges? I am starting to think maybe I should stuck with my MH or gone with a 30in fixture :(

Welcome to the Aqua Illumination Club! I just finished adding you to the List with a link to your build as well!

As far as coverage you could make it strech further by lifting the SOL NANO from 6" off of the watter to about 12" off of the water. THis should help alot. Loot at rbaby's build. and see the before and after pictures from when he raised his NANO. It was a totaly different look and better of for the tank!

Dont forget to post some pics here as well!

Edited by saltwatercoral
saltwatercoral

I am getting alot of responses to a 20 long and will a single SOL NANO cover the setup. I have been telling every one to check out rbaby's build for some pics and to see how the custom stand was made!

Looks like you have somthing going on rbaby! Hope you dont mind Im directing people to your build, but you have done such a nice job eith the single Nano covering the entire tank that Im using yours as a "GO TO" for info! :P

If you have any questions anyone, PM me and I will try my best to answer them or point you to the right location for the answer!

Edited by saltwatercoral