Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

WC here we come!

That's what I'll be doing in about an hour.

Bad us B) guess I was naughty.... I don't even know what I did??? :huh:

IDK, I am going to start trying to do a 2x a week change and replace the GFO again.... I think I may be overdue! Ohhh bad me now I know factor #2 because I stir my sand and blast the rocks.....

Yep we must have been really naughty :lol:

2 times a week water change sounds about right. You think blasting the rocks and stirring the sand adds to the cyano problem?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 times a week water change sounds about right. You think blasting the rocks and stirring the sand adds to the cyano problem?

No I think it should help as it is allowing the skimmer to get more of the Crud out of the water. IDK I figure that moving the sand like that should help but I KNOW I overfed and forgot to change the GFO this last weekend with the WC.

IDK I am going to let the sand be and see what happens. I need more snails as well, all the cerths have been harvested for their shells and there are only 3-4 BIG ones left.......

No I think it should help as it is allowing the skimmer to get more of the Crud out of the water. IDK I figure that moving the sand like that should help but I KNOW I overfed and forgot to change the GFO this last weekend with the WC.

IDK I am going to let the sand be and see what happens. I need more snails as well, all the cerths have been harvested for their shells and there are only 3-4 BIG ones left.......

Yeah, I really think stirring the sand should help. I've been doing that in the area the cyano is and it seems to be helping some. I'm thinking I should change my carbon and maybe reactivate my purigen when I do this water change. I also ordered that Red Slime Remover Joel used.

I think I have WAY too many snails. I'm waiting for my hermits to eat some more of them :lol:

I just watched two hermits run to the edge of the rock and jump off..... Then they ran to the other side of the tank. Those little buggers are fast!

I need them to eat less snails and more algae! I do love their goofy selves though! And when they kick each other out of the shell during a fight it's hilarious! :lol: You see their funny looking butt! So silly!

Let me know how the red slime remover works. I may have to go that route.

I love hermit crab antics, and yeah they are surprisingly fast little critters! They do have such funny butts when they pop out of their shells :lol:

Joel said the red slimer remover works really well and talked me into buying some. I'll let you know how it goes.

RSR is awesome. It's a great product! I actually posted about it in the Product Reviews.

Fwiw, skimmers work through a process called foam fractionation which is a type of adsorption. Adsorption is also what chemical media uses to trap bad stuff. You don't necessarily need to use chemical media with a skimmer. Obviously you aren't hurting anything by running both but I don't think it's that necessary.

That is something I have never observed. I feel so deprived now :lol:

Just watch closely the next time one of them is inspecting a shell to potentially switch into. If it switches you'll briefly get to see what it looks like out of its shell.

Just watch closely the next time one of them is inspecting a shell to potentially switch into. If it switches you'll briefly get to see what it looks like out of its shell.

I think I remember reading about someone that used a glass see-through shell????? You could see the whole body of the hermit that way, all day, everyday :lol:

I want one now! The only issue would be convincing one of the hermit crabs to switch into that shell. I've got so many empty shells laying around in my tank they'd probably never pick the glass one knowing my luck.

The cyano is looking better as of yesterday, so I promise tank pictures this evening. I'm going to take a ton since its been a while, so expect a huge photo dump later tonight :D

omgomgomgPhoto Time!!! omgomgomg

I still can't quite master taking pictures with the LEDs, so everything turns out way more blue/purple than how it looks in real life. Eventually I'll get the hang of taking photos with the new lights and my new camera.

First off, I finally took the standard corner FTS.

IMG_0421.jpg

Shrimp cleaning Andy the starry blenny.

IMG_0425.jpg

Clowns!

IMG_0380.jpg

Johnny

IMG_0376.jpg

June (you can see the black spots all over her from investigating the frogspawn)

IMG_0378.jpg

YWG (his face is completely healed now :happydance:)

IMG_0332.jpg

Andy being BA as usual.

IMG_0277.jpg

The decorator crab hanging out on one of the powerheads.

IMG_0319.jpg

The zoa section is really filling in.

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

Colorful :)

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

My mini ricordia garden.

IMG_0222.jpg

Newest monti.

IMG_0257.jpg

Lavender Lace Duncan

IMG_0251.jpg

Alien eye chalice which is growing like crazy lately. Its added 2-3 new eyes since I moved it into the new tank.

IMG_0250.jpg

The scoly :wub:

IMG_0290.jpg

Look who had cyno.

IMG_20110906_125817.jpg

And a chia pet turf algae problem at the same time

IMG_20110906_125936.jpg

In other news, I could quite possibly have spent 3-4 weeks with palytoxin poisoning and not known it. Three fingers in my right hand have been swollen, painful, numb all at the same time since I set up the RSM. The doctor started suspecting auto-immune such as lupus or RA. Blood came back negative for Lupus but he is still working through other stuff. In the meantime my fingers are back to normal. :o

WOW!!!! Great pichurs!!!! I love all the diversity you have in there especially in sucha short time.

Thanks Mark! I didn't really have a plan when I started buying coral, I just went and bought things that stood out to me, so that's how I ended up with such a mix.

Looks amazing, Felicia!!!!! I'm so happy your YWG healed too. You have a magic touch :)

BTW...I didn't see any cyano in those photos :happy:

Yeah, I'm so relieved the YWG is all healed up now. I was really worried about him for a bit because after he got stuck in the overflow box he was so stressed and it got way worse. Once he got settled again and started eating, it slowly healed.

Oh, and you don't see any cyano because I spent 20 minutes picking all of it out by hand before I took photos. Its already back in force this morning -_- My red slime remover is on its way though.

Kat, how did you get rid of your cyano? And I'm sorry to hear about your fingers. Hopefully they can get that sorted out and its nothing major. Keep us posted!

In not so good news, I'm 90% sure the unhappy brain coral is actually dying now. Its just slowly wasting away and I can't figure out what to do with it. I've been feeding, dosing amino acids, my water is perfect...oh well I give up. To make myself feel better and to not have a big empty spot when it completely dies...I'm getting some more coral from a local guy I've purchased from before. For $50 he's giving me a frag of rainbow monti, a bulb of purple stylophora, a multibranched frag of purple polyp birdsnest, and 1 polyp of red hornet zoa :D Oh, and he's throwing in 2 blue speckled purple mushrooms for free.

Thanks! I ordered a CUC package from reef cleaners. That about fixed the cyno in a week/10 days. I was out of town and no WC were being done and even then the cyno was taken care of. And I added a koralia nano whereas before I had a weaker powerhead. The turf algae was enormous and had to be manually removed. Even that did not completely fix it so a dip of peroxide was the answer.

Thanks! I ordered a CUC package from reef cleaners. That about fixed the cyno in a week/10 days. I was out of town and no WC were being done and even then the cyno was taken care of. And I added a koralia nano whereas before I had a weaker powerhead. The turf algae was enormous and had to be manually removed. Even that did not completely fix it so a dip of peroxide was the answer.

My CUC from reef cleaners takes care of all the other algae I've had, but they don't seem to touch the cyano. I've been doing tons of water changes and manually removing it daily, and it seems to be slowly receding but its taking forever. I'm just hoping the red slime remover I ordered speeds up the process because I'm sick of dealing with it.

I consulted with John prior to ordering, shared that picture and he suggested a custom assortment of critters. Do you have macro in the tank anywhere? One of the things that also helped me was adding a big ball of chaeto to absorb the phos that the cyno was thriving on.

Oh and I also blocked out light.

I consulted with John prior to ordering, shared that picture and he suggested a custom assortment of critters. Do you have macro in the tank anywhere? One of the things that also helped me was adding a big ball of chaeto to absorb the phos that the cyno was thriving on.

Oh and I also blocked out light.

I've got chaeto in my AC70 and my phosphates are reading between 0 and 0.25 when I test, so they're not particularly high. I should probably try reducing my photoperiod since its currently 11 hours total. Theres an hour at the beginning and end of just the blue LEDs and then 9 hours in the middle with both blues and whites. That's probably too much.

Archived