Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

Yes that is full power, I still have to take pics with the dimmer. The light is exactly where the stock PC bulbs used to be. I would say that is about 15" up.

Got it, thanks again...looks great!

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I narrowly escaped the Petco on Union Square tonight, with only one purchase. A cute snail for my betta tank. But I stared at their tanks for the longest time, even went so far as to inquire prices. They had a brown hollywood stunner chalice for 40, pom pom crabs, tiger pistold RANDALLI PISTOL (chiiled_fire are you listening?), and a red banded goby that I almost bought! Eeeeks. Everything looked like crap, fiddler crabs without a perch, algae, dead snail, fish and horse shoe crabs. Oh my word. I didn't think I could get out of there without saving the goby, a pom pom crab, and some SPS and Xenia. But looks like divine intervention came about and I've managed to exit with just my $2.99 snail.

Whew. Close call.

I do nothing of the sort, my wall has decided to keep itself clean :lol:

One of the cutest comments i heard was "oh wow look how pretty that is, so feminine"

And I think that is true! :wub:

My tank makes me very happy

Glad you made it out of there without rescuing anything!

How does you back panel keep itself clean???

I want my tank to look manley so I like the purples and blues, but I'm gonna have to get some pink stuff eventually!

I was in that Petco a week or two ago and was impressed by how much BETTER it looked from the last time I was in there. I've been tempted to start rescuing stuff too, but the massive amount of bubble algae dissuaded me.

The single most horrifying thing I've seen there was an unattended plastic box in the floor where they were acclimating lionfish (two of which looked fairly dead) and which a very inquisitive dog decided to stick his face in. Little guy was very lucky his owner noticed and yanked him away before he got stung!

So I've been staring and staring at all the SPS frags I have and cannot for once figure out where to glue what. For the first time I am wondering if having a "wall" or "rock pile" or some such unstructured aquascape would have been useful.

IMG_3515.jpg

Thoughts?

Homeless SPS (I know about light and flow requirements, this question is more from the perspective, which corals will grow widthwise (like a birdsnest) needing more space this <---> way. Which will grow tall needing more space ^ way, and which will encrust onto itself and the rock below needing space V way.

Red Monti Cap ledge 4

Hot Pink Stylophora

Neon Green Vermiculata

Bali Green Slimer

Hot Pink Birdsnest thick branch

Yellow Porites

Bird Of Paradise

Pale green Milli

Rainbow Monti

Orange Eye Lepto (requires medium light and flow) ledge 2

Evil Eye Acan Echinata

Poker Star Monti

ORA Spongodes

ORA Green Birdsnest

I was in that Petco a week or two ago and was impressed by how much BETTER it looked from the last time I was in there. I've been tempted to start rescuing stuff too, but the massive amount of bubble algae dissuaded me.

The single most horrifying thing I've seen there was an unattended plastic box in the floor where they were acclimating lionfish (two of which looked fairly dead) and which a very inquisitive dog decided to stick his face in. Little guy was very lucky his owner noticed and yanked him away before he got stung!

They had macros in bags "acclimating". Looks like for days. They were soop.

I was hoping some of the sale prices would apply, the kid would not know a chalice from a zoanthid or a moon eye or a brain coral (they had $60+ corals too) but he did. meh. I tried.

That Randalli Pistol would have been awesome though......

I have one! FRom Live Aquaria, only I could not leave it alone because it made a home away from the Yasha so I tried to steer it to the Yasha and now it is lost in the caverns. I also have the rogue black shrimp in the rock work, but at least I know which rock it is in.

How does you back panel keep itself clean???

I want my tank to look manley so I like the purples and blues, but I'm gonna have to get some pink stuff eventually!

I see dark green algae spots on the back wall, I am not sure but those could be the start of coralline so the wall will be spotty before long if that is the case. Right now you don't see that because the colors in my tank pop so much, the back ground, is well, in the back ground. If the wall ever becomes nasty and cruddy I hope I can grow GSP to cover it.

A manly tank eh? Greens, purples, blues are good, off set it with reds and oranges, even yellows (hard to come by).

..you seem to have collector-itis.

I think it's time for a new tank.

Bite your tongue Maeda! I'm having a very difficult time resisting the RSM....

Everything looks really nice. What are you going to do when all those frags start growing out? Your definately going to need another tank like Maeda said. :D

EVERYBODY IS DRINKING THE KOOL AID! Stop it stop it all of you. Does NOT help when my dad sees my obsession (on his recent 3 week visit) and says "Baby, I think you should get a bigger tank" and opens his arms wide, like 4 feet wide and points to the wall outside the kitchen with "put it there".

:bling:

Hi MetroKat

I've been reading your thread and you have a beautiful tank. Your rock scape is awesome and your variety of corals are GREAT. I'm glad to know that I am not the only female in this hobby in the NYC area. I soon will be starting a thread and hope that I can get some advise from you and the other reefers on the forum. Keep pushing on!!!

EVERYBODY IS DRINKING THE KOOL AID! Stop it stop it all of you. Does NOT help when my dad sees my obsession (on his recent 3 week visit) and says "Baby, I think you should get a bigger tank" and opens his arms wide, like 4 feet wide and points to the wall outside the kitchen with "put it there".

:bling:

HAHA well he is right! You are running out of room in there! ;)

So what size is the new tank going to be? :P

Hi MetroKat

I've been reading your thread and you have a beautiful tank. Your rock scape is awesome and your variety of corals are GREAT. I'm glad to know that I am not the only female in this hobby in the NYC area. I soon will be starting a thread and hope that I can get some advise from you and the other reefers on the forum. Keep pushing on!!!

Hi Yonee! welcome to my thread and be sure to join me for the next NYC lady reefers club brunch (tentatively scheduled for January, will confirm). You've been on this forum a long time!

Don't buy a RSM. :/

That's for chumps.

I can be a chump, I'd be a bad ass chump fo sho.

Visio 4'x2'x2' 120G rimless LED badass FTW!

You don't understand. I need my tank to have a lid. That is just my thing. I saw a 75 rimless RR today for $899 (yeah you heard me) and it didn't do it for me. I sit in front of my tank sipping tea, coffee, wine. I would hate that light in my eyes.

HAHA well he is right! You are running out of room in there! ;)

So what size is the new tank going to be? :P

I don't have many options except the RSM. My LFS has one (130D), tank and stand for $749. That is lower than the internet. It is 34 gallons. much bigger than my 14 obviously. And I need a step stool to get to the skimmer. :) Yeah I went to see it today.....

I don't have many options except the RSM. My LFS has one (130D), tank and stand for $749. That is lower than the internet. It is 34 gallons. much bigger than my 14 obviously. And I need a step stool to get to the skimmer. :) Yeah I went to see it today.....

Thats a big upgrade, 20 gallon difference! I would really consider it!

I truly love my RSM, but you need to figure out how you are going to put an LED fixture on it before you invest. You already have LEDs, you can't go back.

I already am trying to decide on how to upgrade. Maybe with the stunners, but really the Radion is the only way to go. I don't think you'll be happy otherwise. Check out Stevie's tank and ask him. He's the RSM guru and the sole reason I have one.

Yes.... but car first. I think.....

I've got 6 weeks on the ground before I'm off travelling the solar system again. If i don't do it now, my next opportunity is in March so just weighing the pros and cons.

:blink: OKAY I'LL COME CLEAN. I'm GOING BIGGER! (KG this is all your fault!)

the only question is when.

They had macros in bags "acclimating". Looks like for days. They were soop.

I was hoping some of the sale prices would apply, the kid would not know a chalice from a zoanthid or a moon eye or a brain coral (they had $60+ corals too) but he did. meh. I tried.

LOL i was in there a few months ago and they had a huge, beautiful piece of bird of paradise on an ora frag plug. so i tried to play dumb with this sales girl. "my boyfriend has a tank and i think that 'plant' is pretty. how much for it?" the girl was like, "oh i don't know what anything is called so i cant tell you the price and no one else is around so i might just have to guess..." I knew the sticker for it was mixed with 30 other stickers and it said 80, so i played the guessing game with her. she pulled out her phone and googled the different coral names until she eventually said, "maybe it's bird of paradise" and i was like nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. hahaha almost got away with it! so when she said yeah, that's it- it's 80. i said to her "who would pay 80 for a stick!?" I would have but i had already spent too much on coral that month. :(

Everyone needs to help me break Kat on the AIO thing. The goal is 75RR with 40B sump. All she needs is a canopy, and "lights in the eyes" problem is solved. DSB will allow her to reach the sandbed. And if she starts now, she can cycle til March, so she won't be tempted to start stocking before the tank is ready.

Good point Spiro. I did post on the RSM thread forum and got the response that yes, lighting upgrade is possible.

Edit, Spiro, (mark) get your build on Stevie T's RSM index thread.

Thanks! I was gonna do that but but my tanks not worthy yet! Besides, he's such a busy guy right now. I think he spends most of his time counting his money, hehe.

Before I got my RSM I read every thread on there and on other sites as well.

Archived