inTank Media Baskets

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

Holy Cr@p! omgomgomg

You have a frag tank now? You go girl!

I'm psyched that you and kgoldy both picked up some of that black sun coral - I was staring at it for the longest time.

Where are you going to fit all of this? Do I smell tank expansion in the near future?

I'm not sure where it is going to fit, and yes a bigger tank is in the future (I think) but not for a while.

Sweet, I hope it survives all the commute :) For the first time i have got corals in Office :) Its in a transparent box , wondering should i keep it open on my desk :)

it is warm?

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am having a serious case of the "I want coral" pouts right now. I'm getting my new lights in two weeks and I can't wait.

I'm so envious Kat...

it is warm?

Yes, it is nice and warm in office :)

I have kept the container slightly open.

my friends who are not aware of reef hobby are going crazy watching the xenia pulsate , though not much as there is no water movement but some do :)

your frag tank is almost full with all those awesome corals u sure you need Xenia ?

PS : if you have some extra GSP laying around ur tanks some where, let me know I could buy a small frag :D

Holy crap. I finally caught up on this thread after reading it in it's entirety from my iPhone here at work. Your tank is amazing, Kat. Love the progression. Just a bit jealous too. Haha :P

Kat they really look happy! Wow talk about settling in, how long are you going to keep them in the frag tank before you place them in your DT?

hey, Thanks again for the shrimp.

But after all this trouble , shrimp is dead, the cleaner shrimp made a dinner out of it.

Since it was really small i introduced it in the tank , near the cave where my YWG usually sits. but sadly during that time the goby was not there. within a few mins the cleaner shrimp was running with the pistol in its hands. i tried to scare him away , but it was too late. :(

I am so fcuking annoyed by my cleaner shrimp its becoming more of a nuisance. :angry:

Wow, i don't think i've said anything on this thread but i love your tank. I'm more than a little envious of that rainbow montipora. If my BC14 looks half as good as yours does i'll be happy.

phi delt reefer

looks like you got bit by the bug... keep up the water parameter with all that new sps - dont be pissed if it all colors down. it will come back, might take a couple months but well worth the wait.

may want to look into dosing two part if you havent started.

awesome selection though!

I am having a serious case of the "I want coral" pouts right now. I'm getting my new lights in two weeks and I can't wait.

I'm so envious Kat...

I got tired of looking at other peoples gorgeous corals. I needed to get my own! Ha.

PS : if you have some extra GSP laying around ur tanks some where, let me know I could buy a small frag :D

Will work on that for you

Holy crap. I finally caught up on this thread after reading it in it's entirety from my iPhone here at work. Your tank is amazing, Kat. Love the progression. Just a bit jealous too. Haha :P

Thank you!! :)

Kat they really look happy! Wow talk about settling in, how long are you going to keep them in the frag tank before you place them in your DT?

I've been seriously re-thinking the pico competition. I think I'm about to gracefully bow out and concentrate on setting up a better frag tank. I've been meaning to grow artistic coral sculptures for a while. I've moved all the SPS into my DT already. I'll be moving LPS soon too, and then just keep softies and polyps in the frag tank as the light on it is PC.

hey, Thanks again for the shrimp.

But after all this trouble , shrimp is dead, the cleaner shrimp made a dinner out of it.

Since it was really small i introduced it in the tank , near the cave where my YWG usually sits. but sadly during that time the goby was not there. within a few mins the cleaner shrimp was running with the pistol in its hands. i tried to scare him away , but it was too late. :(

I am so fcuking annoyed by my cleaner shrimp its becoming more of a nuisance. :angry:

I'm so sorry. Well, you might be able to trade the cleaner for a pistol, they are both about the same price.

Wow, i don't think i've said anything on this thread but i love your tank. I'm more than a little envious of that rainbow montipora. If my BC14 looks half as good as yours does i'll be happy.

Thank you so much, the montis are absolutely beautiful and can take a lot of variety in light and flow although they do better with strong light.

looks like you got bit by the bug... keep up the water parameter with all that new sps - dont be pissed if it all colors down. it will come back, might take a couple months but well worth the wait.

may want to look into dosing two part if you havent started.

awesome selection though!

Thanks a lot. I finally bought C-balance and AM COMPLETELY SCARED of using it after reading the instructions.

How do I figure out how much I need to put in?

Bow out?

IDK dosing is kind of intimidating, haven't had to broach that subject yet, only adding the vitamins once a week and feeding every 2 days seems to keep everyone happy for now.....

Although I am not nearly as stocked as you....

Is that a blueberry gorg? You actually able to meet its needs?

I won't know till I try. Planning to have a near constant stream of food like pj86. So far the frag tank it is in has a stupid filter so I know the soup I fed it this morning is still in the water. The polyps have been out since the feeding.

Wow, you added a lot to this thing since the last time I read. What is in the box?

Just a media basket for the BC 14

Glad it FINALLY made it, ps: your counter is the same as mine

Thanks for the surprise, lol.

@KG did you notice Jason Fox had only a carbon reactor on his frag tank?

phi delt reefer

two part dosing is quite easy though you need to stay dedicated to the dosing/testing regime or its not going to work.

first you need a calcium and alkalinity test kit. Salifert is highly recommended for both but if you have some extra cash buy the hanna alk checker - the hanna calcium checker is very finicky so i would stay away from that specific checker.

start by measuring the current the alk and calcium levels. Ideally alk should be about 8-9dkh and calcium 400-420ppm. After you do your first test log the results and the date. Keep testing everyday for a week and keep up with your water changes - make a special note of when you do a water change for you will notice your Alk and Calcium go up slightly (or alot if you do a big water change) on those days. This will tell you how much of both components your system uses on day to day basis and what a water change restores when you do one.

so lets for example you notice calcium goes down 10ppm a day regularly and goes up 25ppm after a water change. you now need to figure out how much of c-balance calcium component will need for those two scenarios. there is a dosing calculator online that you plug your water volume, current calcium/alk levels and desired calc/alk levels and tell it what product you are using and it will tell you how much to dose.

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

same goes for alk.

its pretty easy but if you need some additional help pm me and i will walk you through it. Its cheaper to dose using BRS's diy two part additives so once you run out of cbalance just buy the brs stuff.

two part dosing is quite easy though you need to stay dedicated to the dosing/testing regime or its not going to work.

first you need a calcium and alkalinity test kit. Salifert is highly recommended for both but if you have some extra cash buy the hanna alk checker - the hanna calcium checker is very finicky so i would stay away from that specific checker.

start by measuring the current the alk and calcium levels. Ideally alk should be about 8-9dkh and calcium 400-420ppm. After you do your first test log the results and the date. Keep testing everyday for a week and keep up with your water changes - make a special note of when you do a water change for you will notice your Alk and Calcium go up slightly (or alot if you do a big water change) on those days. This will tell you how much of both components your system uses on day to day basis and what a water change restores when you do one.

so lets for example you notice calcium goes down 10ppm a day regularly and goes up 25ppm after a water change. you now need to figure out how much of c-balance calcium component will need for those two scenarios. there is a dosing calculator online that you plug your water volume, current calcium/alk levels and desired calc/alk levels and tell it what product you are using and it will tell you how much to dose.

same goes for alk.

its pretty easy but if you need some additional help pm me and i will walk you through it. Its cheaper to dose using BRS's diy two part additives so once you run out of cbalance just buy the brs stuff.

So True!!! So True!!

Great Advice!!!

Kat....... You have the addiction!!! :wacko:

S-T-E-P A-W-A-Y F-R-O-M T-H-E T-A-N-K!!!!

same goes for alk.

Super informative!

Kat good luck with the gorg!

Kat good luck with the gorg!

fingerscrossed

Yes I did. What's got you thinking about it?

how happy his corals looked.

Tested params just now:

Calcium 420

dKH 7

Kat....... You have the addiction!!! :wacko:

S-T-E-P A-W-A-Y F-R-O-M T-H-E T-A-N-K!!!!

no kidding, I've been saying that to myself for a while now

Archived