Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

nice call on the range. test calc and alk just after a water change and right before one, at whatever water change interval you use to gauge consumption/binding of the ions. two test readings some days apart will tell you to either change water more often or dose the interim

I also prefer to test alk in the morning before lights on to catch the system at its lowest pH time of day on each of these tests.

420 - 440 calcium even if thats your range is fine for not dosing at all, tank looks great.

8-10 dkh is fine, mine is about 9-11 not a big deal. if you keep coralline and corals happy with this setup no need to change. the c balance is very helpful as the tank ages, and consumes alkalinity from other things such as waste breakdown (whereas bioacids in solution are bound by the alkalinity component)

extra water changes will also work for age, this tank is in really good condition no need to chg anything I can see.

I believe strongly in dosing pico reefs moreso than nano reefs, for this size tank dosing isn't as required just watch it as the months go by and look for that increasing consumption range

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice call on the range. test calc and alk just after a water change and right before one, at whatever water change interval you use to gauge consumption/binding of the ions. two test readings some days apart will tell you to either change water more often or dose the interim

I also prefer to test alk in the morning before lights on to catch the system at its lowest pH time of day on each of these tests.

420 - 440 calcium even if thats your range is fine for not dosing at all, tank looks great.

8-10 dkh is fine, mine is about 9-11 not a big deal. if you keep coralline and corals happy with this setup no need to change. the c balance is very helpful as the tank ages, and consumes alkalinity from other things such as waste breakdown (whereas bioacids in solution are bound by the alkalinity component)

extra water changes will also work for age, this tank is in really good condition no need to chg anything I can see.

I believe strongly in dosing pico reefs moreso than nano reefs, for this size tank dosing isn't as required just watch it as the months go by and look for that increasing consumption range

Damn your always so helpful! :flower:

Oh no! D patrol is here!!! :scarry:

The soap basket went back to house display macros while I was observing them. Good thing too because most of the yellow macros disintegrated on day 2 or 3, except the eucheuma (which has also been traded at the frag swap already!).

The red macros are doing good and are making merry in the pico. The soap dish (today) has a very delicate red (actually it is pink) macro that I am trying to ID and has my chaeto which was to go in the back chamber with Stevie T's media basket but is homeless as the basket did not work out.

Have my adopted mother (i adopted her) coming tomorrow with what she thinks is a macro lens. fingerscrossed

And hopefully in about a week I will be adding on to hardware. And that is my update for the D patrol.

Like in school, oh the teacher is walking by!

LOL I was actually thinking about getting a soap dish and doing the same for now, but as we are building the stand and I will be doing my SUMP once the stand is done IDK if I want to bother for now as I have all this other crap HOB right now.

Jacob, here.

I know the basics, SPS high, LPS lower, etc. I was looking at your retiring TOTM and the Elos. Of all the SPS I have, I don't know which one will grow out, vs which will grow up, vs which will grown down onto itself. So that is where my placement question comes from. Every SPS I have seen is a frag, I have never seen things grown out except in FTS like yours. There are no detailed shots of what these corals look like when they are no longer small frags.

When I google the species I have, I see images of them as a stand alone colony, or a frag. So I'm stumped.

I didn't write about it. Basically it jammed the flow of my water severely. It could be because the chemi pure bag I have is huge or because I have a skimmer in chamber 1. It was also a loose fit and the area for the filter floss too small. I wanted it primarily for the chaeto, so now I'm building my own.

GET THAT FFH LEPTASTREA AWAY FROM THOSE GSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_3544.JPG

The GSP will release a chemical, that will cause the FFH to shrivel and die.

You might get lucky, but I'd move it. :o

I have TONS of experience w/ Cyphastrea's, and Leptastrea's.

I've seen it happen, on a few occasion's.

They're a very timid coral species.

You may also wanna try lower light, and a moderate amount of flow.

Like, a gust of flow every few seconds... They love that. :happy:

I wanted it primarily for the chaeto, so now I'm building my own.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I bogarted the fuge light for my pico, so my chaeto is in my DT now. It's always something...

GET THAT FFH LEPTASTREA AWAY FROM THOSE GSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The GSP will release a chemical, that will cause the FFH to shrivel and die.

You might get lucky, but I'd move it. :o

I have TONS of experience w/ Cyphastrea's, and Leptastrea's.

I've seen it happen, on a few occasion's.

They're a very timid coral species.

You may also wanna try lower light, and a moderate amount of flow.

Like, a gust of flow every few seconds... They love that. :happy:

Pismo, thank you, moved. It is not doing the best in high light, will move it elsewhere as you suggest.

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I bogarted the fuge light for my pico, so my chaeto is in my DT now. It's always something...

I had my chaeto against the glass and rock on the back left of the tank, undetectable and didn't die.

I really like those zoas (I have a thing for zoas) ;)

Me too. And zoas have a thing for melting without reason too.

surgicalsense
Me too. And zoas have a thing for melting without reason too.

Oh my, I will have to keep an eye for that. I am sure I will notice it :D if and when it happens. So far I just 2 more frags of zoa for my layout idea.

Looking good :)

I followed the link. What kind (species) of coral frags do you have exactly?

Red Monti Cap

Hot Pink Stylophora

Neon Green Vermiculata

Bali Green Slimer

Hot Pink Birdsnest thick branch

Yellow Porites

Bird Of Paradise

Pale green Milli

Rainbow Monti

Orange Eye Lepto (requires medium light and flow)

Evil Eye Acan Echinata

Poker Star Monti

ORA Spongodes

ORA Green Birdsnest

Archived