Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's badass BC14, retired

metrokat

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The issue has never been providing them with enough food. It's easy to have a constant supply of food particles in the tank. The issue is nutrient buildup. Unless you have a solid, well thought through plan for that, you're flirting with a tank crash.

Uhuru's tank is a great example to emulate for NPS corals: http://www.nano-reef.com/featured/?tank=36

That tank is awesome ! is it still running ?

Hangin'

IMG_3498.JPG

Sweet, the "couple" are now together :)

So I've been staring and staring at all the SPS frags I have and cannot for once figure out where to glue what. For the first time I am wondering if having a "wall" or "rock pile" or some such unstructured aquascape would have been useful.

New FTS (taken at feeding time, no pumps)

IMG_3515.JPG

Notice the added ledge on the top left (#1) which has the eggcrate holding my precious SPS (and one Favia).

I moved the brain coral to the right and it still has space for a frag (#2).

Ledge #3 can be completely re organized and is spacious

Ledge #4 has GSP on the edges and 3 mushrooms, also has Humpty the bi-valve (#5) who can be moved anywhere. This ledge also has a lot of space. Might be a good spot for the frogspawn (towards the mushroom side)

IMG_3515.jpg

It is really ledge #1 that needs some help, maybe a rock.

I was thinking of a few ideas

-SPS ledge (#1 and #2) ??

-Mushie/softie ledge (#4??)

-Zoa ledge (#3??)

Thoughts?

Your tank is looking great!

I have no idea where to put any of my corals, much less give advice on where to put yours, but I like the idea of sps on the top shelves with the softies below. Maybe leave the froggie in the sand? Can you test drive for happiness before permanently attaching them?

I could I suppose. I don't like the stems on the frags, would be so much better if they came just on a flat disc.

I picked up one of those beef cake nail clippers at Walgreen's and it cuts the bottom of frag plugs off with ease... except black ora plugs... those things are made out of titanium rubber or something

eeks I think I have one of those!

The other help I need is what happens to SPS and LPS when they encrust the frag plugs they are on, do they "flow" down and start encrusting the rock or they grow upwards?

Frag plugs have no place in a DT! The plugs should easily detach from your SPS frags. Then just glue the frag directly to the rock with the glue-epoxy-glue method.

You might be surprised at what will come off. I've popped a rectangular plug from an acro that had totally covered it by prying it off with a flathead screw driver. You can also saw the coral off at the plug by making a nice straight cut. I've had my lfs cut plugs off for me with their bandsaw when I bought them...

i understand your concern... i messed up a sps pretty bad when i tried to glue it to the rock. Since then i haven't taken them off, i just cut the bottom off and glue that. and yes some sps will continue to creep down the plug, it just takes a while

i would love to have 0 plugs in my tank... with more practice i hope to get it right

I have my plugs in the DT as I was not confident they would be happy where they were. IDK if I am going to cut it off the plug (my Birdsnest) I may just cut the plug back until it is nearly nothing then glue it down.

Left the plugs on the Zoas as well just made handling them easier IMO.

So I've been staring and staring at all the SPS frags I have and cannot for once figure out where to glue what. For the first time I am wondering if having a "wall" or "rock pile" or some such unstructured aquascape would have been useful.

New FTS (taken at feeding time, no pumps)

IMG_3515.JPG

Notice the added ledge on the top left (#1) which has the eggcrate holding my precious SPS (and one Favia).

I moved the brain coral to the right and it still has space for a frag (#2).

Ledge #3 can be completely re organized and is spacious

Ledge #4 has GSP on the edges and 3 mushrooms, also has Humpty the bi-valve (#5) who can be moved anywhere. This ledge also has a lot of space. Might be a good spot for the frogspawn (towards the mushroom side)

IMG_3515.jpg

It is really ledge #1 that needs some help, maybe a rock.

I was thinking of a few ideas

-SPS ledge (#1 and #2) ??

-Mushie/softie ledge (#4??)

-Zoa ledge (#3??)

Thoughts?

SPS #1 and #2 - yes

I would actually go mushie/softie ledge #3, zoas ledge #4. Looks like 3 is more shaded from the light because of 1.

The frog is the trickiest placement I would say, looks pretty big and obviously won't play nicely with others. Maybe just place it on the bottom centre, where the rics are?

I like your ledge ideas, kind of how I am organizing my tank. Going to take a lot longer filling my 46 then your tank.

I do agree with castiel though with the ledge choice change.

(Add a rock for Ledge #1) ;)

SPS #1 and #2 - yes

I would actually go mushie/softie ledge #3, zoas ledge #4. Looks like 3 is more shaded from the light because of 1.

The frog is the trickiest placement I would say, looks pretty big and obviously won't play nicely with others. Maybe just place it on the bottom centre, where the rics are?

Frog is one head, it is just happy in the picture as it was feeding time.

Ledge #4 is actually more shaded, Humpty is hogging all the shade so you can't see it.

Obviously I can't offer any advice, but I love the pic with all the arrows!

Thx!

Test results

Date Calcium dKH English Degree mg/l (ppm) CaCO3

9/24/2011 440 7 8.75 124.95

12/5/2011 420 7 8.75 124.95

12/6/2011 420 7 8.75 124.95

12/9/2011 400 7 8.75 124.95

Damn you stay pretty constant, that's without you dosing right?

Yeah, looks like in 4 days you've only gone down what 20ppm. Get a full week of tests done and one right after the WC to see where that gets it back to.

IDK I still don't have to dose as I have barely anything in there, but I bet it has the same principal as the stuff I do at work. :huh:

Archived