inTank Media Baskets

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you saying that's a good thing or bad thing? But yea, I go by the same name on Dendroboard.

Neutral thing. Not bad at all. Just recognizing you. :P

Small internet! :o

Snapped a couple pictures today, check them out...

dsc05362y.jpg

dsc05365a.jpg

dsc05376y.jpg

dsc05409s.jpg

Growing like champs!

dsc05405x.jpg

Also growing like a champ - the Gorgonian. That little stem is new growth. :) Sorry for the crappy quality on this one.

Enjoy!

I've been following this tank for a while now and I am floored by how well everything looks! So, props :D! I'm just curious though if I could get you to post a picture of how you have your canister hooked up. I am considering adding one as well but I just don't know what to do about the half inch hose.

I've been following this tank for a while now and I am floored by how well everything looks! So, props :D! I'm just curious though if I could get you to post a picture of how you have your canister hooked up. I am considering adding one as well but I just don't know what to do about the half inch hose.

Thanks. Next time I take photos I'll try and get some of the canister set up. It's nothing different from any other canister set up with an in-line heater, though.

For now I'm prepping the tank for the vacation. I'll feed heavily tomorrow and do some maintenance but other than that the tank will be flying solo. I'll be leaving saturday and coming back on friday. Wish me luck! :happy:

Well, I arrived home tonight to my tank to find the canister running dry and the temperature at 68ºF. All the fish are alive, albeit stressed, but still alive. All of the corals are receded and do not look happy at all. The damn canister managed to crap out while I was away. I should realized that if the canister craps out then the inline heater won't work too - to combat this I should have put a heater in the tank just to be safe. Next vacation I'll have to do that.

The fish are very resilient to be surviving in these conditions. I consider myself very lucky that they survived. Hopefully the corals will recover quickly. It's time to give everyone some major TLC!

Ouch, do you know how long the canister was running dry? I've had similar things happen over night on a couple of occasions over the summer (planned outage that we weren't told about and an outlet dying for unknown reasons). It's not a fun thing to come home to.

Ouch, do you know how long the canister was running dry? I've had similar things happen over night on a couple of occasions over the summer (planned outage that we weren't told about and an outlet dying for unknown reasons). It's not a fun thing to come home to.

I have no clue how long it was out for, and I have no way of knowing.

:(

how did it crap out? pump bust?

I have no clue. There was air in the canister, which is why it wasn't pumping water. I primed it again and now it's working fine, so it didn't break. It must have been running dry for a while, though.

Good luck w the tank Mitch. I get real nervouse anytime I'm away from home for more than a day too. It's the only time I use an ato. And if it fails my tanks doomed.

Good luck w the tank Mitch. I get real nervouse anytime I'm away from home for more than a day too. It's the only time I use an ato. And if it fails my tanks doomed.

Thanks. I did a nice, big water change and the corals really seemed to appreciate it. They are actually pretty much perfectly normal right now. I'm glad the temperature swing didn't have much of an effect on them.

The fish were certainly glad to have a meal after 7 days of no feeding. Oddly enough, when I got home yesterday they weren't skinny. I guess they were sustaining themselves off pods and such while I was away.

Happy New Year Mitch, hope one of my fav tanks makes it alright through the canister problem.

Thanks! I'm confident it will be fine. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I sold off the RBTA and Duncans, along with a nice sized Xenia frag I grew. I decided to sell the RBTA after not being able to figure out the cause of stress for too long; I did it for it's own sake. I'm hoping it will do better in it's new home... Farewell, Anemone.

Other than that everything has been going will with the tank. I'll have to post some pictures and maybe a new video soon.

I was just looking at my tank with a flashlight, and I discovered a little brittle star "slithering" across the sand bed. It was pretty cool looking!

It's awesome that even after half a year, I'm still discovering new inhabitants of my tank. Ah, the joys of reefing. :happy:

It's awesome that even after half a year, I'm still discovering new inhabitants of my tank. Ah, the joys of reefing. :happy:

Yes, this.

You should see how they eat too. Pretty incredible. I have a serpent star whos body is about the size of a nickel with arms spanning about 4 inches and I got to see him eat for the first time yesterday. They wrap their tentacles around the food just like a snake would around its prey, they drag it close to their mouth and then their body just like expands and sucks in the food. It's something else to watch though.

Archived