ReefCleaners.org

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

Just want to let you know that your tank was one of the few inspirations for mine. Love it! :)

I love hearing things like this. Thanks! :happy:

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a cool video I saw on Advanced Aquarist that I wanted to share with you guys. It shows some of the smaller reef inhabitants of Sulawesi in awesome quality.

Video Link

buddythelion

Loved the video. Examples of things we can only hope/inspire to recreate in our aquariums at home. :)

Loved the video. Examples of things we can only hope/inspire to recreate in our aquariums at home. :)

Agreed. I love those small little shrimps! Especially the one that seemed to be hosting some Xenia. I'd love to have one of those in my tank.

Cool vid. Thanks for sharing

No problem!

The new CUC members from Reef Cleaners arrived today. The Rock Boring Urchin and Turbograzers made it fine along with the Ceriths, Dwarf Ceriths, and Nassarius Snails. The Fighting Conch sadly arrived DOA. :(

John sent tons of extra Dwarf Ceriths which I have no need for. I'll be selling them on a local forum. John also threw in a Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit which is totally cute. Gotta love Reef Cleaners!

The Urchin is pretty cool, I'll have to get some pictures up of it soon. I saw one of the Turbograzers nibbling on some Chondria which made me really happy haha. Hopefully the damn stuff will be gone soon so I can add new corals and such.

MooseBranch

I too just got some additional CUC members with a good bit of extra dwarf ceriths from ReefCleaners. My gf said my tanks looks like its full of hamster poop with all the little black shells lol

I too just got some additional CUC members with a good bit of extra dwarf ceriths from ReefCleaners. My gf said my tanks looks like its full of hamster poop with all the little black shells lol

Haha that's actually a great way to describe it. I don't like having too many CUC members visible - it makes the tank seem very cluttered.

Also, I present to you Mr. Urchin!

dsc07354o.jpg

thats sick as hell. i need to get one sometime.

nice video btw

Thanks!

WOW That is a nice urchin!

Thanks! It's pretty cool with the white spines and burgundy colored body.

I just traded 3 nice sized Xenia frags to my LFS for a 3 headed Blasto frag, another small Green Birdsnest Frag, and a little green mushroom. Not a bad trade! I'll get some pictures up of the frags soon.

I also bought 2 small Feather Dusters, which should look cool under the overhang on the right side of the tank.

In other news, I can't really tell yet if the new CUC members are getting rid of the Chondria. I think I'll begin to manually remove the stuff during each water change to make their job easier. Only time will tell if I can win this battle.

got any new frogs? love how Patrick wedges himself in the power head like that, my sixline likes to sleep in the intake of my tetra in tank whisper filter :lol:

I like the new urchin! It's very cool looking :) Does he bulldoze anything over?

Yea, he's awesome. He hasn't bulldozed anything over yet, but there's a good chance he'll bulldoze the new frags. We'll see, though!

got any new frogs? love how Patrick wedges himself in the power head like that, my sixline likes to sleep in the intake of my tetra in tank whisper filter :lol:

Haha, that's pretty funny.

No new frogs for me. I recently put my 2.1 group of Leucs into the 65g vivarium, they're loving it in there. I'll post some Frog/Vivarium pictures soon.

btw how old is your tank?

The tank will be 9 months old in 5 days.

I didn't realize the tank is this old! Well, not that it's old, but that I've had it for this long...

Here's a couple of frog pictures for you guys. These are D. leucomelas, which I am keeping in my 65 gallon Peninsula style vivarium.

dsc07377s.jpg

dsc07380e.jpg

dsc07367q.jpg

dsc07369dx.jpg

Enjoy! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Sadly I'm not seeing any decrease in the amount of Chondria in the tank. I removed a bunch over the weekend; I even took out one of the pieces of live rock that was affected the most. I am going to once again manually remove as much as I can this weekend, but if this stuff keeps growing at the rate it's growing at, this could honestly be the demise of my reef tank. :(

That sucks :( I'm sorry to hear that

It's alright. I'll have to tear down the tank due to going to college at the end of the summer anyways.

But who knows, maybe I'll be able to win this battle or simply hold it off for a few more months.

Jon in SW Ohio

I had the same algae outbreak in a 12g and 6 Mexican Turbo Snails had it completely gone in a month. Never found anything else that would touch it.

I had the same algae outbreak in a 12g and 6 Mexican Turbo Snails had it completely gone in a month. Never found anything else that would touch it.

Very interesting to hear. I'm thinking of buying a bunch of different types of snails and seeing if any will tackle the problem. If one of them works, I'll buy more of them and sell off the others. It's kind of like a shotgun approach.

Archived