Cultivated Reef

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

Last night one of the Chromis's died. :tears:

Seems I have had fairly bad luck with random fish deaths thus far. I have absolutely no clue why the little guy kicked the bucket...

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry about your loss but Daym your tank still looking good! Way better then mine by far. Lol

Nope, yours is nicer... :P

I'll be posting some pictures hopefully some time this weekend.

So I went to Greenwich Aquaria today, my LFS, planning on just looking around (if that's even possible). Like any good reefer, I brought home another Blue/Green Chromis, a Red Banded Goby/Tiger Pistol Shrimp pair, and a nice Zoa frag. I love impulse buys...

Pictures to come soon!

Here's a nice big picture update for you guys. It took me a while to take and edit all these pictures so any comments would be greatly appreciated. :happy:

dsc05433y.jpg

The only shot of a Chromis I could get - they're incredibly quick!

dsc05445t.jpg

Dragon Eye Zoanthids

dsc05446q.jpg

Eagle Eye Zoanthids

dsc05477d.jpg

Chromis about to be cleaned

dsc05490r.jpg

Bangaii Cardinal

dsc05494s.jpg

The Blenny (Patrick) loves to wedge himself into the power head when it's off during feeding - he's a funny character!

dsc05531k.jpg

I love that face!

dsc05549hf.jpg

Branching Frogspawn

dsc05563j.jpg

Another Cardinal shot

dsc05571g.jpg

The Gorgonian, which is still growing like crazy

dsc05584gy.jpg

Xenia - one of my favorite corals

dsc05611m.jpg

The surface

dsc05617nk.jpg

Snail Race!

dsc05623zs.jpg

Mini Ricordea garden

dsc05670h.jpg

Another surface shot

dsc05680r.jpg

Top/Side view

dsc05689t.jpg

Side view

dsc05665n.jpg

FTS - 1/16/12

Enjoy!

Looks good! Nice shots!

Thanks!

I forgot to apologize for not getting any pictures of the Goby & Pistol Shrimp. I've barely seen the goby and the shrimp has been busy digging burrows, so I haven't even seen it once. Hopefully I can get some shots of them soon.

Looks like a totm pretty soon!

Sadly, I will have to break down my tank soon and sell away my collection preety soon. :(

But on the other half I really enjoy watching your tank progress and pretty pictures.

Your tank is looking great Mitch! I love the shot of the gorg too :happy:

Thanks!

Looks like a totm pretty soon!

Sadly, I will have to break down my tank soon and sell away my collection preety soon. :(

But on the other half I really enjoy watching your tank progress and pretty pictures.

Wow, thanks for the compliments. I'm really sorry to hear you'll have to break your tank down soon. I'll be breaking down this tank come late summer when I'll be leaving for college. Hopefully at some point in college I'll be able to set up a pico or something, but until then I'll have to reef vicariously through you guys.

I still have not seen either the Goby or the Pistol Shrimp since I introduced them. I am beginning to get worried, yet I know they must be there because their burrow remains in tact. Hmm...

looks like it has come back around well mitch. love your tank!!!

Thanks! I think I'll be getting rid of the refugium soon and will be adding a skimmer.

Hydro Slim Skim Nano: Ordered. Should be arriving on Saturday. Got it off Amazon for $100 with $4 one day shipping. Not bad! I hear this is one of the quietest skimmers, and being that the tank is right next to my bed I'm hoping it'll live up to it's name.

Refugium to be sold soon.

:happy:

Tank really looks great. Sorry about the Chromie but the others look healthy!

Thanks! I think it may have been an issue of aggression. Those little buggers are mean to each other! :o

they have a slim skim on a bc24 at the lfs and you cant hear a thing. didnt know it was there for the longest time lol

Great to hear that. I'm interested to see how my tank will react to having a skimmer after not having one thus far.

So I got the skimmer today and have been figuring things out for a little while now. It turns out that the skimmer doesn't fit in the back right corner like I was hoping it would. I currently have it in the back left corner, right behind the Ricordea garden.

It definitely detracts a little bit from the rock scape but it isn't too bad, as it blends in with the background - It almost looks like an overflow. I'll have to move the Gorgonian and where I keep my Xenia frags, though. I also had to remove the back left leg for the light fixture, but I had planned on removing one of the legs. Maybe in the near future I can hang the fixture.

I'll have to rebuild the screen cover for the tank to accommodate the skimmer but that isn't too big of a deal.

I'll update you guys soon with how everything is going.

Hello everyone! I just finished midterms today so I'll have plenty of free time to do tank stuff and post more around here :happy:.

Anyways, I'm loving the Slim Skim so far. It's pretty darn silent and I'm getting some nice brown skimmate from it. It also doesn't have much of an impact on the aquascaping in my tank, which is nice. All the corals have seemed to perk up a little bit since I got the skimmer (not that they weren't healthy before, though) and the water is crystal clear. I had some issues with micro-bubbles coming from the skimmer the first few days but it's dissipated a lot since then. Overall I'd definitely give this Skimmer an A+.

The Goby & Pistol pair can't seem to make up their minds as to where they want their burrow to be. At first they created about 3 separate burrows, but ended up using just one. Then the Shrimp somehow lost the Goby and they both had their own burrows on separate sides of the tank. Now they're both together again but they've switched sides of the tank twice already. It's really odd they won't just settle down.

Anyways, Here's a few shots I took today:

dsc05751bz.jpg

Chromis

dsc05748k.jpg

FTS so you can see what the tank looks like with the skimmer

dsc05702z.jpg

Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

Enjoy, and feel free to comment!

looks so sick. skimmer looks fine in there too

Thanks. I might try a few easy SPS soon now that I've got a skimmer. Do you guys think they'll do fine?

Thanks. I might try a few easy SPS soon now that I've got a skimmer. Do you guys think they'll do fine?

Me thinks so. You should try some.

Me thinks so. You should try some.

Yeah try out a monticap first. My little frag has been doing pretty good and that's under 36 watts of t5. Keep it up high.

Archived