Current Full Tank Shot:

dsc05748k.jpg

FTS - 1/27/12

dsc05689t.jpg

Side view - 1/16/12

Videos

Mitch's 17.4g Reef - 9 Months Old

Hello,

I've finally taken the plunge... this is my first reef! It has been set up since yesterday, 6/15/11. I'm not new at all to aquariums though, all my life I've had a couple of freshwater tanks going. My other main hobby is Poison Dart Frogs (Shout out to any Dendroboard members on here) so they may get some surprise pictures in here too. Anyways, here are some details about the tank:

Current Livestock

Fish

1 Banggai Cardinalfish - Pterapogon kauderni

2 Blue/Green Chromis - Chromis viridis

1 Hi Fin Red Banded Goby - Stonogobiops nematodes

1 Royal Gramma - Gramma loreto

Invertebrates

1 Blood Red Fire Shrimp - Lysmata debelius

1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp - Alpheus bellulus

Clean up Crew

1 Banded Trochus Snail - Trochus sp.

25+ Dwarf Cerith Snails - Cerithium sp.

10+ Nassarius Snails - Nassarius sp.

10+ Florida Cerith Snails - Cerithium sp.

1 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab - Clibanarius tricolor

1 Rock Boring Urchin - Echinometra mathaei

1 Fighting Conch - Strombus alatus

Corals

Red Sea Pulsing Xenia - Xenia umbellata

Ricordeas - Ricordea florida

Zoanthids - Zoanthus sp.

Palythoas - Palythoa sp.

Frogspawn - Euphyllia paradivisa

Green Star Polyps - Clavularia viridis

Rusty Gorgonian - Gorgonia sp.

Candy Cane Coral - Caulastrea furcata

Blastomussa - Blastomussa wellsi

The Setup

Tank

Mr. Aqua 17.4g (24" x 12" x 14.4")

Lighting

Fishneedit 24" 4 Bulb T5HO Fixture

2 ATI Aquablue Special Bulbs

2 ATI Blue+ Bulbs

12.5" 6W Ecoxotic Stunner Strip

Filtration & Heating

Eheim 2213 with 50 Micron Filter Floss, Lignite Carbon, GFO, Purigen

Hydor ETH In-Line Heaters, 200 watt, 5/8"

Skimmer

Hydor Slim Skim Nano

Circulation

Circulation is provided by two Koralia 240's.

Live Rock & Sand

17 lbs. of Fully Cured Manado Live from Premium Aquatics.

15 lbs. of regular Aragonite Reef Sand

I've learned most everything I know from this website thus far. I have two major inspirations for this tank: matth6761's 20 Gallon Nano Reef and Schreiba's ADA 60-F. Thanks for the ideas and inspiration Matt and Schreiba! Also, thanks to anyone who has helped me out in my other threads.

A few other pictures:

dsc03170s.jpg

Top-Down Shot

dsc03129qa.jpg

Just sand

Most Recently Tested Water Parameters

Temperature: 78ºF

SG: 1.025

pH: 8.2

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Ammonia: 0 ppm

My goals for this tank are to keep a thriving system with healthy corals and fish (Who doesn't want that?)

Thanks for looking! Feel free to comment too!

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the rockwork! Definitely following this tank.

Thanks! I had an idea of what sort of rock scape I wanted to do and Premium Aquatics helped me out by sending the perfect rocks to do it. They're awesome... highly recommended.

I'm following too!

Great job so far!

Thanks!

very nice and clean.
Nice aquarium! It looks really clean, and very nice! Your scape is awesome! Definitely following.

Thanks guys. I was thinking about getting Lily Pipes (to get an even cleaner look), but the way the spray bar is positioned you can barely see it. Same goes with the intake.

Yeah I read spray bar and I couldn't see it on your FTS so I was like wtfz.. I say stick with the spray bar if you can't see it, and it does work.

Looks good Mitch!! Glad I could help and provide some inspiration for you ;)

Thanks x2!

Yeah I read spray bar and I couldn't see it on your FTS so I was like wtfz.. I say stick with the spray bar if you can't see it, and it does work.

Yea, that's what I'm thinking.

definitely following along. the rockwork looks amazing. I've always liked the minimalistic and clean approach to a tank and the rimless+aquascape looks awesome.

definitely following along. the rockwork looks amazing. I've always liked the minimalistic and clean approach to a tank and the rimless+aquascape looks awesome.

Thanks! I love rimless and minimalism too.

Changed the 'scape the tiniest bit but I think it looks "smoother" now. Might be barely noticeable to you guys, though. I also added a single Red Mushroom - I'm getting impatient staring at an empty tank! I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

Sorry I couldn't get the pictures up yesterday, but here they are today:

dsc03207e.jpg

Full Tank Shot - You can see the spray bar better in this one.

dsc03198o.jpg

Hitch-hiker: Bristle worm? Need an ID!

dsc03206a.jpg

Another Hitch-hiker: Very tiny (2 mm), sort of looks like baby bristle worm.

dsc03210u.jpg

My single red mushroom... doesn't look too great because I took this right when the lights went on. Might not be much to you guys but this is my first ever coral :)

So far I've seen tons of hitch-hikers from the rock. I've seen about 5 different types of worms, no clue what they are, and tons of copepods and amphipods. I'm sure I'll see tons of others over the next few weeks.

The cycle is a little after mid-way through at this point. Nitrites have spiked and are slowly going down.

Also, like I said, my frogs might get some surprise pictures in here... so here's a picture I took yesterday of one of my Iquitos Vents:

dsc03199w.jpg

I've got a diatom bloom going on now... looks ugly! Glad I'm getting this over with now, though. When I order the CUC they should take care of it if it's not gone by the end of the cycle.

Awesome tank still! :lol:

and that frog has a bad-ass coloration.

Thanks! Once the tank is done cycling I'm making a frog-for-coral trade... getting some awesome Ricordeas, Pom-Pom Xenia, and possibly Paly's. I'm going to set up a Ricordea garden on the bottom left of the rock worm and have the Xenia a little bit to the right/behind. Might not make much sense now but hopefully the next round of pictures will have those corals in them :D.

This...

dsc03222jm.jpg

Compared to this...

dsc03229tr.jpg

It's crazy how much a mushroom can change size throughout the day. You guys may be used to it but I think it's awesome! I also took a close up of the mushroom:

dsc03239f.jpg

I'm also trading some tadpoles from these frogs...

dsc03174v.jpg

...For 4 awesome Ricordeas and a bunch of Pom Pom Xenia. I can't wait to get some corals in the tank! And yes, those frogs are having sexual intercourse.

Also, as you might be able to tell from the photos, the tank is having a big diatom bloom, but I'm hoping it'll go away soon.

That's all for today!

Archived