Cultivated Reef

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You didnt pick up anything from fiji?People like walk around on coral out there.

No, I didn't smuggle any coral home in my suitcase. What do you mean by people walking on coral?

I think he meant that you should have removed a coral from the delicate ecosystem. :P

Oh yea, I love doing that...

Anyways, here's the update... :D

dsc03391fa.jpg

This is what the tank looked like upon my return. Check out the huge bryopsis clump!

dsc03439lq.jpg

Here's the tank after a clean up and water change.

dsc03398ye.jpg

Pom Pom Xenia has grown a lot... went from a couple of polyps to 20+

dsc03402t.jpg

Frogspawn is doing well

dsc03406t.jpg

Red People Eaters are pissed off by the Aiptasia... time to go to work on killing those.

dsc03410vd.jpg

Just a cool shot. I edited a bunch if you can't tell.

dsc03415q.jpg

Rainbow lord acans. Their color has improved a good amount since I got them and continues to improve.

dsc03427u.jpg

Orange and Green Ricordeas... splitting!

dsc03430g.jpg

Pesky Grape Caulerpa popped up while I was away and I can't seem to get rid of it all. Maybe I'll get an emerald crab to munch on it.

dsc03431l.jpg

Peach Ring Zoa's... still healthy, even after being covered by Bryopsis.

That's all for now. Feel free to comment and critique! ;)

Killed all of the Aiptasia earlier with some Aiptasia-X. It worked really well and it was awesome to see them die and melt away. The zoa's are much happier now!

Most likely getting some fish tomorrow at Greenwich Aquaria (my favorite LFS). I'm planning on getting a pair of Clowns and an emerald crab. Also need to pick up some pellet food. Can't wait!

Good to see another Mr. Aqua 17.4g here on nano-reef. I just got mine and getting ready to get it wet. How do you like the overall of this tank?

Your scape look very awesome! Beautiful corals and thanks for posting lots of pictures.

Good to see another Mr. Aqua 17.4g here on nano-reef. I just got mine and getting ready to get it wet. How do you like the overall of this tank?

Your scape look very awesome! Beautiful corals and thanks for posting lots of pictures.

I love the overall look of the tank. Some complain about the panes not being aligned perfectly but I guess I got a good one. Thanks for the compliments.

Can't wait to watch your tank progress too.

Just got back from the LFS... I ended up purchasing a Blood Red Fire Shrimp, an Emerald Crab, and a Purple Firefish. I saw tons of Purple Firefish while diving this summer, so it's awesome to me that I can now keep one at home.

I got the firefish before the clowns because I hear they can be fairly shy, but if allowed to acclimate and settle in before any other inhabitants are introduced, they will be more bold.

Very excited about the new purchases... pictures to come very soon.

For now the Firefish is hanging out inside the cave but will shoot behind the rock-work when I walk over to the tank. The Shrimp is not coming out from behind the rock-work at all. :( The good news is that the Emerald Crab is munching away at the Grape Caulerpa, which was why I bought him. I'll post those pictures when everyone comes out.

most fish are going to be bashful when first introduced - the firefish especially.. Make sure you walk slowly to the tank when he is first coming out - that way when he gets used to seeing you he wont dash into a cave again - took me forever to get my firefish friendly.. but he eventually jumped out the gap by the hob filter :-/

most fish are going to be bashful when first introduced - the firefish especially.. Make sure you walk slowly to the tank when he is first coming out - that way when he gets used to seeing you he wont dash into a cave again - took me forever to get my firefish friendly.. but he eventually jumped out the gap by the hob filter :-/

Now it left the cave and is exploring the tank. Still darts away when I walk up to the tank, though. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully it'll become more bold without any other fish in the tank.

I fed some frozen vitamin-enriched mysis and spirulina brine shrimp... both the Firefish and shrimp ate with gusto. Very happy about that. I took some photos, but nothing good came out for the shrimp. Anyways, here are some pictures of the Firefish:

dsc03775sy.jpg

dsc03764r.jpg

dsc03763d.jpg

Tried to get a shot of it flaring it's fins but to no avail. I'll have better pictures soon. Feel free to comment, since I'm like the only one who posts in this thread haha.

Thats a beautiful purple fire fish. Just be careful they are known to be jumpers.

Thanks! I might have to fashion up a net cover for the tank...

Thanks! I might have to fashion up a net cover for the tank...

You can do that with simple screen frame and bird blocker. That's what I did for my midas blenny.

I love the firefish, and it took about 3 months for my fire shrimp to start coming out, now he's a pesky little bugger. He'll run into all my ricordea and pick out the pellets I feed them, same with my candy cane and anchor. Looking good, bump up your mag. to kill that bryopsis, don;t let it get out of hand!!! I have it all over the side of my tank, so now I have to invest in a phosban reactor.

You can do that with simple screen frame and bird blocker. That's what I did for my midas blenny.

I love the firefish, and it took about 3 months for my fire shrimp to start coming out, now he's a pesky little bugger. He'll run into all my ricordea and pick out the pellets I feed them, same with my candy cane and anchor. Looking good, bump up your mag. to kill that bryopsis, don;t let it get out of hand!!! I have it all over the side of my tank, so now I have to invest in a phosban reactor.

My Firefish is getting bolder by the minute... now he's swimming around, even when I'm sitting in front of the tank. Did you have any other fish when you introduced your Firefish?

The bryopsis isn't bothering me for now. When it starts to annoy me I'll try bumping up the Mg levels... but for now I'm fine with manual removal.

I'm starting to really hate these Dwarf Cerith Snails... all they do is sit in the same place on the sand bed all day, ruining the look of the nice, clean, white sand. They'll move around and clean at night but overall their presence annoys me. It would be fine if I had like 20 of them, but since I have about 150 (thanks ReefCleaners) it's ridiculous how many there are. I'm now going to start removing them until there's about 20 left. This is going to take a while... wish me luck!

I got two nice shots of the Firefish today, who is now incredibly bold!

dsc03786af.jpg

Looking angry?

dsc03789f.jpg

Almost full fin flare. Shows the awesome coloration on this guy.

Also, I found this little green nudibranch-type thing on the glass today. Can anyone ID it? I'll post another thread in the ID section. Thanks!

dsc03783a.jpg

dsc03795a.jpg

There are copepods for size reference but it was about 5 mm.

Most likely going to get an Ecoxotic Stunner Strip for the tank. I'm thinking about getting either the 18-8,000K + 6-453nm or the 8,000K only model. I'll get the 12.5" one and stick it to the T5HO fixture. Thoughts?

I forgot to purchase the reflector for the stunner strip but I was able to call Marine Depot and change my order. They then shipped everything out an hour later. Marine Depot is the best!

Archived