inTank Media Baskets

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

Yeah, as long as electronics are off, water won't damage them, unless things start to corrode, meaning they aren't properly dried. Was it saltwater you spilled on the box and 360? I would be worried about future usage if so. Salt could corrode the parts.

Sadly, yes. I know corrosion will be a possible issue. :( We'll see what happens down the road. Maybe this could be an excuse to get that newer Xbox?

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sadly, yes. I know corrosion will be a possible issue. :( We'll see what happens down the road. Maybe this could be an excuse to get that newer Xbox?

lol maybe. Still, Its gonna cost you. :(

Just wanted to show off the surface skimmer...

dsc03373mm.jpg

Overflow at the surface - adjusts itself for the water level

dsc03374h.jpg

Under the surface - it was sucking in too much air in this picture but I fixed this.

dsc03377qpv.jpg

Also, I've got some Bryopsis on the rock with the Peach Ring Zoa's. Crap!

oof i hate bryopsis with all my heart. I have had it for over a year, nothing I tried has worked to eradicate it.

Surface skimmer looks sweet.

oof i hate bryopsis with all my heart. I have had it for over a year, nothing I tried has worked to eradicate it.

Surface skimmer looks sweet.

Why do you hate it so much? I know it's considered a "pest" macro algae, but what's so bad about it?

Nothing is really "wrong" with it, it's just a real PITA. I have it on one of my main pieces of LR, and once it starts attaching to sps frags and what not, that when it gets really bothersome. idk, it just makes the tank look more sloppy.

Nothing is really "wrong" with it, it's just a real PITA. I have it on one of my main pieces of LR, and once it starts attaching to sps frags and what not, that when it gets really bothersome. idk, it just makes the tank look more sloppy.

Ah, I see. It appears to be on other rocks now that I've checked again :huh: ... looks like it's spreading already!

Also, for some odd reason, the Xenia and two of the ricordeas have not "inflated" in the past two days. It's getting me worried something is wrong. I'll run tests tomorrow.

As some of you may know, I'm leaving on sunday to go on a 3 and a half week diving trip to Fiji & the Solomon Islands :D. I'm bringing my HD GoPro video camera so that I can take dive videos of all the cool stuff I see. Expect many awesome videos upon my return.

Anyways, I'll have a responsible caretaker for this tank but I'm trying to keep things as easy as possible for him. Here's what I'm going to have him do (feel free to suggest other things too):

-Top off with RO/DI daily

-Clean filter and change out filter floss weekly

-Inspect all corals + livestock daily

That's basically it, as I said I'm trying to keep things simple for him. I'll leave him with the LFS's phone number in case anything goes wrong so that they can check it out. I'm not making him do any water changes and such. I'm confident the tank can go this length of time without one.

Dang 3 and a half weeks! Must be nice! Have fun and be safe!

I'd do something about the bryopsis...that stuff is no bueno. Probably the worst algae you can have. Not even lights out for days can kill it.

Dang 3 and a half weeks! Must be nice! Have fun and be safe!

I'd do something about the bryopsis...that stuff is no bueno. Probably the worst algae you can have. Not even lights out for days can kill it.

Thanks! What do you mean by safe? Do shark dives count as safe? ;)

Yea, tomorrow before I leave I was planning on using my 12" forceps to pull out all of the stuff I can. Right now it's fairly contained so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Just did a quick search and found this thread, which claims that doing Mg to levels of about 1500-1600 will kill all Bryopsis, while not harming anything else in the tank. If the Bryopsis gets worse by the time I come back from my trip then I'll have to buy a Mg supplement and an Mg test kit so I can kill the stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I returned late last night to find my tank in good condition (from what I can tell). All the corals are still healthy and have grown some, but I have tons and tons of algae growth that I'll have to take care of. The algae bloom was most likely due to lack of water changes while I was away so now I'll be doing 5 gallon changes 2x per week to combat the algae. Also, there's some aiptasia scattered through out the tank which I'll have to take care of with some aiptasia-x.

In other news, I'm getting fish soon! Also I'll have photos and videos from my trip soon, I've been very busy since I've gotten home and have been very Jet lagged. Tank update coming soon too when I get a chance.

I'm about to start the massive algae/aiptasia removal now, with a water change to follow. First, though, I'll show you guys two cool pictures from my trip:

img4173fl.jpg

This one was taken of me in Kadavu, Fiji. We were diving on some insane looking reefs with plenty of caves and arches to swim through.

img4244e.jpg

This is just me blowing a ring bubble. I love doing that :happy:

Okay, I'll stop procrastinating now and do some tank work. Feel free to comment!

Finished the water change and cleaning earlier... everything went smoothly and things are looking nice again. I just have a ton of hair algae floating around that I scraped off the glass. It should eventually get filtered out though.

Before changing the water I tested the water just to see what it was, and surprisingly the parameters were pretty much perfect. I guess it was because the algae was taking in the excess nutrients.

Lastly, I'm getting fish this weekend! Really excited :happy: I'm going to stock the tank slowly so I'll only get one or two fish. My stocking plans are:

- True Percula Clownfish Pair (definite)

- Fire Shrimp (definite)

- Sixline Wrasse (possibly)

- Firefish (possibly)

- Goby & Snapper shrimp combo (possibly)

I'll either get the sixline, firefish, or goby & shrimp combo as the other members of the tank. Not all of them... just one. Any thoughts? I'd really like some suggestions! Also, I'll post a full update soon.

You didnt pick up anything?

Not exactly sure what you're saying, but if you're talking about fish, then no... I don't have any fish yet.

Archived