Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is it a good school? Im guessing you plan to do some marine bio? Congrats!

Thanks! It's ranked in the top 50 in the nation. I don't plan on doing Marine Bio, actually. I think I may be doing business or something, but we'll see.

Today I traded a Xenia frag for an ORA Green Birdsnest frag with a local reefer. The frag is tiny and a little browned out but I'm hoping it'll do well in my tank. I'll post some pictures of it soon.

I'm leaving tomorrow for an 8 day vacation. I'm a bit nervous about the tank but I think I have everything planned out well. I won't have a tank sitter, but I should be fine. I've been feeding the fish heavily this week so they'll be fine to fast for a week. I'll update you guys when I come back. Wish me luck!

I read thru this whole thread at work today. Awesome tank!! Im also digging those colorful frogs.

Congrats about Lehigh!

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming ;)

Good luck...

-_-

I'm coming back from my vacation tomorrow and i am sooo scared what i will find :scarry: (gone 8 days too)

fingerscrossed

How'd it go for you? I just got back and everyone is doing well. Obviously there's tons of excess algae and stuff but I'll clean that stuff up tomorrow. I'm glad the tank did so well while I was away.

I read thru this whole thread at work today. Awesome tank!! Im also digging those colorful frogs.

Congrats about Lehigh!

Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming ;)

Thanks for the compliments. :happy:

Great looking tank you have there.

What sort of routine maintenance are you doing with the canister?

Thanks. I clean out the canister once a week when I do my water change. I clean the sponge and replace the filter floss with each cleaning. Every two weeks I replace the Carbon and every four weeks I replace the GFO. Overall, maintenance isn't too bad with the canister.

I also forgot to add that the ORA Green Birdsnest frag didn't fare too well while I was away. Hopefully it'll pull through but it's looking pretty bleached. :(

Where did you place the birdsnest? Sorry to hear about the bleaching, but I'd take that over massive tank casualties any day!

I placed it near the top of the rock work where it's getting some good current. I don't think it appreciated the sub-par conditions it was in while I was away.

How is the Gramma working out for you? I recently added one to my 50g tank. It's always out exploring the tank and swims in the open most of the time. The bad thing is that he has quickly become aggressive bullying the Blenny, Clown and Wrasses. He started behaving like this almost immediately . If he doesn't stop harassing the other fish, I am afraid that I'll have to get rid of it.

Eww, why Lehigh. If it's brown, flush it down.

Lafayette?

Awesome Reef :) can't wait for an update!

Greetings from Portugal ;)

Thanks!

How is the Gramma working out for you? I recently added one to my 50g tank. It's always out exploring the tank and swims in the open most of the time. The bad thing is that he has quickly become aggressive bullying the Blenny, Clown and Wrasses. He started behaving like this almost immediately . If he doesn't stop harassing the other fish, I am afraid that I'll have to get rid of it.

Yea, they can definitely be aggressive. Mine is tiny plus I added it to an established tank so it didn't have the chance to establish it's own territory. It actually got a bit beat up the day I added it but now can fend on it's own. It definitely doesn't bother the other fish, though.

:D

It'll be nice to have more local reefers.

Not sure if I can associate with you...

I'm not positive if I'll be reefing in college. Maybe I'll have a pico or something after freshman year but I see myself taking some time off.

Cute Gramma but I still <3 Patrick

Patrick will always have a place in my heart haha. He's a lazy bum but I still love him. :wub:

Tank still looks clean as ever.. I was actually thinking about switching back down to a true nano size from my 40B.. Might get the ADA 60P, which should be the equivalent to this.

Tank still looks clean as ever.. I was actually thinking about switching back down to a true nano size from my 40B.. Might get the ADA 60P, which should be the equivalent to this.

Thanks, but I definitely don't think it looks as clean as it once did - I have much more equipment in there now.

Just to compare:

dsc03207e.jpg

WIth original equipment

dsc05748k.jpg

Current equipment

See what I mean?

More you add, the more equip you need! I've been experiencing this myself.

I think it happens with all reefers... :P

Funny how that works. :P

Yup!

I snapped a few pictures tonight for you guys. Check 'em out:

dsc07330i.jpg

Hi Fin Red Banded Goby

dsc07326u.jpg

The Goby & Pistol Pair

dsc07232iq.jpg

The Gorgonian - Still growing like a champ!

dsc07315bt.jpg

Gorgonian close-up, Ricordeas behind

dsc07248ut.jpg

Frogspawn

dsc07277w.jpg

Xenia

dsc07335g.jpg

The Cardinal scaring the Goby back into it's burrow.

Anyways, the Chondria (the purple stringy macro-algae) is growing out of control. It is smothering most of my Zoanthids and is threatening most of the other corals. It has been a constant battle and I'm still on the losing end. The refugium did little to outcompete it and the Skimmer barely slows it's growth. I'll be purchasing a Rock Boring Urchin and a few Turbograzer snails from John at Reefcleaners.org, which will hopefully eat this evil stuff. I'll keep you guys updated.

Archived