SaltCritters.com

Mitch's 17.4g Reef

_Mitch_

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad news - The RBTA hasn't been very happy for the past few days. It's still eating, but it's tentacles are never fully "inflated." No clue why. Also, the Duncans haven't been very happy either. I guess I'll have to do some water tests...

:unsure:

Looking great Mitch I love all the new pictures! And good luck with your anemone and duncan, hopefully it's nothing too serious.

Thanks! It could just be that I've been feeding the Anemone a lot lately so it is flushing out it's system or something. As for the Duncans, I'm stumped.

Mitch, are we still looking for a manly name for the wrasse or can we call her candy?

Is this even a question? A pink/purple/orange fish is the manliest of them all...

rupert

I'm liking this. Family Guy reference?

Super sweet new fish! Now I want one too!

Yea you do! Definitely an awesome fish.

You need references for a fish?!

Flash Gordon is the hero of a science fiction adventure comic strip.

In Australia, the character and strip were retitled Speed Gordon to avoid a negative connotation of the word "Flash".[1] At the time, the predominant meaning of "flash" was "showy", connoting dishonesty.[2]

I suppose you could always call him Elmo.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why I haven't update you guys on this, but the Anemone has been very stressed for the past few weeks. Just today it finally decided to get up and take a hike. It's now on the backside of the rock work and is still moving.

The cause of the stress is still unknown at this point, and the Duncans seem to be stressed to. I believe it may be been the expired RO/DI filters, which I just replaced with new ones. I'll be doing a water change tomorrow so I'll find out.

If that's not the issue then it maybe have something to do with a Ca/Alk/Mg imbalance.

Hopefully I'll be able to figure this out.

Hope things work out, Mitch. Definitely liked the nem where it was though.

Yea, when the stress goes away I'll move it back to where it was. There's no other space for it in the tank really.

Any updates?

Yea, so I believe the root of the problem was using way too much GFO, depleting some nutrients in the tank. I took all of the GFO out this morning and fed everyone heavily and the Anemone already seems to be perking up. The Duncans have not become any less stressed, though. Maybe the issue really was the GFO, but only time will tell. I will slowly add more GFO each week until I have a normal amount again - not a 100x overdose! -_-

I haven't posted any pictures in a while. I'll try to take some this weekend. Also, happy Thanksgiving too all!

Forgot to add: I just purchased 2 Koralia 240's with flow deflectors to replace the Koralia 425 I'm using now. I'm doing this because the flow I get with the single Koralia is pretty much unidirectional, and some of the corals are not doing as well because of it. Also there are some dead spots in the tank where detritus builds up. Using 2 Koralia's, both with spinning flow deflectors, will make the flow patterns much more random and a little bit stronger. I plan on using one at night in order to give the corals and fish a break from the high flow of day.

good news on the nem

Definitely. Hopefully it will continue to improve and maybe move back to it's original spot so it's not so dangerously close to the Pink Palys...

Archived