Pod Your Reef

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

Wow, stunning tank! Nice work.

Thanks alot much appreciated.

Soooooooo...how's that video coming along? smile.gif

Unfortunately ive had a bit of a setback. I accidentally used too much carbon and killed some of my palys...Specifically the ones growing on one of the sps island. At this point i may have to use blade to remove the remaining unopened polyps.The only good thing about that is by removing those polyps it freed some additional space on that rock and allows me to add some more SPS. It also triggered STN in two of my sps colonies fortunately i was able to frag and remount those pieces. Lastly ive been a bit neglectful over the last month or so(super busy with work) and the tank is a bit messy. As soon as i get things cleaned up ill start working on the vid. Good news is i have a newcomer to the tank that ill share with you guys shortly

What??? Rehype making a video of his tank??? I think I've been waiting forever for this to happen ahha.

Yea i figure that will be my last major update. Ive been wanting to do it for a while now but something always manages to get in the way

Btw Hype, I expect this to be no less than 10 mins long. K? K.

ha i think it will probably be around 3 once all the editing is done biggrin.gif

Yes but making a good video can from what I read be quite an undertaking ... I agree however that his Tank is a model one that everyone should try to duplicate .. it looks spectacular .. just saying

Thats very true albert..shooting and editing a semi professsional looking video can be quite tedious. (it also doesnt help that im slightly ocd with projects like this) Thanks again albert.

Great minds think alike laugh.gif

Any particular tanks inspire you for FW planted? I would like to try it someday myself and you no doubt would be an inspiration to me.

I agreehappy.gif

Theres actually sooooo many... ive literally spent hours looking through galleries on different sites. Of course the most inspiring builds ive seen have come from ADA. This actually been on my to do list for the last 4 years but i always end of putting all of my time and resources into reefing. However when i move next year its a top priority. Ive actually already drawn up sketches of the aquascapelaugh.gif

Hype! I see u have (or had?) a melanurus wrasse...I heard they are not reef-safe? What say u? U have one in your tank so do u think I could have one in my 30 gallon? Do u have any pics of yours? Maybe he'll be in the video wink.gif. I've looked online and they are so beautiful!

Yep i still have him hes actually a Halichoeres leucoxanthus. Pretty much all the wrasses in that genus look similar and have similar feeding and behavior traits. You could get one although they're recommended for tanks at least 50 gallons since they're active swimmers. I initially got mine for pest control and he was pretty small when i got him. Theres some pics of him somewhere in this thread(dont worry he'll definitely be in the vid)

iphone 5! unite!

sorry, couldnt help myself...

biggrin.gifcool.gif

I remember him saying on a thread he had a melanurus wrasse but that it wasn't exactly a Hoeven's (Halichoeres melanurus) but a yellow and purple (Halichoeres leucoxanthus). The reason he kept them was to rid the tank of small inverts like flatworms, pest snails etc, but they also will take out ornamental shrimp, feather dusters so in that way they aren't truly 'reef safe'.

Rehype anything else we should know, that I left out?

Thanks for chiming in flampton. Its true theyre voracious hunters that arent fully "reef safe" as mine has attacked snails at times. However hes never touched my feather duster at least not the large ones. However i would never keep another SPS tank without one or at least one of it smaller cousins. Its very important to quarantine and dip all of your corals but its never hurts to have an exterminator just in case some pests make into your tank. These guys are the best ive seen as they comb through every part of your tank and feed on almost anything that moves.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love to see what someone like you would do with a FW planted tank! I have looked into this myself and someday I'm going to do it. LOL, some of those type tanks require more time and gadgets than SW! :o

I would love to see what someone like you would do with a FW planted tank! I have looked into this myself and someday I'm going to do it. LOL, some of those type tanks require more time and gadgets than SW! :o

Thanks Spiro ive always been fascinated by them and think they're just as beautiful as reef tanks when setup properly. Ive heard the same thing from some reefers that have had planted tanks in the past but to me that makes it even more intriguing :D I plan to start out small probably within the 15-20 gallon range.

Ha, you're just the right man for the job! In reefing and these types of FW planed one's , OCD is a good thing! :)

Thanks alot Spiro.. I believe your totally right that these are some of the only hobbies where exhibiting OCD behavior can be crucial to success.

Thanks alot Spiro.. I believe your totally right that these are some of the only hobbies where exhibiting OCD behavior can be crucial to success.

Yess sir on the OCD!

Those Amano and ADA type tanks are incredible.

Thanks for chiming in flampton. Its true theyre voracious hunters that arent fully "reef safe" as mine has attacked snails at times. However hes never touched my feather duster at least not the large ones. However i would never keep another SPS tank without one or at least one of it smaller cousins. Its very important to quarantine and dip all of your corals but its never hurts to have an exterminator just in case some pests make into your tank. These guys are the best ive seen as they comb through every part of your tank and feed on almost anything that moves.

I am so worried about pests on my SPS. All my corals have been dipped and are currently healthy, but you never know what you could introduce. What would you suggest for a 20 gallon? I wouldn't mind a 6 line but im not sure if Pseudocheilinus would hunt as well as the a Halichoeres. Perhaps a juvenile melanrus would be okay, while I work turn the gears on that deep blue rimless 57 or 60 cube I've been looking at.

Those Amano and ADA type tanks are incredible.

I agree theres just something special about a well manicured planted tank

+1 especially about all the things we need to do and think about :

Just posted a bunch of them ...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4031213

Thats an excellent list albert

I am so worried about pests on my SPS. All my corals have been dipped and are currently healthy, but you never know what you could introduce. What would you suggest for a 20 gallon? I wouldn't mind a 6 line but im not sure if Pseudocheilinus would hunt as well as the a Halichoeres. Perhaps a juvenile melanrus would be okay, while I work turn the gears on that deep blue rimless 57 or 60 cube I've been looking at.

I would suggest a six line as they are just as tenacious however they can be aggresive which is why went with a Halichoeres. They are one of the most peaceful wrasses ive ever owned. If you want a peaceful alternative to the six line look into a pink streaked wrasse they have the size and hunting behavior of a six line but the same disposition as a Halichoeres.

Alright so I want to make my 29 gallon sps dominated so would u recommend a Halichoeres wrasse or just any wrasse in general. The Hoeven's (idk if that's how u spell it) wrasse is so beautiful that I think that would be my first pick if u think one of them would work. U say you're has attacked snails...have u seen it kill them? That wouldn't bother me too much as I know my snails are reproducing. Would it likely kill my hermits? That would bother me a little. Finally, what are the odds that it takes out my 2.5" skunk cleaner shrimp? If it is likely then I'm thinking this will not work, as I'm rather attached to him lol. Do u have any shrimp in your tank? Do u think peppermint shrimp would be safe if I added them in the future?

I was thinking of training a mandarin for my last fish but I think I've changed my mind to a wrasse.

A newcomer to the tank??? The suspense is killing me!

Oh, also, what dip would u recommend for sps?

Thanks Hype! U da man!

Thanks Hype, I appreciate it.

Np albert

Alright so I want to make my 29 gallon sps dominated so would u recommend a Halichoeres wrasse or just any wrasse in general. The Hoeven's (idk if that's how u spell it) wrasse is so beautiful that I think that would be my first pick if u think one of them would work. U say you're has attacked snails...have u seen it kill them? That wouldn't bother me too much as I know my snails are reproducing. Would it likely kill my hermits? That would bother me a little. Finally, what are the odds that it takes out my 2.5" skunk cleaner shrimp? If it is likely then I'm thinking this will not work, as I'm rather attached to him lol. Do u have any shrimp in your tank? Do u think peppermint shrimp would be safe if I added them in the future?

I was thinking of training a mandarin for my last fish but I think I've changed my mind to a wrasse.

A newcomer to the tank??? The suspense is killing me!

Oh, also, what dip would u recommend for sps?

Thanks Hype! U da man!

Id recommend a six line for that tank as only certain species of wrasse have been reported to prey on pests that reef owners are concerned about. Many reefers have had success with Six line and Halichoeres reducing or eliminating the number of pest in their aquariums. Ive seen mine attack snails on numerous occasions and im pretty sure hes killed a few although Ive never seen it bother my blood shrimp its mostly small ornamental shrimp you would have to worry about(such as sexy shrimp). Larger shrimp such as peppermint or cleaner shrimp should be fine.

Yea im hoping i can share some new pics soon

I recommend melafix marine its the best dip ive used thus far its killed pests that others have failed to.

Np man

Np albert

Id recommend a six line for that tank as only certain species of wrasse have been reported to prey on pests that reef owners are concerned about. Many reefers have had success with Six line and Halichoeres reducing or eliminating the number of pest in their aquariums. Ive seen mine attack snails on numerous occasions and im pretty sure hes killed a few although Ive never seen it bother my blood shrimp its mostly small ornamental shrimp you would have to worry about(such as sexy shrimp). Larger shrimp such as peppermint or cleaner shrimp should be fine.

Yea im hoping i can share some new pics soon

I recommend melafix marine its the best dip ive used thus far its killed pests that others have failed to.

Np man

Thanks Hype! I will have to get me some melafix marine!

So...I have never heard of someone having a 6 line for a year without it attempting to kill other fish in the tank. That is part of the reason I wanted te Hoeven's, as I don't really like the look of the pink streaked.

Wadda u think? Could I get away with it? Sounds like it's unlikely to go after my cleaner, which was my main concern.

Thanks Hype! I will have to get me some melafix marine!

So...I have never heard of someone having a 6 line for a year without it attempting to kill other fish in the tank. That is part of the reason I wanted te Hoeven's, as I don't really like the look of the pink streaked.

Wadda u think? Could I get away with it? Sounds like it's unlikely to go after my cleaner, which was my main concern.

You could definitely get away with it and i wouldnt worry about it bothering your cleaner.

You could definitely get away with it and i wouldnt worry about it bothering your cleaner.

Sweet. I got the Hype stamp of approval! I'll have to see if my LFS can get one for me, or maybe diver's den might have it. If not, there's always the "order off liveaquaria" option, even tho I do prefer to see what I'm buying before I buy it.

Lucky these guys aren't even that expensive! The male Hoeven's is amazing!

Sweet. I got the Hype stamp of approval! I'll have to see if my LFS can get one for me, or maybe diver's den might have it. If not, there's always the "order off liveaquaria" option, even tho I do prefer to see what I'm buying before I buy it.

Well you do know they're recommended for larger tanks simply because they need more swimming room but i dont know the dimensions of your build so hopefully you can keep the fish long term as its a beautiful specimen.

Feed it enough and IME you should not have any issues with it Kfmmartin1996

FWIW

Feed it enough and IME you should not have any issues with it Kfmmartin1996

FWIW

Thanks Albert.

Hype...video by mid October?

U r killing me haha. Sorry to hear about the palys, but really, u neeeeeed more sps so...way to see things on the bright side! :)

Hi Hype... remember me? just dropping by to check your thread and drool over your tank pictures...I had to move to New Zealand so I had to take my tank down :( .. I'll probably pick the hobby back up right here...shoutout to all NZ reefers! :)

Hype...video by mid October?

U r killing me haha. Sorry to hear about the palys, but really, u neeeeeed more sps so...way to see things on the bright side! :)

Im probably going to just do it for the tanks 2 year anniversary(provided it doesnt crash before then) in November.

Yea it was kinda sad to see the palys go as they started off with 3 heads and probably spread to nearly 100. But i was tired of them taking up so much space on the rock.I was actually thinking of removing them a few months ago but didnt want to kill them. Now its officially covered with nothing but SPS. Unfortunately i have no more room for SPS or pretty much any coral at this point.

Hi Hype... remember me? just dropping by to check your thread and drool over your tank pictures...I had to move to New Zealand so I had to take my tank down :( .. I'll probably pick the hobby back up right here...shoutout to all NZ reefers! :)

Hey boo!Thanks for checking in man. Sorry to hear about the tank breakdown but im sure your next build will be even better... really look forward to seeing the new tank. Have you decided on dimensions yet?

Hey man!....I'm still in-love with cubes so I'll probably get another 24x24x12 or 15. I'll have to get my bearings first though (new country and all) :lol:

Sounds like another win to me :D Well enjoy your new surroundings i hear its a beautiful place.

The only good thing about that is by removing those polyps it freed some additional space on that rock and allows me to add some more SPS.

I have a nice frag of pink bird with your name on it.

I'm sorry to hear of the tank issues, but I look forward to your updates.

Archived