Coral Vue Hydros

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if your ever up this way i got a frag pack with your name on it.wink.gif

At the 2 year mark is where i feel like i have to either take a break or start something fresh.Its probably because i get so "tuned in" to my tank that it becomes borderline obsessive and my brain needs to resetblink.gifwacko.gif

Yep im still running T5's. They've given me the best combo of growth,coloration and aesthetics out of all the lighting combinations ive tried on this tank(LED,Halides,etc) In terms of LED's ive seen many beautiful tanks using LED's but ive never preferred the overall aesthetics of LEDS compared with T5's or halides. Ive also found that while most coral do fantastic i found some species just looked better under T5's IMHO. I think theres a small gap thats filled very nicely by T5's and when paired together with either halides or LEDs gives fantastic results that ive been able to witness in person.

In terms of growth and and coloration in the T5 vs LED debate many of the arguments are subjective. At the end of the day both types of lighting can grow healthy and colorful coral but its ultimately going to depend on which look you prefer. However if i was going to recommend an LED fixture it would be the new AI vega or the radion which has a much more complete spectrum than the AI sol blue.

If you want to use your apex controller to control your T5's take a look at the ATI dimmable powermodule as that model is compatible with the apex.

At this point i cant live without my royal blues LEDS as i dont think theres any form of light that can create that type of "pop". Its mostly for aesthetics but corals are also able to efficiently use the light in that spectrum.

Thanks again man.

Thanks nano. Yea the red planet had a green in the base while it was small but as it matured the green began to fade away (which is normal with this species)

Do they still make the power module? When I google it I basically just see more about the Sunpower one. So, your light right now isn't controlled by your apex?

So basically, you believe that the best color and growth is gonna come from T5 with some supplemental LEDs or MH to give it that "pop", correct? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this with T5 and LED that can be controlled by an apex for <$500. And I can't find the powermodule...got any ideas where I should look? Thanks.

Do they still make the power module? When I google it I basically just see more about the Sunpower one. So, your light right now isn't controlled by your apex?

So basically, you believe that the best color and growth is gonna come from T5 with some supplemental LEDs or MH to give it that "pop", correct? I'm just trying to figure out the best way to do this with T5 and LED that can be controlled by an apex for <$500. And I can't find the powermodule...got any ideas where I should look? Thanks.

Yep they still make it. No since i have the sunpower model it has a controller built in for adjusting intensity.

Well i think the best growth,coloration and aesthetics can be had with T5's alone or MH/T5 supplementation. I just prefer the additional pop from LED. I think the cheapest option would be to buy a normal ATI sunpower (as the dimmable option isnt nescessary) and add a 24" reefbrite.

7750178156_978cc6bc4a_c.jpg

These are insane! Apparently I need a better camera... and some kick ass variety like that... ASAP

7762477852_827b803eee_c.jpg

How do you like your blue eye cardinals? My LFS had a small shoal the other day and I thought about getting some for my tank.

Yep they still make it. No since i have the sunpower model it has a controller built in for adjusting intensity.

Well i think the best growth,coloration and aesthetics can be had with T5's alone or MH/T5 supplementation. I just prefer the additional pop from LED. I think the cheapest option would be to buy a normal ATI sunpower (as the dimmable option isnt nescessary) and add a 24" reefbrite.

Thank you! So is the only difference between the two is that the powermodule can be more elaborately controlled by an apex, while the Sunpower cannot? Also, instead of a reef brite, do u think I could get away with an ecoxotic panorama pro all-blue light? Idk if u know what this is, but I already have one, that's why I ask. Are u happier with 2 LED strips or do u think 1 will be ok? I suppose I could always just try it with one strip and see how I like it...

Oh yeah...do u think the 4 24 watt bulbs will be enough for a 29 gallon sps tank? That wouldn't even be 4 watts per gallon. But then I'd have the led also...do u think I'd need the 6 bulb one? Do these things have moonlights? So many questions! Haha. Sorry about that lol. Thanks.

E, have you thought of going cold water for a while, something new and exciting, rekindle your passion. Maybe after a break, new years project, haha.

These are insane! Apparently I need a better camera... and some kick ass variety like that... ASAP

How do you like your blue eye cardinals? My LFS had a small shoal the other day and I thought about getting some for my tank.

Thanks man

They're ok but they dont shoal in small tanks especially once they get acclimated. They've actually became a bit territorial towards each other and are separated into pairs. If i had a choice i wouldnt buy them again not unless i had a huge tank(over 100 gallons)

Thank you! So is the only difference between the two is that the powermodule can be more elaborately controlled by an apex, while the Sunpower cannot? Also, instead of a reef brite, do u think I could get away with an ecoxotic panorama pro all-blue light? Idk if u know what this is, but I already have one, that's why I ask. Are u happier with 2 LED strips or do u think 1 will be ok? I suppose I could always just try it with one strip and see how I like it...

Oh yeah...do u think the 4 24 watt bulbs will be enough for a 29 gallon sps tank? That wouldn't even be 4 watts per gallon. But then I'd have the led also...do u think I'd need the 6 bulb one? Do these things have moonlights? So many questions! Haha. Sorry about that lol. Thanks.

Np.And yes thats correct. You could totally get away with the the panorama led. I prefer two LED strips but you would be fine with one.

Absolutely..The ATI T5's are deceivingly powerful..from ATI(4 bulb sunpower): "Common Sizing Guideline: soft coral tanks up to 50 gallons, mixed reef tanks up to 40 gallons and SPS dominated tanks up to 30 gallons". They dont have moonlights but you could always retrofit some on if you so desired.

E, have you thought of going cold water for a while, something new and exciting, rekindle your passion. Maybe after a break, new years project, haha.

I always thought coldwater tanks were cool but im pretty set on going to the freshwater planted side. Ive been meaning to do a build for the last few years and never dedicated myself to it.But Ive actually already sketched up my potential scape as well as equipment specs. That will be first thing on my to do list when i come back. But thanks alot for the suggestion.

Thanks man

They're ok but they dont shoal in small tanks especially once they get acclimated. They've actually became a bit territorial towards each other and are separated into pairs. If i had a choice i wouldnt buy them again not unless i had a huge tank(over 100 gallons)

Np.And yes thats correct. You could totally get away with the the panorama led. I prefer two LED strips but you would be fine with one.

Absolutely..The ATI T5's are deceivingly powerful..from ATI(4 bulb sunpower): "Common Sizing Guideline: soft coral tanks up to 50 gallons, mixed reef tanks up to 40 gallons and SPS dominated tanks up to 30 gallons". They dont have moonlights but you could always retrofit some on if you so desired.

I always thought coldwater tanks were cool but im pretty set on going to the freshwater planted side. Ive been meaning to do a build for the last few years and never dedicated myself to it.But Ive actually already sketched up my potential scape as well as equipment specs. That will be first thing on my to do list when i come back. But thanks alot for the suggestion.

Alright, so u think the 4-bulb one will be fine...don't u have the 6-bulb? Also, did u buy it with the bulbs or did u get ur own bulbs? Which ones do u have? Based on your pictures that is basically the perfect color for me. A crisp white with a little blue mixed in. Looks very nice.

If I got the non-dimmable I would probably retrofit moonlights and then I can hav my Apex turn on moonlights at night, then in the morning a couple hours of just LEDs, then t5 and LEDs, back to just LEDs, then moonlight. I think it'd still look pretty good.

Also wondering if the 24" would look bad/strange over my 20" long biocube...

Alright, so u think the 4-bulb one will be fine...don't u have the 6-bulb? Also, did u buy it with the bulbs or did u get ur own bulbs? Which ones do u have? Based on your pictures that is basically the perfect color for me. A crisp white with a little blue mixed in. Looks very nice.

If I got the non-dimmable I would probably retrofit moonlights and then I can hav my Apex turn on moonlights at night, then in the morning a couple hours of just LEDs, then t5 and LEDs, back to just LEDs, then moonlight. I think it'd still look pretty good.

Also wondering if the 24" would look bad/strange over my 20" long biocube...

Yep i have the 6 bulb fixture and i chose my own bulbs. The bulb combo is a mix of Blue Plus,Coral Plus, Purple Plus and GE6500k. Thanks again

Sounds good to me. I think the ATI will look fine over your biocube.

Yep i have the 6 bulb fixture and i chose my own bulbs. The bulb combo is a mix of Blue Plus,Coral Plus, Purple Plus and GE6500k. Thanks again

Sounds good to me. I think the ATI will look fine over your biocube.

Alright, thanks for all the help! I'm gonna start saving some money, but definitely won't be making a decision until the vega comes out and I see what ppl think about it. Ya know...just in case...;)

Alright, thanks for all the help! I'm gonna start saving some money, but definitely won't be making a decision until the vega comes out and I see what ppl think about it. Ya know...just in case... ;)

No problem...sounds good.

I'm about to order the elos ato, have a couple questions. From what I have seen, you need to ziptie the probe to something?

Do you know if the probe will fit in an eshopps probe holder? Or should I just ziptie it to my heater or AC50?(going in a display tank)

I'm about to order the elos ato, have a couple questions. From what I have seen, you need to ziptie the probe to something?

Do you know if the probe will fit in an eshopps probe holder? Or should I just ziptie it to my heater or AC50?(going in a display tank)

You dont have to...im actually using a magnet.

atoprobe.jpg

The probe might be a bit too small to fit in the holder you may be better off with the ziptie option.

You have such a beautiful tank

Thanks so much.

• 2 weeks later...
What??? Rehype making a video of his tank??? I think I've been waiting forever for this to happen ahha.

Me too, my friend...me too.

He said by the end of september...we will see...;). Btw Hype, I expect this to be no less than 10 mins long. K? K.

lolol 10 min would be nice but a lot of work and dedication for sure...

Ehh...His tank is so good...video editing is pointless. The tank is already perfect. Not too much extra work...haha

Ehh...His tank is so good...video editing is pointless. The tank is already perfect. Not too much extra work...haha

Yes but making a good video can from what I read be quite an undertaking ... I agree however that his Tank is a model one that everyone should try to duplicate .. it looks spectacular .. just saying

Great minds think alike :lol:

Any particular tanks inspire you for FW planted? I would like to try it someday myself and you no doubt would be an inspiration to me.

Hype! I see u have (or had?) a melanurus wrasse...I heard they are not reef-safe? What say u? U have one in your tank so do u think I could have one in my 30 gallon? Do u have any pics of yours? Maybe he'll be in the video ;). I've looked online and they are so beautiful!

I remember him saying on a thread he had a melanurus wrasse but that it wasn't exactly a Hoeven's (Halichoeres melanurus) but a yellow and purple (Halichoeres leucoxanthus). The reason he kept them was to rid the tank of small inverts like flatworms, pest snails etc, but they also will take out ornamental shrimp, feather dusters so in that way they aren't truly 'reef safe'.

Rehype anything else we should know, that I left out?

Archived