Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

Indeed and I guess that comes with experience and knowledge of the life forms we maintain in our tanks ....

Very true.

Send frags to me.. I pay! :lol:

I hear ya about the OCD..I have woken up out of a deep sleep knowing something was going on with one of my tanks lol :huh::mellow:

:D If i ever decide to ship your first on the list

Really?!You too?Ha i thought i was the only one. I saved my tank from crashing one time....

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks so much Daniel. Your tank looks fantastic as well. It reminds me of my old 60-F

I currently only dose Reef code B for Alkalinity from Brightwell Aquatics.Im using a drews doser(controlled by my apex) to dose around 16ml daily.Im not dosing calcium as Oceanic saltmix runs pretty high in the calcium department although in the near future I may have to begin dosing. I perform 5 gallon water changes weekly and add additional iodide,potassium and trace elements to enhance the saltmix.

Have you thought about TM Reef Actif? I'm using to try to get rid of GHA. It's a form of solid carbon dosing.

Do you feed your corals ?

Have you thought about TM Reef Actif? I'm using to try to get rid of GHA. It's a form of solid carbon dosing.

Do you feed your corals?

Ive never tried it although it sounds interesting.I dose vodka when I need to lower nutrients in a relative hurry. I find it be the most potent form of carbon dosing.

At this point only indirectly.

So i wake up this morning to feed my tank and notice my female clown looks to be in bad shape. Shes wont eat and is very lethargic. Upon close inspection i notice what seems to be brook and shes going downhill fast. I also notice she has a piece of algae hooked into her lip. Its actually pierced all the way through and can be seen from the inside of her mouth. Its long enough that it could prevent her from eating.. needless to say things are going from bad to worse(Im miffed this all happened overnight) regardless i setup a quarantine tank in a hurry(already running late for work at this point) and shes so lethargic im actually able to catch her with my hands as she was barely swimming.I manage to remove the death algae with a pair of tweezers and add some drops of formalin to the QT tank...wish me luck

Never a dull moment

Good luck with the sick fish.

"At the 2 year mark is where i feel like i have to either take a break or start something fresh.Its probably because i get so "tuned in" to my tank that it becomes borderline obsessive and my brain needs to reset"

One thing that helped me with this was when I moved from a 1 bedroom apartment to a house. When I moved the tank went in another room where it wasn't in constant view. I'm less obsessive and stressed with it now because I don't see it constantly. Changes in growth are more noticeable now though for the same reasons.

Oh no! Sorry to hear this!!! What kind of lip piercing algae is this??

Im not sure its very bristle like and i havent been able to locate it elsewhere in the tank. Im assuming she was going after some food and accidentally pierced herself on a protruding branch.

Good luck with the sick fish.

"At the 2 year mark is where i feel like i have to either take a break or start something fresh.Its probably because i get so "tuned in" to my tank that it becomes borderline obsessive and my brain needs to reset"

One thing that helped me with this was when I moved from a 1 bedroom apartment to a house. When I moved the tank went in another room where it wasn't in constant view. I'm less obsessive and stressed with it now because I don't see it constantly. Changes in growth are more noticeable now though for the same reasons.

Thanks Dan. Thats a really good suggestion im definitely going to do that when i move.

So i wake up this morning to feed my tank and notice my female clown looks to be in bad shape. Shes wont eat and is very lethargic. Upon close inspection i notice what seems to be brook and shes going downhill fast. I also notice she has a piece of algae hooked into her lip. Its actually pierced all the way through and can be seen from the inside of her mouth. Its long enough that it could prevent her from eating.. needless to say things are going from bad to worse(Im miffed this all happened overnight) regardless i setup a quarantine tank in a hurry(already running late for work at this point) and shes so lethargic im actually able to catch her with my hands as she was barely swimming.I manage to remove the death algae with a pair of tweezers and add some drops of formalin to the QT tank...wish me luck

Never a dull moment

Indeed ... all the best for her (and you)

I'm watching for a full recovery, hang in there little fishy.

Thanks alot kat :(

Unfortunately i lost her. I knew i had a slim chance as she was in pretty bad shape this morning. RIP clownfish

Unfortunately i lost her. I knew i had a slim chance as she was in pretty bad shape this morning. RIP clownfish

That's too bad. Sad to loose any fish, but especially one you've had for a while.

Sorry to read it ... R.I.P. little cute clownfish ....

I'm sorry to hear that. sad.gif

What will you be doing, if anything to treat the tank before other fish get sick?

And what did you introduce that resulted in the outbreak in this fish?

Thanks kat. Well the other clown is currently showinng any signs of infection but ill just do some extra water changes,sandbed siphoning and up the feedings.

Not really sure as i havent added anything new in a long time. I actually took out my yellow wrasse because he outgrew the tank and donated him to my LFS(he looks great in their display tank) and my cardinals decided to fight each other until there was only one left standing.

That's too bad. Sad to loose any fish, but especially one you've had for a while.

I never get used to it..

Sorry to read it ... R.I.P. little cute clownfish ....

Thanks alot albert

Very sorry. :(

Thanks weetakins

squirrelieygrrrl

So glad to see your tank is thriving! Hopefully your impending move is more kind on it than mine was! lol. I went back a few pages to check out pics, and I must say impressive as always. So sorry to hear about your clown, how long had you had her?

So glad to see your tank is thriving! Hopefully your impending move is more kind on it than mine was! lol. I went back a few pages to check out pics, and I must say impressive as always. So sorry to hear about your clown, how long had you had her?

Thanks alot sg. Yea moving is the worst on reef tanks. Ive pretty much had semi disasters/crashes on both of my previous moves so i have pretty low expectations my next go round...lol.

I had her about 8 months. Fortunately the male still looks healthy so ill keep my fingers crossed.

I'm sorry to hear this news :tears:

R.I.P. Little clown.

Thanks alot nt i appreciate it.

I'll cross a few more for you.

Thanks sg

Tank looks great with the seahorse. Sorry about the female picasso clown loss. How is the male doing though?

Thanks man the male seems to be doing fine as of right now.

I see. Do you still have pictures of the male and female?? I forgot which is which and how they look like.

Female was the larger one

7046049101_24c709c016.jpg

Archived