ReefCleaners.org

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

Its going to take alot of persistence and patience but i have faith youll catch him ;)

I just got a great deal on some custom acrylic containers from a fellow nano reefer. These are probably the slickest looking containers ive ever laid eyes on and its perfect they're nano sized so i can fit them above my sump.

Yes indeed .. but where there is a will there is a way as they say :-)

And on those reactors/containers: wow those "are" nice !

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes indeed .. but where there is a will there is a way as they say :-)

And on those reactors/containers: wow those "are" nice !

Ive had to catch numerous fish over the years and its never easy (at least for me) but in the end the effort was always worth it.

Thanks alot albert

For them to hold my 2 part solution. I cant believe at this point im dosing 30ml a day to keep up with alk demands.

My tank is doing the same, using up much more Alk than calcium. What causes this much consumption?

My tank is doing the same, using up much more Alk than calcium. What causes this much consumption?

Ive had the same experiance in the past as well. I hypothesise it would have to do with amino acid production in bacteria and planktonic life, and my bio professor seemed to feel the same when I asked them about it. When I started using vodka to culture bacteria the alk demands skyrocketed as well so I'm fairly convinced theres at least a positive correlation, but the exact cause has elluded me.. Hopefully Hype will have more ideas on the matter because I'm very curious as well.

Those reactors are epic rehype! They kinda make me wish I had a reason to build something like that for my tank lol. Im a sucker for reef swag :lol:

Ive had the same experiance in the past as well. I hypothesise it would have to do with amino acid production in bacteria and planktonic life, and my bio professor seemed to feel the same when I asked them about it. When I started using vodka to culture bacteria the alk demands skyrocketed as well so I'm fairly convinced theres at least a positive correlation, but the exact cause has elluded me.. Hopefully Hype will have more ideas on the matter because I'm very curious as well.

Those reactors are epic rehype! They kinda make me wish I had a reason to build something like that for my tank lol. Im a sucker for reef swag :lol:

I think this is a rather common experience and I battled this too for a while. It just didn't make any sense at the time that Cal could remain stable, but Alk would seem to rapidly drop using a perfectly balanced replenishment product (Kalkwasser in my case).

I stumbled upon an article (Randy Holmes-Farley) that described how Alk was much more prone to swing up or down than Cal due to the fact that there is a lot more calcium than there is alkalinity in saltwater:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/index.php

"Consequently, many aquarists observe that their calcium levels are relatively stable, but alkalinity can vary substantially. This is exactly what one would expect based on the fact that the tank already has an abundance of calcium." (Randy Holmes-Farley)

Precipitation of calcium carbonate consumes its two components, Cal and Alk, in a 1:1 ratio, however, this corresponds to one meq/l (2.8 dkh) Alk for every 20 ppm of Cal.

As an example, let's say I test Cal every week for a month and it stays at 440 ppm (per my Salifert test kit). Let's also say that the true reading for the first week was actually 445 ppm, second week 441 ppm, third week 438 ppm and fourth week 435 ppm (10 ppm total in four weeks). So, what is happening to Alk? From week one to week four Alk will have dropped 0.5 meq/l (1.4 dKH) while Cal would be perceived as stable at 440 ppm. The normal aquarist reaction is to add more Alk, but what is really needed is an increase in both CAL and ALK from the balanced supplement!

I've been testing this out over the last few months by very slowly adding a slightly greater input/wk of Kalkwasser in my ATOs. and testing Cal and Alk 2X/wk. After a while I found the 'sweet spot' where Alk no longer decreased and Cal remained constant. Of course, one has to keep testing periodically since tank organisms can start to use more (or less if some are pruned or removed) Cal/Alk, evaporation increases or decreases, etc.

Lastly, in any aquarium it is expected that over extended periods of time Alk will begin to decrease in relation to Cal due to organic and other processes. And this would be the appropriate time to use an Alk supplement by itself.

Sorry for the 'novela' Rehype, but it's a rather complex topic. Luckily, implementation of the solution is rather straight-forward.

XxViEtXjUStiNxX

Thanks for posting on my thread. Love your tank buddy. I'm surprised you're using 30ml/day. That's a lot. I'm only using half of that in my 40g.

Ive had fish disappear for months and reappear out of the blue so unless you actually found a carcass theres always hope

Then where the heck is this Black Ray Goby I recently added? Dam thing hasn't shown himself for weeks.

Also something to consider with smaller fish (maybe not the wrasse), is that corals such as euphylia can and will eat them. I found a goby face down in my hammer coral once.

Im curious how far do you live from Greenwich CT?

Ever be willing to trade or sell some frags?

Good luck in the storm, best wishes!

Those reactors are epic rehype! They kinda make me wish I had a reason to build something like that for my tank lol. Im a sucker for reef swag laugh.gif

Thanks man me toolaugh.gif

Thanks for posting on my thread. Love your tank buddy. I'm surprised you're using 30ml/day. That's a lot. I'm only using half of that in my 40g.

Np man you did a great job cant wait to see what your tank looks like in a year. Yea its steadily increased over the last few months im sure its from the demand of the larger colonies.

I think this is a rather common experience and I battled this too for a while. It just didn't make any sense at the time that Cal could remain stable, but Alk would seem to rapidly drop using a perfectly balanced replenishment product (Kalkwasser in my case).

I stumbled upon an article (Randy Holmes-Farley) that described how Alk was much more prone to swing up or down than Cal due to the fact that there is a lot more calcium than there is alkalinity in saltwater:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/index.php

"Consequently, many aquarists observe that their calcium levels are relatively stable, but alkalinity can vary substantially. This is exactly what one would expect based on the fact that the tank already has an abundance of calcium." (Randy Holmes-Farley)

Precipitation of calcium carbonate consumes its two components, Cal and Alk, in a 1:1 ratio, however, this corresponds to one meq/l (2.8 dkh) Alk for every 20 ppm of Cal.

As an example, let's say I test Cal every week for a month and it stays at 440 ppm (per my Salifert test kit). Let's also say that the true reading for the first week was actually 445 ppm, second week 441 ppm, third week 438 ppm and fourth week 435 ppm (10 ppm total in four weeks). So, what is happening to Alk? From week one to week four Alk will have dropped 0.5 meq/l (1.4 dKH) while Cal would be perceived as stable at 440 ppm. The normal aquarist reaction is to add more Alk, but what is really needed is an increase in both CAL and ALK from the balanced supplement!

I've been testing this out over the last few months by very slowly adding a slightly greater input/wk of Kalkwasser in my ATOs. and testing Cal and Alk 2X/wk. After a while I found the 'sweet spot' where Alk no longer decreased and Cal remained constant. Of course, one has to keep testing periodically since tank organisms can start to use more (or less if some are pruned or removed) Cal/Alk, evaporation increases or decreases, etc.

Lastly, in any aquarium it is expected that over extended periods of time Alk will begin to decrease in relation to Cal due to organic and other processes. And this would be the appropriate time to use an Alk supplement by itself.

Sorry for the 'novela' Rehype, but it's a rather complex topic. Luckily, implementation of the solution is rather straight-forward.

Thanks for contributing nano. Ive found the same to be true in my tank.. its nothing to be to concerned about as long as you keep them in their target ranges. Its pretty common in enclosed systems.

Ive had fish disappear for months and reappear out of the blue so unless you actually found a carcass theres always hope

Then where the heck is this Black Ray Goby I recently added? Dam thing hasn't shown himself for weeks.

Also something to consider with smaller fish (maybe not the wrasse), is that corals such as euphylia can and will eat them. I found a goby face down in my hammer coral once.

Totally agree with you. One time i lost a green banded goby for 8 months and found him one day while cleaning a chamber of my sump

Im curious how far do you live from Greenwich CT?

Ever be willing to trade or sell some frags?

Good luck in the storm, best wishes!

About an hour and a half

If your ever in the area let me know.

Thanks man...you too. Its looking pretty bad this storm may end my archipelago a bit earlier than scheduled.Unfortunately i dont have a generator just a vortech battery backup. I guess we'll see what happens

Grab a power inverter if you can. Although I'm guessing they are all gone. I grabbed one from work last week just to have at home as a backup incase the power goes out this winter like it did last year for 3 days straight. My car will be able to idle for 3 days no problem and provide the power needed to support my tank.

Grab a power inverter if you can. Although I'm guessing they are all gone. I grabbed one from work last week just to have at home as a backup incase the power goes out this winter like it did last year for 3 days straight. My car will be able to idle for 3 days no problem and provide the power needed to support my tank.

Thanks for the info eddie i wish i wouldve known about those sooner. Oh well you live and you learn right?

Great idea indeed ... and good info for those who had not thought about that option.

Thanks

I spent a good amount of time reading through all 200+ pages of this thread, & instead of continuing to lurk I finally registered so I could tell you that I learned quite a bit from you & everyone in here.

Your set-up is a good part of my motivation for this hobby man. Good on you.

Hope you weather the storm by the way.

I spent a good amount of time reading through all 200+ pages of this thread, & instead of continuing to lurk I finally registered so I could tell you that I learned quite a bit from you & everyone in here.

This is awesome I know its not my thread but let me be the first to welcome you to nano-reef. I know you will enjoy the site and the wealth of info from many knowledgeable members here. Everyday I think all of us learn something new.

Welcome to Nano-Reef ... I am sure you will enjoy the various threads and all the advice you can get and all you can learn from everything that has been posted already .. and yes Rehype's tank is a "model" of a perfect running reef tank ... we all wish we could duplicate it !

Thanks for the concern guys but unfortunately shes gone.... The storm took her. I was ill prepared and she paid the price. I wasnt counting on the temperatures to drop as low as they did. I pretty much cleaned everything out already.It sucks as i probably wont have power until monday.But Thanks for all the support. you guys are the reason this tank was kept running as long as it did. But as you know as i was planning to take it down soon anyway i just wouldve have preferred a more gracious exit.....its pretty heartbreaking to lose all your livestock this way.

Well i be starting a for sale thread in the classifieds as im officially out of the hobby for a while. So plenty of goodies going up for sale

OH noooo.....so sorry to hear this and under such crappy circumstances. Your tank has been such an inspiration to me and I'm sure thousands of other on here and RC.

Maybe a FW planted in the near future????

Thanks for the concern guys but unfortunately shes gone.... The storm took her. I was ill prepared and she paid the price. I wasnt counting on the temperatures to drop as low as they did. I pretty much cleaned everything out already.It sucks as i probably wont have power until monday.But Thanks for all the support. you guys are the reason this tank was kept running as long as it did. But as you know as i was planning to take it down soon anyway i just wouldve have preferred a more gracious exit.....its pretty heartbreaking to lose all your livestock this way.

Well i be starting a for sale thread in the classifieds as im officially out of the hobby for a while. So plenty of goodies going up for sale

I'm sobbing uncontrollably...in public...what exactly happened?

I'm so sorry for your lose. A lot of locals around me lost their tanks too; it's really unfortunate.

So sorry to read it Eugene ... I am truly sorry for you and for your livestock ! What a shame indeed that it happened and that you really could not do anything about it.

And on the temperature, it is a good thing I have an oversized heater in my tank as my heating went out, not the electricity, just the heating unit, and it is getting real cold in ATL, and this morning in the house it was 63 degrees, but my heater managed to keep the tank at 78 because it is a 200 watt in a 20 G (which may has 16 or 17 gals of water in it).

Again sorry to read what happened ... I feel for and with you.

Archived