inTank Media Baskets

Hypes Archipelago

Rehype

You could use a gravel vacuum like this. Personally I use a turkey baster to siphon up sections of the sandbed and deposit it in a small container. Then i use tank water to rinse the collected sand. I basically just rinse and repeat until the water filters clear and redeposit it in the tank. Takes some time but once you get a rhythm its not too bad.

Thanks Hype! Still looking forward to that video!

P.S. I got a Melanuras wrasse today. In honor of u I may name him Hype ;). He is beautiful! When I went to do a water change I think he buried himself because I can no longer find him! It's been a few hours...hope he's ok.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks Hype! Still looking forward to that video!

P.S. I got a Melanuras wrasse today. In honor of u I may name him Hype wink.gif. He is beautiful! When I went to do a water change I think he buried himself because I can no longer find him! It's been a few hours...hope he's ok.

Oh, also, what salt do u use? Also can u recommend an RODI unit? Looking into investing in one to save some $ long-term

No problem. I gotta get working on that soon

Thats awesome i would be honored :D Hes fine they bury themselves at night and they also do it when stressed or frightened but he should come out soon enough.

I use oceanic. I recommend BRS units great price and great units.

No problem. I gotta get working on that soon

Thats awesome i would be honored :D Hes fine they bury themselves at night and they also do it when stressed or frightened but he should come out soon enough.

I use oceanic. I recommend BRS units great price and great units.

Haha sorry I keep posting but you're the only one I know with experience with this wrasse. So I have had him for 2-3 days now and he was actually eating on the first day. Very comfortable, got along with the other fish, buried himself every night and has been actively swimming in the middle of the tank every day. Today I walked down to look at the tank at 3 and could not find him. It is now 5 hrs later and still no sign. Am I being paranoid? It's just odd because he has been actively swimming front and center for the last 3 days and now he is no where to be seen. Tank is covered so I know he didn't jump. And in a 30 gallon it's not like there many places he could hide from me for 5 hrs! Idk...what do u think?

Haha sorry I keep posting but you're the only one I know with experience with this wrasse. So I have had him for 2-3 days now and he was actually eating on the first day. Very comfortable, got along with the other fish, buried himself every night and has been actively swimming in the middle of the tank every day. Today I walked down to look at the tank at 3 and could not find him. It is now 5 hrs later and still no sign. Am I being paranoid? It's just odd because he has been actively swimming front and center for the last 3 days and now he is no where to be seen. Tank is covered so I know he didn't jump. And in a 30 gallon it's not like there many places he could hide from me for 5 hrs! Idk...what do u think?

I wouldnt worry about it as thats pretty normal behavior for a wrasse in a new environment. As long as your positive he didn't jump then hes probably just hiding in the sand. I find they spook pretty easily and take some time to get fully adjusted.

I wouldnt worry about it as thats pretty normal behavior for a wrasse in a new environment. As long as your positive he didn't jump then hes probably just hiding in the sand. I find they spook pretty easily and take some time to get fully adjusted.

K. Just kinda paranoid cuz he's been missing for like 7-8 hrs now...idk...

In other news, I heard your other clown isn't doing well???

What is this nonsense?????

Tell him to quit complaining and pull himself together ;)

K. Just kinda paranoid cuz he's been missing for like 7-8 hrs now...idk...

In other news, I heard your other clown isn't doing well???

What is this nonsense?????

Tell him to quit complaining and pull himself together ;)

I understand but i wouldnt worry about it too much. he'll pop up before you know it.

Yea unfortunately this morning i noticed signs of brook so i had to put him in timeout. I kind of figured he would catch it although im a bit more optimistic on him making a recovery. Unfortunately im going to have to keep him in qt for a pretty long time....

I understand but i wouldnt worry about it too much. he'll pop up before you know it.

Yea unfortunately this morning i noticed signs of brook so i had to put him in timeout. I kind of figured he would catch it although im a bit more optimistic on him making a recovery. Unfortunately im going to have to keep him in qt for a pretty long time....

Well, hopefully the bugger will come out tomorrow!

That blows. Hope he feels better! How many fish u have left in that tank??

Well, hopefully the bugger will come out tomorrow!

That blows. Hope he feels better! How many fish u have left in that tank??

Thanks man..None atm

Thanks man..None atm

Hope your fish situation is doing better. I cannot say that for my tank, however...

It's been 2 days and still no sight of the wrasse. I am concerned that I just wasted $50 to look at a beautiful fish in my tank for 3 days. It is 3", making it the biggest fish in the tank, so it's not like he has all that many places to hide. Just checked all around the tank again and in the back chambers...nothing. I have no idea how he would get out tho. Is it even possible he could die and be completely consumed by CUC in like less than 12 hrs?? I dunno...needless to say I am very upset. I just don't understand this! He was swimming around just fine and eating since day 1 for 3 days! No one was picking on him! I just don't understand...

Hey hype how's it goin? It's been a while since I've visited your thread, your sps looks amazing and the tank is still looking great. I had a quick question. When you had your Talbots damsels did you notice that they were aggressive towards your other more peaceful fish? I am thinking about adding 2 or 3 to my new 30 gallon but I am also planning to have some more less aggressive fish like blennies. I like them because they are a small, colorful fish tht will add some good movement to my tank. Thanks for your input.

Hope your fish situation is doing better. I cannot say that for my tank, however...

It's been 2 days and still no sight of the wrasse. I am concerned that I just wasted $50 to look at a beautiful fish in my tank for 3 days. It is 3", making it the biggest fish in the tank, so it's not like he has all that many places to hide. Just checked all around the tank again and in the back chambers...nothing. I have no idea how he would get out tho. Is it even possible he could die and be completely consumed by CUC in like less than 12 hrs?? I dunno...needless to say I am very upset. I just don't understand this! He was swimming around just fine and eating since day 1 for 3 days! No one was picking on him! I just don't understand...

Its possible hes dead but like i said he may be hiding. They sleep in the sand so it not unheard of them going unseen for days at a time. Ive heard of some disappearing for a week when first introduced to new surroundings. Id give it a few more days....hopefully hes fine

Hey hype how's it goin? It's been a while since I've visited your thread, your sps looks amazing and the tank is still looking great. I had a quick question. When you had your Talbots damsels did you notice that they were aggressive towards your other more peaceful fish? I am thinking about adding 2 or 3 to my new 30 gallon but I am also planning to have some more less aggressive fish like blennies. I like them because they are a small, colorful fish tht will add some good movement to my tank. Thanks for your input.

hey jg how its going bud? thanks for the complement. In regards to the talbots....dont do it. as they show territorial aggression once they're established. In larger tanks with larger fish that can hold their own it wouldnt be much of a problem but in smaller tanks with passive tankmates it will turn into a nightmare. They will bully any fish that doesnt hold their ground.

hey jg how its going bud? thanks for the complement. In regards to the talbots....dont do it. as they show territorial aggression once they're established. In larger tanks with larger fish that can hold their own it wouldnt be much of a problem but in smaller tanks with passive tankmates it will turn into a nightmare. They will bully any fish that doesnt hold their ground.

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for a smaller colorful active fish that I can keep possibly in a small group. Any suggestions? This tank is for my son mainly and the more colorful and active the fish the better.

Thanks for the heads up. I am looking for a smaller colorful active fish that I can keep possibly in a small group. Any suggestions? This tank is for my son mainly and the more colorful and active the fish the better.

Np man. Honestly something like a six line wrasse or a small group of chromis are your best best.(at least in terms of being hardy and active)

+1 IME that is indeed what happens and I have had instances in the past where I would not see it for days and then suddenly it re-appeared.

Right now I am having the issue with a Yellow Rose Goby (tiny) that I don't always even see when I feed .. but I think I know the reason : the Lantern Basslet ( Serranus baldwini ) is too large and a little to fast to grab food and outcompetes all others .. but I am hoping that some of the food particles that get between and underneath the rock allow the YRG to get some food at least, which must be the case since the fish is still there, although as I said I do not see it very frequently.

More pics! smile.gif

biggrin.gif

+1 IME that is indeed what happens and I have had instances in the past where I would not see it for days and then suddenly it re-appeared.

Right now I am having the issue with a Yellow Rose Goby (tiny) that I don't always even see when I feed .. but I think I know the reason : the Lantern Basslet ( Serranus baldwini ) is too large and a little to fast to grab food and outcompetes all others .. but I am hoping that some of the food particles that get between and underneath the rock allow the YRG to get some food at least, which must be the case since the fish is still there, although as I said I do not see it very frequently.

Ive had fish disappear for months and reappear out of the blue so unless you actually found a carcass theres always hope

Ive had fish disappear for months and reappear out of the blue so unless you actually found a carcass theres always hope

Actually very true Rehype ... happened to me too a long time ago and now the YRG but I am sure it is somewhere just hiding out because of the Basslet which is getting too large and which I think I am going to have to trade back in to the LFS for something else.

Problem will be catching him as he is an escape artist in the tank ... so I may need to get a fish trap and hope that that will work ... or get rocks out of the tank and catch him with a net ...

Actually very true Rehype ... happened to me too a long time ago and now the YRG but I am sure it is somewhere just hiding out because of the Basslet which is getting too large and which I think I am going to have to trade back in to the LFS for something else.

Problem will be catching him as he is an escape artist in the tank ... so I may need to get a fish trap and hope that that will work ... or get rocks out of the tank and catch him with a net ...

Its going to take alot of persistence and patience but i have faith youll catch him ;)

I just got a great deal on some custom acrylic containers from a fellow nano reefer. These are probably the slickest looking containers ive ever laid eyes on and its perfect they're nano sized so i can fit them above my sump.

container1.jpg

This do look very James Bond-ish. What are you planning?

For them to hold my 2 part solution. I cant believe at this point im dosing 30ml a day to keep up with alk demands.

So that means you will be keeping your tank running longer. I'm so happy!

Happy for you!

Thanks alot D

Well provided i dont lose it as a result of the upcoming hurricane....

Archived