SaltCritters.com

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

Drift Monkey
Some people actually feed shrimp/fish pellets to corals, but I have heard that it might be to hard on their digestive system due to the nutrients and preparations of the pellets. It is universal that mysis is the most used food for LPS. So you can't go wrong with mysis. Cyclops is small compared to mysis and can get a little bit more messy. I'm just trying out this fauna marin pellets for LPS, it is a little pricey but I heard really good reviews about it. Variety is key for the health of any animal.

Well, the only mouths I feed as of now are my candy canes and my palys, both of which seem to take the shrimp pellets just fine. Well, that and my porcelain crabs...but only one of them really takes the crushed up pellets readily, which is why I was considering cyclops as a universal staple for the tank...but I suppose I should also get mysis since, as you said, diversity is key. :)

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally automatic water changes!!!!! I have done a total of ~180 daily water changes up till this day. Time to let a machine take over.

20,000 views, woot!

I've been seeing aquariums to upgrade. I really like the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon and also ADA 60-F designs. They would go perfectly on the kitchen counter. I really want to just stick to one aquarium instead of having 2 like I do right now. Err, decisions, decisions.

No!!! Don't get rid of the pico!

Lol, not anytime soon.

You do DAILY waterchanges?

Yep, little less than half a gallon everyday.

Drift Monkey
I've been seeing aquariums to upgrade. I really like the Mr. Aqua 12 gallon and also ADA 60-F designs. They would go perfectly on the kitchen counter. I really want to just stick to one aquarium instead of having 2 like I do right now. Err, decisions, decisions.

Get off my jock pj! :P

Wow, is that something I should plan on for my 5.5pico once the cycle is over?

Depends on the nutrient load, and inhabitants. The less food you put in the tank, the less likely you will need to do frequent water changes, but it also might mean you will need to supplement the tank with elements that are used up.

Get off my jock pj! :P

lol

Seriously though, I'll probably be in Houston at the end of the month...gotta stop by ADG for a pickup. ;)

So you are upgrading your pico? Or is it going to be a second tank?

Drift Monkey
So you are upgrading your pico? Or is it going to be a second tank?

Second tank...I don't think I have the heart to shut the pico down...

Second tank...I don't think I have the heart to shut the pico down...

Yea same here. Life for me is starting to get really busy and I actually might need to get rid of some of the corals like the sun coral which requires manual feeding. It is not happy, because I haven't been feeding it regularly.

Drift Monkey
Yea same here. Life for me is starting to get really busy and I actually might need to get rid of some of the corals like the sun coral which requires manual feeding. It is not happy, because I haven't been feeding it regularly.

Well, that's exactly why I wouldn't get anything that requires spot feeding at the moment...trying to keep it low maintenance...

This Thursday receiving new food, Fauna Marin LPS pellets. Hope they make my sad sun coral and candy canes brighten up a little bit.

Drift Monkey
This Thursday receiving new food, Fauna Marin LPS pellets. Hope they make my sad sun coral and candy canes brighten up a little bit.

My candy canes have been bulldozed into the sand by the same ceirth twice...they aren't too happy about it. I need to glue 'em down! -_-

My candy canes have been bulldozed into the sand by the same ceirth twice...they aren't too happy about it. I need to glue 'em down! -_-

lol, my candy canes seem to be really pissed, and every time I feed them fauna marin pellets they are spitting them out after like 5 hours. I just hope they don't fade away.

Today, I fragged a palm size piece of GSP. I was wondering if I should sell it?...hmm. Also, I have a bunch of chaeto that is starting to gather up in my shrimp tank. My little pico seems like a garden, constantly pruning.

Drift Monkey
lol, my candy canes seem to be really pissed, and every time I feed them fauna marin pellets they are spitting them out after like 5 hours. I just hope they don't fade away.

Today, I fragged a palm size piece of GSP. I was wondering if I should sell it?...hmm. Also, I have a bunch of chaeto that is starting to gather up in my shrimp tank. My little pico seems like a garden, constantly pruning.

I know exactly what you mean! Mine sometimes just hold it in their mouths for a bit and then end up spitting them out a bit later...I don't get it...:huh: I hope mine make it as well (got bulldozed again tonight).

Maybe frag out some chaeto and sell it for cheap...and send me some chaeto! :D

WillWork4Frags

I'm in desperate need of chaeto. Do you want to sell?

Maybe frag out some chaeto and sell it for cheap...and send me some chaeto! :D

I'm in desperate need of chaeto. Do you want to sell?

Why not, give me until next week because then I'll be done with tests. Just to remind you guys I do have flatworms but will be willing to treat the chaeto with Coral Rx before sending it out. Also, I'll include quite a bit of chaeto just because you guys are my first buyers.

WillWork4Frags
Why not, give me until next week because then I'll be done with tests. Just to remind you guys I do have flatworms but will be willing to treat the chaeto with Coral Rx before sending it out. Also, I'll include quite a bit of chaeto just because you guys are my first buyers.

Thanks bud, if you don't mind just me a pm when you're ready. =)

Love your tank btw, best picotope on NR. Shhhh don't tell el fab.

Ted

el fabuloso
Love your tank btw, best picotope on NR. Shhhh don't tell el fab.

:(

Actually I agree with you. :happy:

Archived