Coral Vue Hydros

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

Thanks y'all. My tank has taken quite a beating this past month and a half. The sun coral is really upset and I need to start feeding it again. Some algae took over the monti and blasto so I will be removing those once I find a replacement. Everything else is thriving. I have fragged so many times that my back up tank is already full. So here is a FTS.

DSCF4351.JPG

DSCF4367.JPG

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
parishilton

Are those flatworms on the bottom of the front panel? I am also having the same problem. Do you have any plan to deal with?

people will keep saying it doesn't work but flatworm exit really works wonderful. Used it many times on several tanks. You just have to double or triple dose.

Yep those are flatworms, I was planning on upgrading and during the upgrade treat each piece separately. But upgrade has been put on hold, so I have been siphoning them out every so often.

Flatworms are annoying. They are ugly little creatures too. I have some, not as many as you lol, but i just siphon as many out during water changes. I'm hoping they will just diminish after awhile like they have for some people. The tank as always looks great though.

Once again flatworm exit is an excellent product with no ill effects. Anyone who has problems is not removing as many as possible before and after the treatment and not doing a water change.

I have some in my frag tank right now, it's not at infestation level yet so I'm just going to double dose and do a water change.

Formula462

Flatworm exit can cause mucho ill effects! If you have a bad enough infestation it can cause insane ammonia spiking when the little bastards start dying off.

Flatworm exit can cause mucho ill effects! If you have a bad enough infestation it can cause insane ammonia spiking when the little bastards start dying off.

If you don't siphon sure, but if you get rid of some before, and some after and do a water change you're fine.

I'd go as far as to say it's the best pest removal stuff on the market unlike say joe's juice or aiptasia x, this stuff works 100% as long as you OD it.

Yea flatworm exit works but I don't think I would use it in my pico which is so densely packed. I remember reading in el fab pico thread that he didn't have a great experience with flatworm exit in his pico. So currently I will just manage the flatworms.

• 2 weeks later...

The pico is looking better! Some things I changed, first syphoned thousands of flatworms, cleaned the glass, moved the blue zoas' a bit, got a new piece of monti, fragged some more GPS and removed algae. Also, lowering the temp to 78.5 with a fan is helping everything. Pics soon.

Well I took just one photo...lol. A FTS. The sun coral is making progress but it is going to be a long recovery process. Everything else is doing great even the flaming scallop. Lowering the temp 2 degrees has made everything happier. Here is a photo, enjoy. Any comments are always welcome.

DSCF4369.JPG

looks cool still. whose tube is that right under the living monti? did you get a new fan worm?

Yep, got another one. The old one is the one under the monti, and just didn't come out during picture time.

hows the sea cucumbering coming along lol? can we get a roll call of all the non-coral inverts and verts in this tank?

bwoodward0012

even with the problems your tank still looks amazing. between you and rehype i cant decide if i like the full look or beauty in simplicity.

lowering my temp from a normal range of 79-81 to a range of 77-78 has made a huge difference in my coral health as well (in my 40 breeder), but i also started to do weekly (instead of monthly) waterchanges as well. either way, both seem to be working, so keep it up and reap the rewards.

bwoodward0012, thanks

hows the sea cucumbering coming along lol? can we get a roll call of all the non-coral inverts and verts in this tank?

I have now 5 cucumbers, 2 of them split. I updated the list in my first post.

you forgot to list the flame scallop ;)

Thanks for the reminder, totally didn't see that. The flame scallop is still in the same spot, doing great, hard to see him completely, but o well, if it is happy then I'm happy :) .

So one of the things that has made everything stabilize again is a fan running to cool the pico down. I believe the heat was causing some problems.

Update on the pom pom, so I thought it would be impossible for the pom pom crabs to hide in my 3 gallon pico but apparently they are able to do a good job at it. So far I've only seen them once, and somehow one of them found a tiny aptasia and has decided to use it as a pom pom. Hopefully they start coming out more.

el fabuloso
So far I've only seen them once, and somehow one of them found a tiny aptasia and has decided to use it as a pom pom.

LOL

So one of the things that has made everything stabilize again is a fan running to cool the pico down. I believe the heat was causing some problems.

Update on the pom pom, so I thought it would be impossible for the pom pom crabs to hide in my 3 gallon pico but apparently they are able to do a good job at it. So far I've only seen them once, and somehow one of them found a tiny aptasia and has decided to use it as a pom pom. Hopefully they start coming out more.

I rarely see mine. About monthly and that one time is usually the middle of the night, or if he's REALLY hungry he will come out and grab food. He hides so much I worry his pom pom's don't get enough light.

I rarely see mine. About monthly and that one time is usually the middle of the night, or if he's REALLY hungry he will come out and grab food. He hides so much I worry his pom pom's don't get enough light.

Err, and your pico is 2 gallons. Guess it is going to be like a treasure hunt to find them.

Archived