SaltCritters.com

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

Have you all thought about raising your rock so it's on "high heels" and water circulates below it? It won't work for me because my rock is too big and would be emersed, but at least 2 places suggested doing this (a Jake Adams article, and the GARF folks).

you mean like propping it up above the sand with something thin?

Hmm, aesthetically I think I wouldn't be able to handle it. But functionally it would be great.

I feel like in pico's without a sump it is always a battle to make something aesthetically pleasing while maintaining functionality.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes I've been thinking about removing the AC70 off mine because of all the noise, but that would lead me to put everything into the display (heater, thermometer) and i dont even know how i would put the iceprobe chiller in the display...So I'm probably not going to remove the fuge off my tank lol.

you mean like propping it up above the sand with something thin?

Jake used frag plugs live rock high heels by an obscure designer named Frank P. Lugs to raise his rock. The GARF folks make their artificial rocks shaped so that only a few points touch the sand and water flows beneath.

PJ, where are those bright blue zoanthids?

On the recent photo they are covered by the extension of other polyps. I decided to clean up the front. The mother colony has 180+ polyps. Here are some photos to show you the growth. I will post a new photo of the tank in a few weeks once everything is healed.

DSCF3735.JPG

DSCF3978.JPG

DSCF4223.JPG

DSCF4369.JPG

On the last photo you can see I rotated the colony so the long part goes from back to front so it appears it is smaller.

man that substrate is way cleaner than I thought. tank looks sharp, I let mine get 10x dirtier than that. you have high standards for cleanliness lol

What are these little blue corals in this old pic?

Blue clove polyps (snowflake coral). Currently they are in the lower left side of the tank. Have spread a little bit.

thanks, none of the ones I've seen at LFS or online are this blue.

Edit, I'm on page 11 of your thread. so much info! wonderful to read it all.

The dual current satellite fixture does wonders, I'm yet to find something that produces the colors that this PC fixture does.

would you say that the current satellite fixture, or current PC fixtures produce the perfect light to highlight blue corals?

i'm interested in finding the perfect light for my future tank that will have only blue colored coral lol.

would you say that the current satellite fixture, or current PC fixtures produce the perfect light to highlight blue corals?

i'm interested in finding the perfect light for my future tank that will have only blue colored coral lol.

and blue stars? :)

I really like the blue it produces. I'm thinking about selling the Satellite current fixture.

Unfortunately I will be looking for one much later down the road, and also for a fixture that's for a big 20gal+ tank.

but its good to know that these are great for blue coral.

Solved the excess detritus problem. I did do a 10-15 gallon change the past 2 days. I had forgotten that I did decrease the amount of water I was changing. This in turn allowed the water to remain higher than usual not allowing for the sand to be stirred by the AC70. I have increased the amount of water removed and the detritus is disappearing.

Also, I added an anemone shrimp, Periclimenes holthuisi. It is a beautiful shrimp that is extremely curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleaned up tank, removed several corals. It has much more room and the detritus is clearing up. Got a dendro which is really nice. I might be upgrading lighting this time around. Let me know how you all like the look of the tank.

DSCF4510.JPG

DSCF4512.JPG

DSCF4521.JPG

DSCF4516.JPG

that little shop of horrors venus flytrap of a coral wants you to feed it shredded up mysis 3x per day then it will reproduce little fifty dollar heads and you w get rich!!

that little shop of horrors venus flytrap of a coral wants you to feed it shredded up mysis 3x per day then it will reproduce little fifty dollar heads and you w get rich!!

That would be nice.

my lfs had them a while back for right at 49 a head. it took about 8 mos to grow a side dendro sprouting from the base but they can really earn money when matured

my lfs had them a while back for right at 49 a head. it took about 8 mos to grow a side dendro sprouting from the base but they can really earn money when matured

I got one because prices are dropping. So far it eats and eats. Seems to never get full. Its definitely an amazing looking coral. I hope I can make it sprout another head in a month or so.

I decided to remove the sun coral. It was declining and am going to try to bring it back to health. Currently it is being housed in a 2.5gallon quarantine tank. I'm starting to make a lot more room in the pico for other corals I'm interested in trying.

Archived