SaltCritters.com

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

thadscottmoore

thank you for the photo and the write up! that really did help a lot! I just need to research my RKE to determine a means to control two devices with one float switch. shouldnt be difficult.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks CarrilXXP

Some comments about the new bare bottom setup. I'm really liking being able to know how much detritus builds up and being able to clean it without causing a mini cycle. So far there has not been a con for not having sand.

Corals resilienze after a disaster amazes me. Here is a photo of a dendro coral sprouting from literally a tiny piece that remained.

DSC08866_crop.jpg

And here is the new member of the tank,

DSC08869.JPG

DSC08871.JPG

Yes, definately a nice clam. That is my goal, ATM, to get my pico's to the state where they can each have a clam thrive. Maybe for my birthday...(in November) :)

i had a feeling i would be seeing a clam in this picotope ;)

nice choice and that one looks great. tell us how it does over the months, how you attached it, whether it moved somewhere else and what not. i want to see how well that light can support a light demanding clam like this :)

have you updated your first post list recently. i see two new fish in here on the list o_o both are cool picotope choices, but you dont think two of them and all those inverts is too much? they dont seem cramped do they?

also is the flame scallop still in here, alive and well?

Thanks Castiel and MetaTank

tell us how it does over the months, how you attached it, whether it moved somewhere else and what not. i want to see how well that light can support a light demanding clam like this :)

have you updated your first post list recently. i see two new fish in here on the list o_o both are cool picotope choices, but you dont think two of them and all those inverts is too much? they dont seem cramped do they?

also is the flame scallop still in here, alive and well?

The clam began attaching a few minutes after introducing in the tank. I picked a dead monti cap skeleton for it to rest on and be mounted, for easy removal. Here is a photo where you can see the filaments attaching

DSC08886_crop.jpg

Here is an initial photo for later comparison of growth on the clam

DSC08889.JPG

The eviota goby is really small <.5 inch and the circus goby is cryptic/small (1 inch) doesn't leave the cave more than a few seconds at a time. I don't plan on adding anything else besides 1-2 small feather dusters.

The original flame scallop perished during the crash. Also all the inverts, my original goby, mushrooms, feather dusters perished. Incredibly a small red mushroom began sprouting from the rock after the crash/cycle, and all the corals on the rock survived.

you say the original flame scallop is gone, so you have a new one in here? if you dont, then one would definitely be fitting for an NPS pico. also citrus clown gobies grow to 2" or so. I've seen fairly large ones at petstores. i think one of those is good for a picotope but not more. if you get any pics of your fish, we'd be interested in seeing those as well :)

also is your light a PAR38 or PAR30? you dont have equipment listed on the first post. also what color combo is it?

you say the original flame scallop is gone, so you have a new one in here? if you dont, then one would definitely be fitting for an NPS pico. also citrus clown gobies grow to 2" or so. I've seen fairly large ones at petstores. i think one of those is good for a picotope but not more. if you get any pics of your fish, we'd be interested in seeing those as well :)

also is your light a PAR38 or PAR30? you dont have equipment listed on the first post. also what color combo is it?

Yea it is a new flame scallop.

Here are pics of both fish. It might be another type of goby then because this one is small, they sold it to me as a eviota.

DSC08927_crop.jpg

DSC08916.JPG

The light is a RapidLED par 38, I believe it has 1 warm white, 4 rb, and 2 cw

Awesome looking clam. Welcome to the pico clam club.

Thanks

And here is an rearranged FTS

DSC08923.JPG

Awesome tank. I would recommend not buying anymore Flame scallops and returning the one you have to the LFS. They belong in the ocean not our tanks. If you research the scallop you will see what I mean

Awesome tank. I would recommend not buying anymore Flame scallops and returning the one you have to the LFS. They belong in the ocean not our tanks. If you research the scallop you will see what I mean

Thanks. Thanks for the advice, I have done quite an extensive research about them before hand and know about their dismal survival rates. You should read a little bit about my tank, it is not a typical type of tank. It is built/aimed to sustain non photosynthetic animlas such as the flame scallop.

yes,i agree that pj86 has the method to keep a flame scallop longer than most people on this forum. his previous one did extremely well until that random crash took it out.

• 2 weeks later...

New photos

Top down picture, algae seems to be getting under control. The macroalgae I like are beginning to reappear and become the dominate algae in the display tank.

Top Down

DSC08941.JPG

Love it.

Make me miss my pico.

Thanks paris. Sorry to hear about your pico. Your pico was an inspiration. Im almost certain your next two tanks will be amazing.

Love your tank!

I finally setup my own 3g pico this November. You and El fab have been my inspiration.

post-72109-1327547874_thumb.jpg

I’m still using the 9W stock light. As you can see, my mushrooms are stretching and xenia bends at an uncomfortable angle seeking light. I’ve been searching for an upgrade, but the dual current and coralife aqualight have been discontinued and I’m unwilling to make the jump to LEDs. I can’t even find any 36W 12” fixtures similar to the dual current or coralife ones.

If you still have your dual current and are willing to part with it, I will gladly buy it from you at whatever you paid for it + shipping. Please my poor xenia needs light.

If not, I’m also open to any non led suggestions.

Thanks

Love your tank!

I finally setup my own 3g pico this November. You and El fab have been my inspiration.

post-72109-1327547874_thumb.jpg

I’m still using the 9W stock light. As you can see, my mushrooms are stretching and xenia bends at an uncomfortable angle seeking light. I’ve been searching for an upgrade, but the dual current and coralife aqualight have been discontinued and I’m unwilling to make the jump to LEDs. I can’t even find any 36W 12” fixtures similar to the dual current or coralife ones.

If you still have your dual current and are willing to part with it, I will gladly buy it from you at whatever you paid for it + shipping. Please my poor xenia needs light.

If not, I’m also open to any non led suggestions.

you can make a pc fixture rather easily with some balsa wood, and a 10 pc bub from corallife. i used a lil set up like this on my 6gal for an few months before i decided to switch to leds.

Thanks

pirate20 will be receiving my old light. Hope you like it, by far I haven't found any other fixture that brings out colors such as that fixture.

Archived