Top Shelf Aquatics

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

Hey PJ.. your flow is only from your AC 70? How much flow are you letting through... i would love to up boost in my picotope but the way the water flows it would be on edge of blasting my corals everywhere. I have it set at the minimum with the tab cut off

Currently, all the flow comes from the AC 70 at full strength. At the beginning it was more like 50% without the tab cut off. Once the chaeto grew it greatly reduced the strength of the flow and I increased it to full strength.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just for fun, I tested my water today after not testing it for about half a year. I used API testing solutions.

pH: 8.0-8.2

Nitrate: 0 ppm

Phosphates: 0 ppm

dKH: 8

Calcium: Not tested (usually around ~500)

So I went with the suggestions and fragged the GSP and zoa's that were growing on the glass. Pictures will come after the recovery. Then FWE will finalize the major things I had to do with this tank. I'm really aiming this year to be featured in TOTM. In October this tank will be 1 year old, I cant believe how time flies by.

hey hey

Are you are still using the Current Duel 18wx2 lights?

if so are they still available if not have any suggestions on a substitute?

hey hey

Are you are still using the Current Duel 18wx2 lights?

if so are they still available if not have any suggestions on a substitute?

Yes, still using it. They are discontinued. I saw not long ago a person offering one on the hardware thread. For substitutes I would probably go with a LED fixture.

the current fixture must have something special in it, because i didnt get this type of growth from my pico even when i used the current bulbs in that coralife fixture in the above post. I wouldn't get that coralife btw, its gets too hot. how hot is the current fixture, pj?

You can try your luck and see if this is still available http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...llite&st=20

how hot is the current fixture, pj?

It gets a little hot but nothing compared to a MH or T5. With a small fan that is hooked up to the back of the tank, the temperature can be brought down from 79 to 78 in about 10 minutes. The light combination is nice and might be a factor in the good growth of my corals. Also remember that the tank gets fed 13-14 times a day, which many would think is crazy but so far it works.

hey, anything that keeps up this coral health/density for one year without crashes is a great method indeed! haha.

i cant agree more looks like you have found the right combo and was omw to mimic it but looks like i have hit a bump

i cant agree more looks like you have found the right combo and was omw to mimic it but looks like i have hit a bump

What bump have you hit?

wow~~~what's happen to your sun coral?

Combination of things but most likely no spot feeding mysis. It's on the road to recovery, at one point it looked worse.

Also remember that the tank gets fed 13-14 times a day, which many would think is crazy but so far it works.

You've probably explained your system previously in this thread, but I didn't see the post

How do maintain good water quality with your heavy feeding?

• 2 weeks later...
Combination of things but most likely no spot feeding mysis. It's on the road to recovery, at one point it looked worse.

Good luck to you. I bought a frag last time came with very poor condition. I tried to safe this little guy from my LFS who treated them badly without any feeding and considered them as NORMAL PHOTOSYNTHESIS CORAL! Damn it. But one good thing was they thought that was cheap and sold it to me at $3. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And now they has been recovered. God bless them. :lol:

You've probably explained your system previously in this thread, but I didn't see the post

How do maintain good water quality with your heavy feeding?

Sorry yoshi for the slow response. I was really busy and also had the TOTM article to write. I hope the article informs you about the system.

Thanks Akiowalt and castiel

Congrats on TOTM pj. I have followed your tank since the beginning and I knew you'd get it sooner or later. It's nice to see a fellow 3gal pico reefer win.

Congrats on totm i knew your tank was going to be amazing someday that why i posted first on this thread just didny expect it to be this soon. Amazing work pj86 B)

Archived