Cultivated Reef

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and your other tank is not even hooked up there?

Nope, my other tank only takes up 4 outlets. It doesn't even have an ATO but it is the easiest to care for, literally it is just a dumpster created from this pico.

Drift Monkey
Nope, my other tank only takes up 4 outlets. It doesn't even have an ATO but it is the easiest to care for, literally it is just a dumpster created from this pico.

You probably stated this earlier, but what type of ATO are you running?

it was a DIY, just a float switch connected to a extension which hooked up to an aqualifter. Now it is hooked up to my controller.

Drift Monkey
it was a DIY, just a float switch connected to a extension which hooked up to an aqualifter. Now it is hooked up to my controller.

How big is the switch? I don't even see it in your tank (which is good)!

I really, REALLY like this tank.

Thanks

How big is the switch? I don't even see it in your tank (which is good)!

It is the regular size switch. It is right behind the hanging sun coral. You can see it better in this old pic.

DSCF3669.JPG

Holy wire city, Batman! What are all those cords for?

Here is the list el fab

Outlets

1. Actinic

2. Day light

3. Fuge light

4. Heater

5. Aqualifter #1 (ATO)

6. Aqualifter #2 (Surface Skimmer)

7. Aqualifter #3 (Water Change)

8. Airpump (pressurize feeding vile)

9. Wine chiller

10. Water pump (mixing salt)

11. Heater for water change

12. AC70

Connections

1. Float Switch

2. Thermometer

3. Apex lite monitor

4. I/O breakout box

Not to bad...lol

el fabuloso

I'm guessing the wine chiller has nothing to do with the tank. Now explain to me what all these aqualifters do. You lost me.

I'm guessing the wine chiller has nothing to do with the tank. Now explain to me what all these aqualifters do. You lost me.

The wine chiller is actually part of the automatic feeding system, although it will come in handy when I need to chill my wine...lol. Here is the thread I made for the DIY feeder http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=268468 .

Aqualifter #1 is used as an ATO, which is hooked up to the apex. The apex has a float switch attached to it.

Aqualifter #2 has a tube that is right on the surface of the water and the exit tube is at the back where the filter floss is at in the AC 70. It really does a nice job of skimming the surface. It stays on for 40 minutes and stays off for 20 minutes cycles.

Aqualifter #3 is still semi-automatic. I have a tube that is a certain length that goes into the tank so that I can remove the same amount of water every single time. I turn it on when I do a water change.

I can always post a video.

beat me to it...lol

el fabuloso

Show off. <_<

My pico had a heater, an AC70, a Rio90 PH, actinic, daylight and moonlight LEDs, and an air-driven ATO attached to a frayed extension cord that was probably a fire hazard. My setup pretty much looked liked something you'd find on There, I Fixed It. B)

Show off. <_<

My pico had a heater, an AC70, a Rio90 PH, actinic, daylight and moonlight LEDs, and an air-driven ATO attached to a frayed extension cord that was probably a fire hazard. My setup pretty much looked liked something you'd find on There, I Fixed It. B)

lol...wish I had more time, because that way I wouldn't have had to automate this system or any of my hobbies. Med school = no life.

Drift Monkey
It is the regular size switch. It is right behind the hanging sun coral. You can see it better in this old pic.

DSCF3669.JPG

What did you use for a snail guard?

What did you use for a snail guard?

I used an old vile that I got from a college class I had taken. I believe el fab used the tube that putty comes in.

Drift Monkey
Tonight I will try to connect my Apex lite to the internet. It will become ALIVE!!!!

Are you gonna make it so we can feed your tank remotely and watch it via webcam? :lol:

I was so dumb today. I tried to insert a miniature water pump in the tank. Let just say nothing else fits in this tank. I just ended up getting everything pissed and pretty much moved everything. Although, I think by moving some stuff, I have made room for a few more things...lol.

Drift Monkey
I was so dumb today. I tried to insert a miniature water pump in the tank. Let just say nothing else fits in this tank. I just ended up getting everything pissed and pretty much moved everything. Although, I think by moving some stuff, I have made room for a few more things...lol.

I hate when I go to move crap around in my tank and I end up screwing pretty much the whole layout up. I did the same thing yesterday trying to reposition the GSP rock I have that kept falling down...<_<

Everything seems to be okay now. But I do think i did move the whole setup. Also for some odd reason ,I think actually it was like this before and some how it had shifted over the past few months. On another note, I order some LPS fauna marin food, because I have gotten tired of frozen mysis.

Drift Monkey

I'm trying to find some cyclop-eeze myself...I've found regular frozen "cyclops" and mysis (random brands like San Francisco Bay, etc) are those ok? I've just been feeding crushed shrimp pellets to everything, so I figured I ask the man that feeds 12 times a day! :lol:

Are you gonna make it so we can feed your tank remotely and watch it via webcam? :lol:

I'm trying to find some cyclop-eeze myself...I've found regular frozen "cyclops" and mysis (random brands like San Francisco Bay, etc) are those ok? I've just been feeding crushed shrimp pellets to everything, so I figured I ask the man that feeds 12 times a day! :lol:

Some people actually feed shrimp/fish pellets to corals, but I have heard that it might be to hard on their digestive system due to the nutrients and preparations of the pellets. It is universal that mysis is the most used food for LPS. So you can't go wrong with mysis. Cyclops is small compared to mysis and can get a little bit more messy. I'm just trying out this fauna marin pellets for LPS, it is a little pricey but I heard really good reviews about it. Variety is key for the health of any animal.

Archived