Pod Your Reef

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today I pushed the trigger for the apex lite! Can't wait to make this system fully automatic, so excited. I decided to go with the apex lite because of its functionalities and high resale value. I haven't seen a used one go for less than 10-15% retail value. Also, I feel like I can use the apex lite for other hobbies that I currently can't do due to time.

The automatic feeding system is pretty much done. Only thing that I'm waiting for is the apex lite to put it on a timer. Lots of photos will be posted this upcoming week.

So I took a picture, before I frag stuff out of the tank. It just amazes me how different lifeforms just appear from no where. I had 3 cool macroalgae appear in the past month. At the bottom left you can see C. peltata, its leaves look like little cups. You can also see 2 types of red Halymenia sp one on the lower right hand corner and the other on top left had corner. Tank is starting to look really mature. Enjoy.

DSCF4299.JPG

DSCF4300.JPG

wow that's filled in nicely! nice shots!

Thanks for the compliment. Feels like my thread is moving slow this past month...lol. Maybe I should do something drastic and shocking to this tank...

Thanks for the compliment. Feels like my thread is moving slow this past month...lol. Maybe I should do something drastic and shocking to this tank...

You can frag everything and send it me lol :D that would be drastic

Agreed! Frags! Especially for those of us starting out. I ca not believe how much you have in your Pico. So jealious...

All in time I suppose.

how about a school of red spot cardinals?

You are tank is pretty complete. IMO there is not much more you need to do other then keep it alive for many many years.

The free shipping would be shocking, good one.

how about a school of red spot cardinals?

You are tank is pretty complete. IMO there is not much more you need to do other then keep it alive for many many years.

Hmm, does this mean another tank?

Builder Anthony

I was wondering about those small red feather dusters you have.

Have you been seeing them grow at all?

Could you explain any habbits or growth rates on those and the bigger ones you have.

How long have you had them and what i would need to know about them.I would like some but i am hesitant.

Builder Anthony, the small red feather dusters have a hard tube and are very similar to the larger coco worms. I purchased it 4 months ago. I have seen their tube grow, break and grow. Although I want them to spawn, I haven't seen much reproduction. I hope my patience will pay off in the near future.

The coco worm has been in my aquarium 5 months. I have also seen its tube grow, break and grow back. I also noticed that anything that causes shadows above the worm may actually cause it to not come out. I had a Xenia grow right above the worm and the worm didn't come out for 2 weeks until I relocated it.

The Hawaiian feather duster is the oldest of the feather dusters in my aquarium, 6 months. This one I have seen decrease in size, lose its crown, regrow its crown and has created a larger tube now. I learned that to much laminar flow can cause the feather duster to lose its crown.

I think my success with these filters feeders is the heavy microscopic feeding I do to the tank. A mix of phyto-feast, roti-feast, oyster feast, Min D are feed about 10-12 times a day.

Hope this helps.

Archived