inTank Media Baskets

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Microscope, they have been growing. You can clearly see the extension of the polyps and a little bit of the encrusting on the live rock, but still relatively small compared to a full grown polyp. I haven't been really spot feeding them, and might begin adding newly hatched bbs to the feeding list to give them more of a chance of catching food that they will be able to digest.

So this macroalgae which I believe is a Nemastoma, has been growing little by little. I hope it really becomes a nice specimen size. The photo does it no justice, it glows under actinics and also has really nice coloration under daylight/actinic lighting. On my upcoming posts, I will post photos of my microfauna. So here is my most interesting macroalgae.

DSCF4209_crop.jpg

Spionid worms, pretty cool little critters to watch because they take larger bits of food that can't go through their tubes. There are a few dozen of them in my tank.

So carried out my first fragging a few minutes ago. Decided to frag part of the the xenia and put those in the 2.5 pico because they started shading the monti and some corals that are in the lower portion of the tank.

jdl, yea it is cranked all the way up. No other circulation in there. I don't have many SPS, and there is good circulation all around except in one little spot.

Very, very sad day today. Found male sexy dried up outside the tank. I have a feeling it was the goby who has been really aggressive lately even with the corals. The female is carrying the last clutch of eggs from him. Gonna really really try to save this clutch.

It is in on the get list, but they seem to be harder to come by, the ones that are cut to fit the 3 gallon picotope.

On a brighter note, today I went to my LFS. They still had the emperor shrimp and I asked how much for it because they have been trying to get rid of it since about a month a half now. They told me $20, originally priced at $65. I just had to get it. So right now he is in my picotope. When he was in the picotope he went directly for the xenia, it was love at first sight for the emperor shrimp. I will post some photos tomorrow.

Everything is running smoothly. I've added baby brine shrimp to the diet of the tank. At this point I feel like people would shreek at the amount of food I give daily.

harder to come by? come by a glass/mirror shop and you'll get one...lol

also they would shriek at the amount of animals youre holding in 2.5 gals of water :lol:. emperor shrimp is something I'm not familiar with, can we get some pics of him? hows he doin?

Very nice tank... sorry to hear about the shrimp. Maybe he got claustrophobic? :)

Give me a shout if you need a lid, I don't do the glass, only acrylic.

Steve

Newman, here is a video of the emperor shrimp eating a Hikari A pellet (

) I wonder why people haven't given this species a harder try at marketing and breeding, they are such a beautiful eye catching shrimp.

There is a flatworm there, population has been stable with the flatworms and seems to go up and down as the population of stomatellas go down and up. So no need for flatworm exit anytime soon.

I would believe that acrylic does warp, but dependent on thickness and size. I wouldn't worry to much of warping in a 3 gallon lid.

Glazer I will send you a picture of what type of design I would like, so you can give me a price estimate.

its way cheaper to just catch the shrimp that spend tons of money to delicately breed something like the emperors and harlequins. heck i dont think any sexy shrimp that are sold in masse are bred, everything is still wild caught?

Oh and about the flat worms, as long as they arent the coral eating red ones, you're ok. I have some too in my pico, they keep a stable population like yours. they are simple deposit and algae grazers, i doubt they harm out tanks in any way.

its way cheaper to just catch the shrimp that spend tons of money to delicately breed something like the emperors and harlequins. heck i dont think any sexy shrimp that are sold in masse are bred, everything is still wild caught?

For the price of sexy shrimp it's very hard to make any kind of profit selling captive bred. Sure some people will pay more, but 10x more people will pay less for wild caught. They are hardy and cheap. Look at peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp those could be captive bred too but their low costs make it hard for someone to put in the effort. I'm guessing sexy shrimp are 1-2$ wholesale or not much more.

Funktastic Wint

hows that emperor doin?

i heard they host turbo snails and cucumbers.

i also know there is very little success in keeping these long term so i would be interested in how long it lives. is it eating?

andrewkw, very true about collection. I'm actually for more restrictions even though that most likely will cause prices to increase, but at the same time it will cause people to really try to breed these animals.

Funktastic wink, yea it is eating, in the video you can see it eating pellets. My LFS as had it for almost 2 months, so I believe it has the potential of surviving for quite a while, at least that is what I hope.

Archived