Pod Your Reef

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

This tank has been just growing and growing. Haven't done much to it. I did remove the kenya tree and left behind a small frag that it had dropped on one of the rocks. I also added a chilli coral. One of my yellow cucumbers has divided and now I have 4 of them in the tank. The flatworms are staying at a manageable level so far, and am not to concern. Here are some photos of the entire tank. Suggestions/Comments are always welcomed.

DSCF4269.JPG

DSCF4271.JPG

DSCF4284.JPG

DSCF4281.JPG

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheapreef27

This tank is the coolest one I have seen since el fabs old one, and has that same jam packed feeling. This is an example of what we all strive for.

PJ!! You are violating one of the sacred Rules of the Universe, which states that the girlz - and by extension their tanks - are supposed to be prettier than the boyz! :angry:

I've been studying your feeding routine; the whole model -- constant delivery of tiny amounts, food kept in sterile top-off water until needed (I presume this keeps it fresher), intank filter feeders + extralarge algae-eating crew, daily partial WCs (did I miss anything?) -- is intriguing and obviously successful.

How are you measuring out a tenth of a ml of food? My eyedroppers only have whole ml marks, lol.

Gena, no crazy growth on the mushrooms. They have split several times and constantly compete for the same spots in the aquarium. The competition keeps them in check.

PinkDamsel, lol.

About the feeding, I no longer feed with the the top off. I do it manually every 2-3 hours. I measure using a 10 ml vile. Mix all the liquid food together and dilute to the concentration that I will be using through the week. Then I use a separate 10 ml vile to dilute it even further for daily usage, the measurement are very rough measurements and probably have up to a 10% error.

I'm in the middle of constructing a DIY thermal insulated dosing container that will eliminate the manual feeding, and only require me to refill the feeding vile every day.

I think the most important part of the system is the daily water changes. You will be able to maintain higher feeding with daily water changes.

I will post a more detailed write up of my tank in a few days.

So, 2 months ago I decided to take a unwanted Acan from my LFS pretty much almost for free. It was in pretty bad condition but I saw that it still had some life in it. It's currently in my 2.5 gallon pico which I use for just extra corals that overgrow in my 3 gallon pico. Here are some photos of before and after taken with flash. It has some greens and reds that are not seen due to the flash.

IMG_0111.JPG

IMG_0237.JPG

Builder Anthony

I like the color of it.I am currently in the same position as i have a yuma that is all bleached for 20 bucks.Could you go on about how it recovered.

Builder Anthony, I went about feeding it mysis every day to every other day for about 3 weeks. Then after the 3 weeks I switched to twice a week. Now I just occasionally feed it and also global feed the tank, phyto, oyster feast, roti feast, and min F.

Thanks alfiefive.

So my next upgrade is almost completed, automated feeding!!! I have already tested manually my DIY feeding system and believe that it might actually work. I have ordered a wine chiller to keep the food cold and a timer that will allow me to program it to the minute. Once those arrive I will post a thread about my pico feeding system. I'm pretty excited as this will take the tedious task of feeding 10+ times the tank.

Mini-Dude, more pics will come soon.

So I received all the stuff, but there is one problem. The timer is not what I'm looking for. I need a timer that is programmable to the minute and is able to take at least 10-15 on off cycles. I can get a controller to resolve the issue, any other ideas that are slightly cheaper?

if you are computer savvy, an arduino controller is just want you want. goog it, I have no idea how it works or Id be using one to drive my remote control cars off the internet from my laptop to break range records. they use arduino in hobby level aerial drone RC, the module + easy software to write will control anything at any time. its a doozy!!!!

I was wondering if you could comment on the frag/polyp colyny in the forward-upper-left corner of your tank. What is that and how did you mount it?

Thanks!

Arduino sounds really nice, but would be lying to myself saying that I will have time to program stuff. So, I think my next purchase is a apex lite. Also, I think with the apex I can pick up my other hobbies again that require constant monitoring and feeding.

alfiefive, the colony is a sun coral. It is just hanging from the light fixture. I believe you can see it on page 8. I have it this way because there is no other way it can fit in the tank, and it also makes feeding it extremely easy.

Archived