Top Shelf Aquatics

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

Well if you guys can't find your pom-poms in a 2 and 3g tank, maybe I shouldn't get one for my 10g :lol:

How long have you had the flame scallop btw?

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if you guys can't find your pom-poms in a 2 and 3g tank, maybe I shouldn't get one for my 10g :lol:

How long have you had the flame scallop btw?

The female pom pom came out today finally. I have had the flame scallop ~7 months beginning July.

When I first got the Pom Pom I'd see him about weekly. He would spend a good 10 minutes a week out on the open. Now never. Only if really hungry he will come out grab the food and get back to the rock.

I never saw my porcelain crab either. By the time I found out he was dead his shell and everything was gone.

It is possible the small space is making them hide. Even my Goby seems to be hiding more now then when I first got him which again could be a side effect of the small space. My pico is also a much smaller footprint then pj's.

Hmm you'd think with the small space they'd come out more

I saw my porcelain crab 3 times, one when I put it in the tank, two when I saw a part of it's claw in a cave, and the last time when I found it's shell under a rock :(

PinkDamsel

My pom pom hides in the rock during the day, then about an hour after lights-out emerges and goes walkabout.

Occasionally he'll chose a spot in the front to cling to during the day. Favorites are little overhangs in the rock that form a small convex area he likes to snuggle into, anchoring himself with the back pair of legs. Another is under the candycane; he likes to grasp the "trunks" with his back legs, maybe they're the right size. Then it's like he's at the beach under a bunch of umbrellas, lol.

During walkabout he sidles along keeping his back touching something - rock, corals, tank glass. He'll cross the open and even climb on a rocklet or coral very briefly, never staying exposed for long.

PJ, how can you tell the male from the female when she has no eggs? I'm still trying to figure out if Nestlé is a boy or a girl.

a male crab will have a thin and pointy abdomen tucked under his body and a female's abdomen is more broad.

PinkDamsel
a male crab will have a thin and pointy abdomen tucked under his body and a female's abdomen is more broad.

Nestlé is definitely not thin and pointy - so she's a girl! I feel like a proud parent, lol. :)

Do you know of any pictures that show the abdomen, especially the male?

• 1 month later...

Wow, it's been so long since I added anything to this thread. I'm sorry PinkDamsel for not answering your questions. Thanks Newman for answering questions posted here.

I had lots to do this summer, and it appears the aquarium enjoyed being left alone. I have not really added anything besides the pom pom crabs and 2 emerald crabs. Emerald crabs took care in eatings lots of the algae. Also I let some caulerpa peltata grow and let the chaeto grow wild without any trimming for a month and a half. I think I trimmed to hard at the beginning of the summer and that is what caused all the havoc in my tank. I will be uploading a video compiling everything in my tank in a week or so.

Also, the flatworms that are in my tank have periods of growth and periods of decay, I consistently remove them every week or so. So far they haven't been much trouble.

Here are some updated FTS, enjoy and like always comments are always appreciated

DSCF4395.JPG

DSCF4384.JPG

DSCF4392.JPG

looks fantastic. just frag up those zoas and GSP at the front, let heal, and it will be the best its ever been :) TOTM after that (if it hasnt been already)

simplyjessi

This look GORGEOUS! I love it. :).

And sorry for the totally n00b question - but what is the green coral on the left of the photo? I lurves it.

This look GORGEOUS! I love it. :).

And sorry for the totally n00b question - but what is the green coral on the left of the photo? I lurves it.

thats green start polyps

and that is a fantastic little tank

Your tank is a real inspiration. I envy your lush growth. I'm starting to emulate your feeding to try & get more growth; just 1 or 2 drops each food at a time, working up to every day (had been feeding a large amount only once/wk).

how often do you do water changes in your tank? how much??

how often do you feed fish and corals??

what do you currently have in your filter?

how long do you keep your lights on?

thanks

your tank looks amazing!

how often do you do water changes in your tank? how much??

Every day, about 2 quarts and a half. I use to do it manually but now an aquacontroller does the water change

how often do you feed fish and corals??

The fish gets fed every morning. The corals get fed a combination of foods through an automatic feeder (10 times a day for liquid foods) and larger food is given about every 2 weeks.

what do you currently have in your filter?

Chemipure elite, filter floss, and chaeto

how long do you keep your lights on?

Actinic from 8am-10pm and daylights 9am-9pm

thanks

your tank looks amazing!

Thanks

Thanks PinkDamsel

So for my 10 month tank anniversary I decided to pick up some SPS. 2 small frags to try accomplish once again a full mixed reef. Video is coming along, only searching for my pom pom, after that it will be ready.

looks fantastic. just frag up those zoas and GSP at the front, let heal, and it will be the best its ever been :) TOTM after that (if it hasnt been already)

this :)

Great tank!

Thanks yoshii!!!

So I decided I cant wait for my pom pom crabs and decided to just finalize the video. Well here it is, enjoy

Hey PJ.. your flow is only from your AC 70? How much flow are you letting through... i would love to up boost in my picotope but the way the water flows it would be on edge of blasting my corals everywhere. I have it set at the minimum with the tab cut off

Archived