Top Shelf Aquatics

My first 3g Picotope

pj86

I'm really interested in the details of your ATO and your autofeeder/doser. I'm looking at making one for my 12g. I see the parts you used... I don't really understand the wine chiller. What are the 4 Tom's for? I only see 1 in your set up. I'd like to have an autofeeder, as well.

Will post more detailed sketches by next week. Busy this week.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever see the movie Punchline? Just call it a "poop chute"! Who needs latin? :D

Good luck with your studies Pj. Look forward to having you back.

I'm actually an idiot and completely looked over your ATO/feeder thread in the search results. I see it now - though I did completely misunderstand the tubing set up you have. I get it in general, but some of the extra stuff is lost on me.

I'm highly intrigued as to how you keep the Scleronephthya fed. I've looked these up as I've been planning my tank out and it seems they are extremely hard to care for.

• 2 weeks later...

whoa. seriously? you're raising baby pom poms? are you the first one to do that? I knew people had done peps...i had no idea about pom poms and sexies though! Do you have a breeding thread?

• 3 weeks later...

Pom poms did not make it.

Med school is kicking my butt. Pico hasn't changed much. The 9 gallon tank has been growing in pretty nicely. Can't wait till I start rotations and am done with my first medical licensure exam.

congrads on school progress :)

It's good that you have a certain direction that you want to take in life.

I personally have little idea as to what specific field I want to go into after college. I do not think I will wind up in med school though lol. I guess its graduate school for me then haha.

What do you mean by the pom pom crabs not making it? you mean the babies, or your adults died?

Here they are

DSC08857.JPG

DSC08858.JPG

There is a tiny hole at the edge were the cap meets the vile that I made by heating up a needle and pearcing the vile. Make sure that this tiny hole is always above the water level of the tank, if not it will still create a syphon. Do not make the hole to large, because then the aquaclear will not have enough power to draw the water up. If you have any questions let me know,

New camera means new pictures. Currently I have a slight algae battle going on. But Im sure it will stabilize once more water changes are done. Many of the corals did survive the crash and I am restocking the tank with mainly NPS. Feel free to make suggestions or comments.

DSC08806.JPG

DSC08824.JPG

DSC08829.JPG

where did you get this drip chamber for your automatic water change?

gearhead364

do you dose the tank for the clam? Or i guess what special needs does the clam have for your tank I would like to get one for mine and im also running a Par 38

It is a DIY, you can get plastic viles through amazon. I got mine when I was taking an entomology class.

So glad to see this pico still alive and well! Clam looks great, too. :)

Thanks, great to see you back

do you dose the tank for the clam? Or i guess what special needs does the clam have for your tank I would like to get one for mine and im also running a Par 38

I dose/feed phyto, oyster, and roti feast. I have cut down quite a bit the past few months and haven't seen any decline. I have a automatic water change that changes water everyday, so I don't dose any elements. I have noticed with a par38 with 60 degrees optics a clam can stay pretty happy.

Here are a few new photos, not much has changed. The utter chaos is now my new favorite soft coral.

DSCF4587_crop.jpg

DSC09083_crop.jpg

if I ever switch to led from my 1990's pcs thats the color Id like, nice purples man.

Thanks. I noticed that the new rapidled bulbs are slightly on the purple side, and also are a slight dimmer than most PAR38 bulbs, but it still packs the same punch as any quality par38.

• 4 weeks later...

Done taking 13 exams in the past 3 weeks and a half, now I get a a day to mess around with the aquariums. Then back to studying :(

Here is a picture of the clam, it has color up quite a bit. It even has started to get an emerald color around the edges.

I'm really thinking in what direction I want to take this pico, I really want to create a really good looking SPS pico. Will see...

DSC09159.JPG

That is an awesome clam! I now have 2 clams in my pico now and they are doing awesome! I'd like to see an sps packed pico.

That is an awesome clam! I now have 2 clams in my pico now and they are doing awesome! I'd like to see an sps packed pico.

Thanks. How is the calcium holding up with 2 clams in a pico? It is cool that you have 2 in a pico.

• 4 weeks later...

Sometimes unexpected things happen in life that redirects you in a different path. Gonna be soon listing things for sale.

:o

I'll buy your reef in a jar. :D

Really sorry to hear this Pj, but I assume you're moving on to bigger things. You helped me get started here so hope you'll stick around, if only to occasionally prod.

Good luck!

Jacob042426

:(

Noooooooooo!

Do you have any advice on keeping a scallop in a picotope? I found one and will try to keep it, if it doesn't do good ill just through it back.

Please don't take this tank down. :tears:

:o

I'll buy your reef in a jar. :D

Really sorry to hear this Pj, but I assume you're moving on to bigger things. You helped me get started here so hope you'll stick around, if only to occasionally prod.

Good luck!

lol, my gf carries the pico jar back and forth. By far one of her favorites things to have around.

Yea will definitely stick around. Keep at it with the breeding project, one of the most informative and entertaining threads around.

:(

Noooooooooo!

Do you have any advice on keeping a scallop in a picotope? I found one and will try to keep it, if it doesn't do good ill just through it back.

Please don't take this tank down. :tears:

Scallops were one of the tougher animals to keep. Lots of micro food and nitrate/phosphate stability. The one that lasted a little over a year was fed several times a day.

Wish I didn't have to take it down

Archived