Cultivated Reef

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

There's always something...

Acans have grown in very well and are one big bulbous group. For some reason, one of my acans started dying back leaving a gaping hole. I'm going to have to replace it, but the acans I've found don't have a skeleton tall enough to properly fill up the hole.

Q285LIZ.jpg?1

OH MAN! Is that a cnady basslet in there? If not what is it? I don't recall you ever got one.........so nice!!!

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion

OH MAN! Is that a cnady basslet in there? If not what is it? I don't recall you ever got one.........so nice!!!

He's got a pair man!

Deleted User 4

Update fts please? Mike?

Thanks

Wth, where have you been this whole time? He's had it from the very start lol.

buddythelion

Update fts please? Mike?

Thanks

Busy taking picturds.

Update fts please? Mike?

Thanks

Lol, I suffer from short and long term memory loss...... <_<

Good thing your midterm memory is top notch! So jealous of those candies. Your acans growing in look sweet!

Deleted User 4

You're kidding right?:)

Good thing your midterm memory is top notch! So jealous of those candies. Your acans growing in look sweet!

Lmao. Good one.

Kfmmartin19
All the rics are laid down, but they haven't really opened up yet. Probably a lot of light for them. I think my original rics took a week or so to fluff up. My female clown started out mercilessly last night, but then she only bit me every now and then. Now that she's big, it really hurts. I think she's broken the skin on occasion, which stings when my hand is in the water.
just punch her...that'll teach her a lesson. That's how I handle my problems; I punch them! Works approximately 85% of the time!

Oh also I would looooooove some more pics

Kfmmartin19

I feel like I've asked this before but how exactly did u make ur scape look so good? I know u used reefcleaners dry rock but did u take a hammer to it? And did u use mainly epoxy or did u use acrylic rods? Any advice if I wanted to make a similar scape for a tank?

ha ha. No punching girls here. I drilled the rock and used epoxy w/ fiberglass rods. I did break up a few pieces, but most of the pieces are their original shape.

Kfmmartin19
ha ha. No punching girls here. I drilled the rock and used epoxy w/ fiberglass rods. I did break up a few pieces, but most of the pieces are their original shape.
since I suck at drilling do u think it'd be possible to make something similar with just epoxy and glue, no rods?

If you never had to pull pieces off or move things around and the rock was light enough, then maybe. The top of the front spire is epoxy and it broke when I was fragging off the SPS after the disaster. The Zoas held it together for me to re epoxy it. On the other spires, the epoxy joints have given way in places so the rods are the only thing still holding everything together. I wouldn't risk it.

Kfmmartin19
If you never had to pull pieces off or move things around and the rock was light enough, then maybe. The top of the front spire is epoxy and it broke when I was fragging off the SPS after the disaster. The Zoas held it together for me to re epoxy it. On the other spires, the epoxy joints have given way in places so the rods are the only thing still holding everything together. I wouldn't risk it.

Darn. K, u know of any good videos or guides for doing the drilling and rods?

You assemble the rocks as a mock up to see how you liked them scaped. Then you take a 1/4 inch drill bit. Turn on the drill and make a hole in 2 rocks deep enough to epoxy or super glue down the acrylic or fiber glass rod. (I used emarco mortar but that is just me)

Martin honey if I can do it, anybody can.

Kfmmartin19
You assemble the rocks as a mock up to see how you liked them scaped. Then you take a 1/4 inch drill bit. Turn on the drill and make a hole in 2 rocks deep enough to epoxy or super glue down the acrylic or fiber glass rod. (I used emarco mortar but that is just me) Martin honey if I can do it, anybody can.
Fair enough, Kat.

lol... where there you have it!
I guess so!
eddiecorrea

In my new rockscape in my Solana I used 5/8th acrylic. Only reason it is that big is because I bent the acrylic rod to form the arch. You can click my signature to see the current picture on the last page of my thread.

Kfmmartin19
In my new rockscape in my Solana I used 5/8th acrylic. Only reason it is that big is because I bent the acrylic rod to form the arch. You can click my signature to see the current picture on the last page of my thread.
nice, is that the 34 gallon?
Kfmmartin19

Ummmm...what happened to the pics?...

Oh and also I was wonder if u could critique and idea I have. I like the controllability of an ai nano but I don't think sps color would be best with it. Do u think something along the lines of a solana 34 with an ai nano sandwiched between 4 t5 bulbs (2 on front and 2 on back) would work well for an sps reef? Just an idea I had...

eddiecorrea

nice, is that the 34 gallon?

Yup.

Ummmm...what happened to the pics?... Oh and also I was wonder if u could critique and idea I have. I like the controllability of an ai nano but I don't think sps color would be best with it. Do u think something along the lines of a solana 34 with an ai nano sandwiched between 4 t5 bulbs (2 on front and 2 on back) would work well for an sps reef? Just an idea I had...

I think an AI Nano would provide fine color. My AI nanos are providing great color. I just wanna get 2 radions haha

Kfmmartin19

Yup.

I think an AI Nano would provide fine color. My AI nanos are providing great color. I just wanna get 2 radions haha

Well maybe what I'd do is get the AI Nano and see how I like it. If I think I should get the t5s I will, if not I won't. Only problem is that isn't the ai nano a little underpowered for a 34 gallon by itself? I was thinking that with t5s it'd be enough but by itself I'm not sure for sps. What do u think?

I don't want to get the full ai because if I decide that I want t5s also, i think t5s and a full ai would be overkill

I'd find a used sol blue and go that route with the 4 t5's. save a few bucks and you can turn down the AI to any intensity you need.

Kfmmartin19
I'd find a used sol blue and go that route with the 4 t5's. save a few bucks and you can turn down the AI to any intensity you need.
yeah that's probably smart idea considering the full sol is only $100 more than the nano.

So...pics of the new additions?

:) :) :)

Archived