SaltCritters.com

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

It's 24 x 24 x 24. The front light would mostly be accent. I think enough of the MH is getting to the zoas to keep them happy.

In that case, consider this:

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/10/marinel...strips-handled/

or this

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/02/hidden-...ighting-system/

You will be able to place it at the sand level beaming up at the spires, it will not shine in your eyes and you can bury the fixture itself in the sand. It is submersible.

I have the blue and this is what it does:

IMG_2617.CR2.jpg

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In that case, consider this:

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/10/marinel...strips-handled/

or this

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/02/hidden-...ighting-system/

You will be able to place it at the sand level beaming up at the spires, it will not shine in your eyes and you can bury the fixture itself in the sand. It is submersible.

I have the blue and this is what it does:

IMG_2617.CR2.jpg

My LFS has one of those submersible lights as supplement lighting in a Innovative Marine 30gal. It adds a certain crispness to the already sleek looking tank.

So here's a pic just to show where everything is at and the new lights. The lights actually look less ugly in person from my vantage point, but they still aren't anywhere as nice as any of the previous fixtures aesthetically. I'm still debating on what I want to do to light the front part of the tank.

You can see the far left pillar has been revamped from early July. It looks so unbalanced now. It should look nice when it grows back out.

I losing the green acro on the right side of the right pillar that's just above the strawberry shortcake. It has been STNing from the base up for a few days. It had been growing like crazy up until then. I hadn't checked my parameters since June or so. I checked this weekend and was shocked to see my DKH at 5.06... you're reading that right. I'm slowly upping it now. I'm going to frag the green acro right after I post this and hope for the best.

lol I actually have some hardware i need to buy. Need new dosing containers, heads for my dosing pump, a light fixture, and possibly a chiller.

I experienced the same thing with alk. I finally figured out why today. One of the head on my dosing pump somehow got misaligned, I estimate was functioning at 50% causing my alk to take a nice dive.

You should show off your strawberry shortcake acro more often so we can all drool over it. That's one sweet colony you got there.

uh huh. it is absolutely gorgeous, that picture does it no justice.

I bet... The only thing though, If I go with LEDs I'll probably do an AI Nano so I can add a true lunar cycle again.

I experienced the same thing with alk. I finally figured out why today. One of the head on my dosing pump somehow got misaligned, I estimate was functioning at 50% causing my alk to take a nice dive.

You should show off your strawberry shortcake acro more often so we can all drool over it. That's one sweet colony you got there.

I had a similar issue, but I think it's just the tubing wearing out in the head. I realized awhile back the ALK container wasn't emptying as quickly as the CAL even though they were dosing at the same rate. I'm lucky things aren't worse.

I really love the Strawberry shortcake. It has great color and absolutely loves the tank.

+1 Asureef, whenever I look at your FTS MedRed I'm always eyeing that shortcake.

ha ha

Oh my goodness your tank looks incredible! (As usual). Those two halides really do the trick :)

Thank you! The halides really do look great. I still want T5's,but I may go with LED's.

Just cause you need one more crappy little light, doesn't mean that you can't take a shiitload of up close pics for us!!!!!!

As you know, this is still my all time favorite nano tank and only with the exception of Ching and Nineball.

• 3 weeks later...
Deleted User 4
If anyone sees a good Pre Black Friday, Black Friday, or used deal on an Aqua Illumination Nano, please let me know!

Ohhh, you starting a nano tank??? B)

MeanGreenEyes

Could've sworn I saw an ai nano in the marketplace. BRS is also running their black friday sale with code "GRAVY12" It ends tomorrow.

Love your tank, too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey med.. been a while since I been on your thread.. The last time I was on your thread, you were switching away from AI to radions.. .stunner you got ride of the radions too..

I'm at the point of considering switching my AIs to radions but wondering.. what did you like better in terms of coral growth and coloration, AIs or Radions?

He is busy researching a new set of lights, plasmas I think or maybe a new combo of LED, MH, T5, CF and a candel. :lol:

Seriously, we want an update of this classy tank.

If there's not an update soon ima throw a tantrum.

I'm sorry! I've been super busy and now i'm on vacation. pics when I get back!

Is still up?

Yes

He is busy researching a new set of lights, plasmas I think or maybe a new combo of LED, MH, T5, CF and a candel. :lol:

Seriously, we want an update of this classy tank.

LMAO. I get back on the 31st. I might be able to update on the 1st.

Indeed.

+1

Where are you?

TX!

Hey med.. been a while since I been on your thread.. The last time I was on your thread, you were switching away from AI to radions.. .stunner you got ride of the radions too..

I'm at the point of considering switching my AIs to radions but wondering.. what did you like better in terms of coral growth and coloration, AIs or Radions?

The Radions were much better in almost every way. The color and growth were much better. The only things I liked better on the Sols was the controller and the lunar cycle. That being said, I'd give the Vegas a good look if I was in the market now.

You still have the Pink-Streaked Wrasse? How do you like it? Any idea if it would eat SPS pests, like a 6-line?

I do. She's a very nice addition. I would have loved to have had the pair. I have no idea if it eats pests. It does spend a lot of time scouring the rockwork.

Archived