Pod Your Reef

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

I'm genas brother. Sorry I made them poof from your cart med. But on the bright side, I possibly saved you from another bummer :unsure:

Neither of mine showed any signs of physical damage. Only thing for me is Fedex was late delivering them. But I dont think they got too warm since they were insulated (I received them early afternoon). I can only guess it was stress... And think I read somewhere that wrasse dont ship well. Sad.

That's a bummer :-(. I had the opposite experience with them arriving early saturday morning and the water was very cold. DD packed with an icepack, but they were shipped in temps that weren't warm and arrived too early in the morning for them to have warmed up. At first I thought the cold water was the issue until I saw the physical damage. Does it look like the 2nd one will make it?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a bummer :-(. I had the opposite experience with them arriving early saturday morning and the water was very cold. DD packed with an icepack, but they were shipped in temps that weren't warm and arrived too early in the morning for them to have warmed up. At first I thought the cold water was the issue until I saw the physical damage. Does it look like the 2nd one will make it?

50/50 right now I think. It's hiding halfway behind a ricordea. Still breathing. I turned my mp10s down so she doesn't get blown around. I say 50/50 but I'd be surprised if she pulls through.

I would also like some pics!! And your tank is one if the most amazing I've seen!

I would also like some pics!! And your tank is one if the most amazing I've seen!

Thanks tennis!

Hey guys. I'm in the process of overhauling my lighting. pics soon

Sorry, I forgot about the new lights.

Ok, here's an idea: open up your own light store, "MedRed's slightly used high end lights for sale" :)

Ok, here's an idea: open up your own light store, "MedRed's slightly used high end lights for sale" :)

:lol: I think "Barely" sounds better than "Slightly".

:lol: I think "Barely" sounds better than "Slightly".

Oh you guys... :lol:

I'm truly going to miss my giesemann. It's been a great fixture. Unfortunately my scape requires two halides. With one halide, I can't get light to the far sides of the spires. I'm going to spotlight two pendants on the two back spires.

oh noess! Time to get a wrasse.

I just added the pink streaked. The clam doesn't seem bothered yet. I just noticed a bunch of conical shells poking out from under the mantle near the lip of the shell. I plucked them all off. It's not easy to give me the creepy crawlies... I have no issues with worms or anything like that... but seeing parasitic creatures congregating like that totally grossed me out.

Yet I still picked them up by hand for inspection after pulling them off with tweezers... Science overcomes emotion for me I guess... lol. I took the nail brush i use to scrub aquarium stuff and scrubbed the shell off.gonna keep watch. I might have to detach it.

I've been inspecting every night. So far I've only seen two more adult snails and 2 more babies 1 jelly cluster of eggs. This may not be that bad. I wonder where in the heck they came from. The clam has been in the tank for ages, and I haven't added any snails in over a year.

In retrospect, the perfect lighting setup would have been 3 x 150 pendants hung over each spire. I still need to provide more light to the front of the right spire. I may go with a sol nano turned down really low to illuminate that spire and return me to having a lunar cycle.

I can't tank pics just yet as one fixture is running an aqualine 10,000k bulb which is really dang yellow in comparison to the phoenix. It looks so ugly. Trying to source some Radiums which seem to have dried up. I might have to go with a Phoenix and call it a day.

It looks like the pyramid snails are gone. I've been inspecting and cleaning the clam nightly. I haven't seen any jelly egg cluster either. I still have no idea when I would have introduced them.

so far, the lighting is going well. The back left pillar has a 150w halide over it and the back right pillar has a 250w halide over it. The water temp is definitely warmer. I will have to add a chiller by next summer. The water temp has hit 83º.

I still will need to light the near side of the front pillar. I have two options.

1) Add a 2 bulb T5 strip across the front. I love the look of the T5's and I know I can get the color perfect.

2) Add a Aqua Illumination Nano. This would allow me to light the tank during the times the halides are off and use a perfect lunar cycle at night. I really wouldn't run the whites. I'm leaning towards this option, but I'm not digging how it will affect the pictures I take with the camera. I wouldn't be running the lights past 20% at any point.

If I had it to do over again, I would have done separate, staggered height pendants for each pillar. 150 watts for each back pillar and a 150w or 70w for the front pillar.

I'd love to take a pic of the tank, but the 150w pendant is running a left over Aqua Line 10,000k bulb. It looks horrible and yellow compared to the Phoenix on the other side. I'm trying to source a Radium bulb for that particular fixture, but it seems Radiums are hard to come by these days.

I also have had to reapply epoxy in certain areas to smother the remnants of the SPS I removed. They just won't give up!

The surviving pink streaked wrasse has colored up amazingly well. It was definitely a great addition to the tank. I just wish its mate would have survived.

OMG how tired am I? I just read the post before the last post and they are almost identical. LMAO

I'd love to see updated pics as soon as you get your lights figured out. .......or you could just get two of the new Radions! :)

I'll bet if you placed some T5's as far on the edge as possible it would help get the coverage you need without the shadows. That's what I did. Of course I have the dreaded old Radion.

Good to hear the clam and the new PSW are doing well!!!!

hypersnyper694788

I hope you get everything figured out. I hate to hear about any turmoil in your tank, its seriously is my favorite tank. Hope everything works out

Archived