ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

I was out of town for two weeks. I had a friend check in on my tank 3x while I was gone. I kept things simple for him to check. I had RO water made up for the ato and the food set out. They just needed to add water to the reservoir, feed, and make sure there was no water on the floor.

He checked in and said the reservoir was full of top off water. I wasn't surprised considering the glass lid on the tank and the chiller hooked up. He said there was a lot of algae on the glass, but I didn't think anything of it.

I get home and hear a sucking sound before I can even unlock the door. I get in to find the pump sucking nothing but air. I look at the ATO and it was completely full. I checked the controller for the ATO and the light was blinking red. I jiggled the line and the water started flowing. Apparently there was an air bubble in the line for the ATO. I've had this happen on occasion when filling up the reservoir. I thought I would have made sure it was working before I left.

Anyway, there was no sump turn over, the salinity must have been through the rough, i was still dosing alk and cal, and worst of all, the lid was on the tank and with the pump not being able to pump water to the tank that the chiller had cooled, the tank must have BAKED with 400 watts of MH over it.

All from an air bubble in the ATO line. Almost all of SPS are completely wiped out. The saddest thing is my strawberry shortcake. It's just a skeleton. All of the fish, lps, and softies are fine. Just the SPS and it looks like most of the crabs were wiped out. The tank glass is covered in filamentous algae brown algae. I'm totally bummed. I'm just going to spend the month getting the water parameters back in line, and cleaning things up. Then I'll start back with SPS. I don't know how to put in words how I feel right now. It really sucks.

Really sorry man....i totally know how u feel.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teamschreiba

I'm really sorry to hear this as well :( It always seems to be the smallest and simplest things that cause the problems.

kevantheman35

Really sorry to hear Med :( I look forward to seeing all of you're pics and have enjoyed watching your tank mature. Hope you can get things back on track

Joe'sInTheHouse

Sorry about the loss :( It really sucks how things always go wrong when you aren't around to do anything about it.

Glad to hear that the fish and other corals are alright. It would have been even worse if you had lost the whole lot.

So very sorry to read this!!!! As horrible as it is, at least there is a bright side in that you didn't lose the whole thing. ((((Hugs)))) Keep your chin up.

Very sorry to hear this. Totally understand how you feel.

I do not know why everything has to go wrong when we are away. Everything runs smoothly when we are home.

It happened to me a couple of times.

:tears: Im sorry about the tank Med. Atleast there weren't more losses than there were. Stay strong and bring the beauty back to its glory.

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I haven't wanted to come in this thread since the mishap. Last night I cleaned off the glass and removed all of the skeletons. I do have a few pieces that made it out ok although they are really bleached. My pearlberry is probably the best piece that made it.

I damaged my front pillar pulling off corals to the point where I needed to re-epoxy it. Luckily the zoas had encrusted enough to hold it together. I'll finish reapplying the salvaged pieces tomorrow.

All in all I'm surprised at the resilience of the tank. Alkalinity, salinity, and temperature would have been pretty big spikes that subsequently would have spiked ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates from the die off. The tank must have converted the nutrients pretty quickly with the result being the thick carpet of algae on the glass. I could have ended up with a total loss.

• Like 1

Wow, Med I'm deeply sorry to hear about your tank's mishap. I can't imagine how you felt coming home to that, especially losing that show piece SSC.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update coming soon! Sorry to leave you guys hanging! I haven't been visiting this thread as its depressing. I've made some significant upgrades to the system. On a happy note, my clowns are going to be parents! On a sad note, the babies are going to be eaten by the corals and skimmer :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Archived