ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

buddythelion

Sorry to hear about the crash Med, your tank was always one of my faves. But looks like things are slowly coming back together, and thank the fish lords that the fish made it! I would have been heartbroken if something happened to any of them.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I saw this on face book newyorksteelo, bragging this tank but no credits :(

It's a beautiful shot med! I still love those clowns u use to have.

Thanks everyone! D, I still have those clowns. Although I might be down to one if the female doesn't quit biting me when I put my hands in the tank. It hurts! They just laid eggs a week ago or so. was pretty cool to see.

Deleted User 4

Project Ric-diculous underway. How do you think 35 new ricordeas will look? stay tuned for the answer ;-)

New tank?

eddiecorrea

Med - Can you explain why you switched lights so often? I'd dig through the thread but it would take me days. Just trying to see why you went from AIs to Radions to MH/T5. I went from AI to Radion. Just wanna know your experience. Thanks!

Med - Can you explain why you switched lights so often? I'd dig through the thread but it would take me days. Just trying to see why you went from AIs to Radions to MH/T5. I went from AI to Radion. Just wanna know your experience. Thanks!

Bought into the LED hype and started with the AI Sol Blues. Loved the features, tank temp stayed down even with glass lid on it, loved the lunar light cycle,

The coverage of the Sols with 40 degree optics created too many shadows so I switched to 70 degree optics. Coverage was definitely better. I felt something was missing in the coloration of the corals.

Switched to Radions for the additional colors to fix what I felt was missing. Radions brought out the color better than the Sol Blues and had much better spread. I also noticed that the corals grew better. I did miss the controller of the Sol Blues and missed the lunar cycle. I still felt something was missing color wise from the SPS corals.

Switched to Giesemann Infinity with a 250 w MH + 4 x T5. Immediately saw the impact on color and corals improved over time as well to what I was expecting. Coral growth took off. LOVED the fixture. By far the most aesthetically pleasing light fixture I hung over the tank. I still missed the lunar cycle from the Sol Blues. As SPS grew in I realized my scape was blocking the halide light from reaching the far sides of each of the spires. That was limiting my ability to add sps in those areas.

Bit the bullet and went for the best setup to suit my needs and desires. Added a 250w Aquamedic MH pendant over the right spire and a 150w pendant on the left. Now I have perfect lighting over those spires where I can add SPS all the way around. I still needed to light the front spire, but enough light was getting to to back of it that I didn't need another halide as the front just has zoas on it. Debated between a two strip t5 or a sol nano. Sol nano won out as I missed the lunar cycle and the blues would make the zoas pop.I just run the blues on the nano with no whites.

eddiecorrea

Thanks alot for that breakdown. I'm setting up a 34 Solana right now. I have a Radion over it and I think it is going to suit my needs just fine. I'm still not sure I'm a huge LED believer anymore. T5s and MH always provided great color and growth. Never gave me the issues I am seeing in my current tank. So who knows.

I gotta dig through the thread for the most current shot with the AI Nano over it.

You're welcome!

These guys are shriveled and ugly at the moment. I need them to open up so I can sort them by color before gluing them down. 5e8ZN5i.jpg

Deleted User 4

Ohh you went? How was Max? I went last yr but I thought it sucked soo I decided not to go this year.

I also went to reef-a-plooza last year and it was wayyy better than Max.

Archived