Coral Vue Hydros

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how is your tank going dude? Didn't sign up for so long. I'll go for a new project soon,need some advice. Can I use only dosing pump to maintain SPS, I don't want to use Cal reactor. Is it depend on the size of the tank? whether to use Cal reactor or dosing pump, what is your suggestion btw I'm very busy now so I need the easiest one.

thanks

You came to Dallas and you didn't tell me!?!?! That's just mean.

And hurry up with the pics already. If I wake up with a hangover on the 1st, there had better be pics to help me nurse it!

how is your tank going dude? Didn't sign up for so long. I'll go for a new project soon,need some advice. Can I use only dosing pump to maintain SPS, I don't want to use Cal reactor. Is it depend on the size of the tank? whether to use Cal reactor or dosing pump, what is your suggestion btw I'm very busy now so I need the easiest one.

thanks

I think a dosing pump is the easiest. My LFS uses dosing pumps for their entire store which is heavily SPS.

Oooou Dallas, nice.

It was until the weather went from 82 degrees to 34 degrees in a week.

You came to Dallas and you didn't tell me!?!?! That's just mean.

And hurry up with the pics already. If I wake up with a hangover on the 1st, there had better be pics to help me nurse it!

LMAO, I'll do my best.

Paso hit 21 and it hasnt been that cold for a minute.. Paso Robles that is central coast between L.A & S.F so they dont call it the king of wine for no reason

Deleted User 4

Well... virtually all of my SPS are dead.

Omg!!! Are you serious? Damnit why didn't your friend/house keeper care for it better?

While you were on vacation. Sorry to hear man.

I was out of town for two weeks. I had a friend check in on my tank 3x while I was gone. I kept things simple for him to check. I had RO water made up for the ato and the food set out. They just needed to add water to the reservoir, feed, and make sure there was no water on the floor.

He checked in and said the reservoir was full of top off water. I wasn't surprised considering the glass lid on the tank and the chiller hooked up. He said there was a lot of algae on the glass, but I didn't think anything of it.

I get home and hear a sucking sound before I can even unlock the door. I get in to find the pump sucking nothing but air. I look at the ATO and it was completely full. I checked the controller for the ATO and the light was blinking red. I jiggled the line and the water started flowing. Apparently there was an air bubble in the line for the ATO. I've had this happen on occasion when filling up the reservoir. I thought I would have made sure it was working before I left.

Anyway, there was no sump turn over, the salinity must have been through the rough, i was still dosing alk and cal, and worst of all, the lid was on the tank and with the pump not being able to pump water to the tank that the chiller had cooled, the tank must have BAKED with 400 watts of MH over it.

All from an air bubble in the ATO line. Almost all of SPS are completely wiped out. The saddest thing is my strawberry shortcake. It's just a skeleton. All of the fish, lps, and softies are fine. Just the SPS and it looks like most of the crabs were wiped out. The tank glass is covered in filamentous algae brown algae. I'm totally bummed. I'm just going to spend the month getting the water parameters back in line, and cleaning things up. Then I'll start back with SPS. I don't know how to put in words how I feel right now. It really sucks.

Sucks, man. Look at the bright side tho. With salinity that high and 400w mh with no chiller and the top on I'm surprised everything made it but the SPS and some crabs. Still...very sorry to hear about this. I know that strawberry shortcake was a favorite.

That sucks! I have been silently watching this tank for a while and i have always admired your scape and sps. That absolutely sucks.. I cant wait to see it "going" again though! Keep your head up!

Deleted User 4

Dude, that really sucked but not too bad that your other corals/prized fishes survived.

I'm really sorry to hear man. Just take it slow and steady for now I say.

I was out of town for two weeks. I had a friend check in on my tank 3x while I was gone. I kept things simple for him to check. I had RO water made up for the ato and the food set out. They just needed to add water to the reservoir, feed, and make sure there was no water on the floor.

He checked in and said the reservoir was full of top off water. I wasn't surprised considering the glass lid on the tank and the chiller hooked up. He said there was a lot of algae on the glass, but I didn't think anything of it.

I get home and hear a sucking sound before I can even unlock the door. I get in to find the pump sucking nothing but air. I look at the ATO and it was completely full. I checked the controller for the ATO and the light was blinking red. I jiggled the line and the water started flowing. Apparently there was an air bubble in the line for the ATO. I've had this happen on occasion when filling up the reservoir. I thought I would have made sure it was working before I left.

Anyway, there was no sump turn over, the salinity must have been through the rough, i was still dosing alk and cal, and worst of all, the lid was on the tank and with the pump not being able to pump water to the tank that the chiller had cooled, the tank must have BAKED with 400 watts of MH over it.

All from an air bubble in the ATO line. Almost all of SPS are completely wiped out. The saddest thing is my strawberry shortcake. It's just a skeleton. All of the fish, lps, and softies are fine. Just the SPS and it looks like most of the crabs were wiped out. The tank glass is covered in filamentous algae brown algae. I'm totally bummed. I'm just going to spend the month getting the water parameters back in line, and cleaning things up. Then I'll start back with SPS. I don't know how to put in words how I feel right now. It really sucks.

Sorry to hear med, simply wonderful what you've created and it takes a shit so quick. I've been through a crash, a slow And painful one. It's discouraging at less and All you can do is be glad you didn't lose everything.

Mike. I'm so sorry to hear of the tank. Truly. I am hoping for a speedy recovery for it. Can't Remember if you have a controller but it could have possibly alerted you of the temperature and salinity situation. I'm bummed this happened. :grouphug:

I am sorry to hear this new. I am very reluctant to take vacations for this reason. Im sure you will bounce back and better than before :thumbsup:

hypersnyper694788

That sucks so bad, good luck getting everything back in line, ill keep my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Holy crap Mike!!!!!! It always seems to happen when anyone goes out of town, for a day or three weeks, that's whenall bad shiit happens. Why is that????????

I still keep putting getting an Apex on the back burner........

Sorry to hear Med :-( Glad what lived , lived.. .especially the candy basslets.

Before you get more SPS, get an Apex controller... I stopped buying more coral for my tank until I was able to afford the controller. I'll never run another tank without one. With a webcam and the apex controller, I feel pretty confident leaving my tank for an extended period of time. I've already planned to put my ATO reservoir in plain view of the webcam whenever I am on vacation.

Archived