ReefCleaners.org

MedRed's 60 Gal Solana XL: The End of an Era

MedRed

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Build one....im in the process of building a top for my sump...

+1

It's not that hard to do Med.

Deckoz2302
That is one sexy looking sump setup... Just remember, it all gets covered in salt and grime eventually!

Not if you're a clean freak....equipment should never be left to dirty

polarblair2000

WHo makes the sump?

Royal Exclusive makes them, they are called dream boxes :) and I want one too! but they are so expensive. I really like the reactors they do as well that fits into these sumps perfectly. But for they are very pricey and it would be a job to keep them looking pristine all the time.

No thanks. I saw how much they are and would rather use a 20 gallon long as a sump.

I can buy lots of corals for that $$.

Spirofucci

That is one sexy looking sump setup... Just remember, it all gets covered in salt and grime eventually!

Doesn't that happen to everything that is sexy?

I'll pay the price if I can obtain the merchandise... lol. I don't have the skills to build such a thing.

That's why I had Jeff @ Lifereef make me mine. :)

Spirofucci

Do you have a picture of your sump? I've never seen it.

I do, but i'm at work and don't have access to photobucket......

I'm very, very happy with the craftsmanship and functionality. The wrorst problem he has is a long waiting list.

Deckoz2302
Your sump is beautiful. If I used a table saw I'd lose a finger and have crooked acrylic panels.

Thats why table saws have guides and you push with a block not ypur hand....miter saw or circular haha ive come close to loosing a finger..

But really its pretty easy and cheap. I could probably recreate that sump above with 250 bucks of acrylic or less. And my dad has a cnc machine for curved pieces

Given your screen name, a trigger systems sump would be fabulous.

Your sump is beautiful. If I used a table saw I'd lose a finger and have crooked acrylic panels.

Would loose the table, the floor, prolly a window with flying debris too.

• 2 weeks later...
NirvanaandTool

Been awhile since I last posted in here (like 2 years or something crazy like that). And Med, you are still a crazy sob. 4 fixtures? INSANITY.

Looking good man. Cant wait to see how things grow with the uber-light setup.

Mind if I ask where you purchased the aqua medic fixtures? their website doesnt have the reflector/metal halide combo, and amazon lists the 150W unit for about $100, don't know if it comes with the bulb, it just says balast mot included.... Reason I ask is because I found your thread through search. Appreciate any point in the right direction you might be able to give.

Besides all that, your aquascape is ridiculous my friend.

Given your screen name, a trigger systems sump would be fabulous.

Would loose the table, the floor, prolly a window with flying debris too.

I just looked up their sumps. They look great but they are all too big :-(. I need 24" or less

Been awhile since I last posted in here (like 2 years or something crazy like that). And Med, you are still a crazy sob. 4 fixtures? INSANITY.

Looking good man. Cant wait to see how things grow with the uber-light setup.

Ha ha... thanks. It's a lot of light. It seems like everything is adjusting well so far.

... Thats why table saws have guides and you push with a block not ypur hand....miter saw or circular haha ive come close to loosing a finger.. But really its pretty easy and cheap. I could probably recreate that sump above with 250 bucks of acrylic or less. And my dad has a cnc machine for curved pieces

If someone could recreate one of those sumps, that'd be amazing!

Mind if I ask where you purchased the aqua medic fixtures? their website doesnt have the reflector/metal halide combo, and amazon lists the 150W unit for about $100, don't know if it comes with the bulb, it just says balast mot included.... Reason I ask is because I found your thread through search. Appreciate any point in the right direction you might be able to give. Besides all that, your aquascape is ridiculous my friend.

Thank you! I bought them from Hellolights.com years ago. I don't think they carry them anymore. Aquamedic sells the fixture/ballast combos for a great price on their website.

http://www.aqua-medic.com/product/ocean-light-1x150w/

The dimensions are a lot larger than the compact ones I bought.

Really appreciate it. And I like the look you achieved with your current light situation.

What would you say is your personal favorite light set up you've had, based purely on aesthetic appeal?

The Giesemann Infiniti was hands down the best. The fixture looked great and the color spectrum it put out was great. If I didn't have such a weird scape I never would have switched.

Some random pump my LFS had and said was a good pump. EcoPlus Submersible Pump - 633 GPH. I think it may actually be meant for hydroponics

I see. And does your chiller run often? I have an undersized pump and am wondering if that's the reason my chiller turns on more than I think it should.

You know what, I don't know. I know that when it does turn on, it's not on very long. I think an undersized pump would make it stay on longer than normal but wouldn't affect the frequency of turning on. Most likely your tank just heats up quickly.

Archived